Author Topic: No core Magic  (Read 16150 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
No core Magic
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »
Its morning, you have just got done with a relaxing breakfast after your bath. You hear commotion out side, that you go to check out. The smell of smoke burns into your nostrils as you head out side. A group of creatures are abducting people, different creatures are attacking the Kings house.
The port city of Huron is in ruin.
A blood red moon is blotting out the sun. One of the creatures sees you, it lets out a shriek, then a different creature bursts from the ground.
Suddenly...

You wake up, it is a little later than normal.

Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: No core Magic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Well, I didn't get into CantripN's game, so I'm in this one.  :)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
Imterested
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
Its morning, you have just got done with a relaxing breakfast after your bath. You hear commotion out side, that you go to check out. The smell of smoke burns into your nostrils as you head out side. A group of creatures are abducting people, different creatures are attacking the Kings house.
The port city of Huron is in ruin.
A blood red moon is blotting out the sun. One of the creatures sees you, it lets out a shriek, then a different creature bursts from the ground.
Suddenly...

You wake up, it is a little later than normal.

Blood Red moon? Nice touch I hope that doesn't mean one of those old ones is about to show up.
I think I've got my build also is there a parent thread?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
DANG IT, why are they invading early? I told them to wait.

(I'm playing, by the by.)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »
I'm in, too.

For the record, from the other thread, these were the characters I had in mind, althoug I'm not quite satisfied, because I'm not sure the level of generalization required for the game. I mean, most PbP games I've played are less group focused, so usually specializing your character, as per usual D&D assumptions, is a Bad ThingTM. But we have a lot of players, so maybe generalizing isn't the best option, either.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Neutral Good Warforged Dragonborn (Senses Aspect)
DFA 5 / Incarnate 2 / Soulcaster 10

Str 8 (0)
Dex 12 (6)
Con 21 (13) + level bonuses
Int 11 (3)
Wis 6 (0)
Cha 14 (10)

Traits:
-Absent Minded
-Slow

Flaw: Non-combatant

Feats:
1-Entangling Breath
1-Air Heritage
3-Ability Focus (Breath Weapon)
6-Incarnum Spellshaper
9-Flyby Attack
12-Double Chakra
15-Improved Initiative

Invocations:
-Endure Exposure
-Draconic Knowledge
-Humanoid Shape
-Walk Unseen
-Chilling Fog
-Baleful Geas

Skills:
-Diplomacy
-Intimidate
-Use Magic Device
-Bluff
[/spoiler]
This character mostly plays as a mobile BFC; is fairly able to tank thanks to AC, saves and sky high HP; has some limited healing abilities; and is pretty good as a party face and decent as a Know-It-All (though I can change that to specialize as party face, adding together decent Cha + Beguiling Influence + Silvertongue Mask, for a +21 at 4th level to bluff and diplomacy, and +15 to intimidate).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryhel, Scion of the Water Dragon
[spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Neutral Good Half Elf Dragonborn (Winged Aspect) (Intermediate Water Elemental Bloodline)
Binder 4 / Crusader 1 / Bloodline 1 / Crusader +2 / Knight of the Sacred Seal 4 (Amon) / Bloodline +1 / Knight of the Sacred Seal +1 / Eternal Blade 1

Str 15 (8) +1(bloodline)
Dex 12 (6)
Con 16 (6)
Int 10 (2)
Wis 8 (0)
Cha 16 (10)

Traits:
-Plucky
-Stout

Skills:
-Gather Information
-Intimidate
-Knowledge (Religion)
-Sense Motive

Flaw: Shaky

Feats:
1-Combat Reflexes
1-Standstill
3-Weapon Focus (Glaive)
4(Binder)-Improved Binding
4(Bloodline)-Power Attack
6-Entangling Exhalation
9-Leap Attack
12-Improved Bullrush
15-Shock trooper

Maneuvers:
1-Crusader's Strike, Charging Minotaur, Dousing the Flames
2-Foehammer, Tactical Strike
3-White Raven Tactics, Iron Heart Surge

Stances:
1-Iron Guard's Glare
3-Thicket of Blades
[/spoiler]
This one starts mostly as a lockdown tank, gains some BFC abilities and a lot of utility, and ends being able to dish decent amounts of damage.

Well, that's it. I can't decide on which to take, and, of course, I'd love some input on them. I'm starting to think I'm trying to do too much, given the amount of players, but both incarnates and binders are prone to that.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:13:42 AM »
Still in of course.

