Author Topic: Gizmos, Gadgets, and Thingamajigs.  (Read 2246 times)

blacklitelust

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Gizmos, Gadgets, and Thingamajigs.
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I want to make a character that uses various items (ordinary or otherwise) in out of the ordinary ways. I saw a thread once that gave interesting tips on items to choose when going on an adventure, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I don't know where to start character wise, but I do know I want a large amount of cheap items that I can combine for interesting effects.

Any ideas?
I don't recall the part of Kamehameha where people launched redwoods at each other.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Re: Gizmos, Gadgets, and Thingamajigs.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0

There's surely other threads out there but that's a start I guess.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
You're going to play an Artificer and that's that. Thingamabobs are his forte.

Complete Scoundrel have some alchemical items worth looking into, there's plenty of magic items as well in the Magic Item Compendium and the DMG of course.

There was a thread with "Low level spells that you make strong" or some such. Will probably have at least one idea that's transferable to items.
Scrolls if nothing else...
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

IthroZada

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Artificer's Spell Storing Item infusion really lets you make thingamabobs. The item stores any spell at 4th level or below for 1 hour/level. The Artificer thread mentions storing Speak with Dead in a dead body, or Charm Person in a gold coin for a super effective bribe. A few uses I've found, especially using the Spell Compendium, are spells that let you make a bridge that can hold 200 pounds/level, or Beget Bogun, giving you a little vegetable servant by storing the spell in the body you made for the spell. There are some other ones that give you a temporary flight or swim speed... That infusion really allows you to have the worlds largest bag of tools, with the only down sides being that it costs about 1 minute to cast,  you get at most 4 casts of it per day without a sufficient intelligence modifier for bonus infusions, and it costs a small amount of XP.

I suppose this counts more as using obscure spells for utility, but combining it with specific items really makes for fun roleplaying.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
That article talks about using magical pigments to make masterwork items....

They can apparantly do this after looking over it, they are stupidly expensive compared to shapesand though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:33:46 PM by Littha »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

blacklitelust

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:46:27 AM »
Those were helpful, but the thread I'm looking for had things like combining a Quaal's Feather Token Tree, a Tower Shield, and an Immovable Rod to create a portable tree for bull-rushing enemies... amongst other extremely convoluted item based schemes. Anyone have any ideas like that?
I don't recall the part of Kamehameha where people launched redwoods at each other.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »
I've been working on a truenamer for the item restoration utterance. Item familiar and a bonus competence item make him a decent tier 3 or 4 caster, and he can reuse potion tiles forever.