Author Topic: Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Spell Resistance  (Read 3462 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Spell Resistance
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »
SR is a binary mechanic that is easily ignored in most cases. Time to fix that.

Clarification: This is an ADDITION to existing SR rules that adds new options for character possessing SR.

Caveat: Since I'm not trying to rewrite massive amounts of splatbook content, the fix has to work using existing SR values.

The Fix:Spell Resistant [Spell Resistance]
You are less likely to be affected by certain spells.
Benefits:
You gain a bonus to saving throws vs magic equal to 1/10th your SR
Your bonus improves to 1/5th your SR.
You may roll twice on saving throws vs magic, taking the roll of your choice.

Spellshielded [Spell Resistance]
You are especially resistant to a specific energy type.
Benefits:
Choose an energy type. You gain a resistance to that energy type equal to 1/4 your SR.
Your energy resistance improves to 1/2 your SR.
Your energy resistance is equal to your SR.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, with each one applying to a different energy type

Shake it off [Spell Resistance]
You take a moment to internalize your Spell Resistance to shake off a specific effect.
Benefits:
You may make a dispel check (d20 + [SR - 10]) as an immediate action against a spell that is targeting you (such as charm person). If you succeed then you are immune to the ongoing effects of that spell for its duration.
You may make a dispel check (d20 + [SR - 10]) as an immediate action against an ongoing spell effect that is affecting you (such as a cloudkill). If you succeed you become immune to the effects of the spell for its duration.
You may make a dispel check (d20 + [SR - 10]) as a free action action against an ongoing spell effect (such as a forcecage) 1/Day for every 5 you surpass SR Z. If you succeed you are immune to the effects of the spell (meaning you can walk through the forcecage)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Spell Resistance
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
Well, it looks like you're trying to nerf the hell out of SR with these changes.  In addition to making it weaker, it looks like it also takes a feat to get a small set of abilities.  This approach does have the benefit of making Conjuration less uber.

That being said, I'm not sure that Spell Resistant should apply to just one school.  The benefit is actually quite small, and if people can just switch which school they're casting, the feat will be useless.  Also, there are lots of spells that don't offer a save, and touch spells will totally bypass this.  You may want the bonus to apply to touch AC as well.

Spellshielded is also pretty weak for the most part.  I'd suggest either increasing the amount of energy resistance, or having it apply across the board to all types of energy at the values you've listed.  Remember, this costs a feat to use, and it's still a nerf to SR as it's written.

As for the math on Shake it Off, simply use d20 + (SR - 10) against the caster's caster level check or have the caster make a caster level check against your static SR.  I mean, that's now a normal dispel check works, and SR is already designed to oppose CL anyway.  You just choose the first approach if you like opposed rolls.  If you use the second approach, it's basically the same as how SR works now, except that it takes an immediate action to use.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I've never had SR come up in my games, as we avoid SR spells like the plague. This was meant as an addition to the current SR. I'll clarify that. In this case the binary system is still there, but now you have options to use WITH it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
Oh.  I thought you were replacing it.  That might change things then... ;)
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Oh.  I thought you were replacing it.  That might change things then... ;)

Yeah, SR is the AC for spells. I just thought we needed a boost for saves, as well as a "DR" and a "Parry"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
Well, before you on improving SR, how do you plan to handle all the "SR: No" spells (like 90% of Conjuration)?  Would those feats apply to SR: No spells anyway?  If not, then people will just pick spells that bypass SR unless they can't, and this won't change much, anyway.  As the system stands currently, people only pick SR: Yes spells when they have to or when it doesn't matter (buffs, utility, etc).
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:37:56 AM »
Well, before you on improving SR, how do you plan to handle all the "SR: No" spells (like 90% of Conjuration)?  Would those feats apply to SR: No spells anyway?  If not, then people will just pick spells that bypass SR unless they can't, and this won't change much, anyway.  As the system stands currently, people only pick SR: Yes spells when they have to or when it doesn't matter (buffs, utility, etc).

These feats add bonuses to people that have SR and can be used regardless of the y/n status of the spells. I'm trying to give people a use for SR that isn't SR:Yes spells.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
That makes sense.  You'll probably want Spell Resistant to grant a bonus to touch AC against spells too, otherwise touch spells will be the default for dealing with SR.  I guess you'll still have stuff to deal with like Solid Fog, but you could possibly extend Shake it Off to work on spell-generated effects that aren't specifically targeting you.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »
Gotta go with SR Y.  It provides a good number of benefits if you take the feats. But it shouldn't be school or energy specific, otherwise its not worth the feat cost.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
For Spell Resistance I use:
Reduce caster level of spells cast against you by (SR - 10), negating them if they reach CL0. In addition, reduce the spell's effective level by half this amount, negating it if it reaches a negative amount. If the spell would not allow Spell Resistance, halve the reductions.

For instance, SR18 would reduce caster level by 8 and spell level by 4. Against a spell which does not allow spell resistance it reduces caster level by 4 and spell level by 2.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
So where does that leave Spell Penetration and the like?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
So where does that leave Spell Penetration and the like?
If that was in response to me: Ignores 2 points of Spell Resistance.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
Of course, for stuff like Enervation, if you can keep your CL at at least 1, it still works at full power, albeit at a reduced range.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:14 AM »
For Spell Resistance I use:
Reduce caster level of spells cast against you by (SR - 10), negating them if they reach CL0. In addition, reduce the spell's effective level by half this amount, negating it if it reaches a negative amount. If the spell would not allow Spell Resistance, halve the reductions.

For instance, SR18 would reduce caster level by 8 and spell level by 4. Against a spell which does not allow spell resistance it reduces caster level by 4 and spell level by 2.

I like this. It might be a little too powerful for basic SR, but if you remove the "No=Half" part it would make a good core mechanic replacement for SR.