If you're considering campaign names, may I recommend Tiers of Happiness?  :smirk okay, okay, I promise not to pun anymore.

edit: how big will the group be?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:25:09 AM by Gods_Trick »

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:48:28 AM »
If you're considering campaign names, may I recommend Tiers of Happiness?  :smirk okay, okay, I promise not to pun anymore.
Why not? Me likes puns.
edit: how big will the group be?
AFAIK, in the old thread there were about 6-7 players who wanted to be in. And McPoyo wasn't between them. So, assuming no pruning is applied, there should be 7-8 players, but IIRC lans asked for about 5-6, so I think that there will be some pruning involved.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:51:04 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
I'll remove my name, that's quite a load of players :)
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
Ok, I'd like to clarify the exact rules for the game. Summarizing the other thread:

General character rules:
Starting level: 6
Abilities: 32 PB
Intended level at the end of the game: 13-15

Book Rules:
None specified. It is assumed that sources will be accepted on a case by case basis.
Third party and homebrew may or may not be allowed.

Class Rules:
No class with spellcasting or manifesting ability is avaiable, unless it can be substituted for something. Artificer isn't allowed either. Also, Factotums may be allowed, assuming a change on the way his spell-like abilities work. That leaves us with:
Code: [Select]
-Aristocrat
-Barbarian
-Commoner
-Eidolon
-Expert
-Factotum
-Fighter
-Marshal
-Monk
-Ninja
-Noble
-Paladin
-Ranger
-Rogue
-Samurai (OA)
-Samurai (CW)
-Scout
-Soulknife
-Spellthief
-Swashbuckler
-Warlock
-Warrior
-Incarnate
-Soulborn
-Totemist
-Binder
-Shadowcaster
-Truenamer
-Dragon Shaman
-Knight
-Crusader
-Swordsage
-Warblade
-Racial Paragon
-Dragonfire Adept

Shadowcaster casting is modified:
For the shadow caster I'm going to give it another mystery selection at every even level and cap the level max level available so it doesn't allow early access to the next levels mysteries. So at 4th you would have 6 selections but not be allowed 3rd level mysteries, and would have needed 2 first level mysteries before you took a second level, and 2 second before you could take a third level one at level 5.

Not changing the path requirements or giving bonuses for high stats.

Truenamer casting is also modified:
I changed truenaming calculations to 15+1.5*CR. Not a big change, but 45 vs level 20 is much more doable than 55.  

Binder restrictions:
I'm banning the summoning vestige. I think its going to be too powerful with what were working with.

Races rules:
No LA races. Are races with racial HD but no LA allowed? Are racial classes from Savage Species allowed?

Monster rules:
Monsters with spellcasting abilities or with a long list of SLAs are MIA or get some alternate magic system instead.

Magic Items:
No magic item with the ability to replicate a spell effect. That includes Wands, Scrolls, Staves, many Rods, many Wondrous Items and some Rings.

Any other rule?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, a recap of the party:

Gods_Trick: Truenamer
Midnight_v: Feral Dreadlord. Buildy!
Littha: ?? / Shadow Sentinel? // Shadowcaster / Eldritch Knight?
Amechra: Warlock / Io7V
The_Mad_Linguist: Aerie Greenwind, Spellthief extraordinaire
Shadeseraph: Ryhel Deis, Dragon Knight (Binder)
Kaelik: ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:02:52 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
Party is a bit bigger than I wanted, but I think I can work with it.

I changed truenaming calculations to 15+1.5*CR. Not a big change, but 45 vs level 20 is much more doable than 55. 
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:05 PM »
Dungeonomicon Monk?

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
Party is a bit bigger than I wanted, but I think I can work with it.

Excellent. Any thoughts if its treated as an arcane or divine class? Reviewing the book, the current Truenamer specific PrCs are an insult to intelligence and the class, which is pretty hard to insult  :rollseyes.

I am looking at better non-TN specific PrCs, which will require a little work, which I can do and run by you, to make most of it compatible.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:55:21 PM »
I think you should let 'im qualify for Swiftblade with Greater Speed of the Zephyr; it would be throwing him a bone, and flavor-wise it is shmexy.

"Alright, world, I'm gonna move real fast now."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:09 PM »
I think you should let 'im qualify for Swiftblade with Greater Speed of the Zephyr; it would be throwing him a bone, and flavor-wise it is shmexy.

"Alright, world, I am the hurricane."

Hmm, needs to be faster ....

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
Eh, just paint 'im red.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 11:25:57 PM »
Eh, just paint 'im red.

Just call me an orc and paint me red universe!

Btw, are we starting at level 1?

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 12:06:07 AM »
Lans said that we would be starting at levels 4-6, and he has allowed us to choose the specific level. I've got no problem with 4, 5 or 6.
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
6, please and thank you.

(I want a nice Greater Invocation to start with.)

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 12:13:54 AM »

Hmm. 3 to 4 tends to signal the point RNG stops being a huge factor and you don't worry aout being randomly critted by a kobold. 5 is usually where the game starts to diverge to a quadratic versus linear classes. For the purpose of testing, that would probably the one that counts.

I vote level 5. I also suggest we put up a CO diary so the 'research' is easy found.