Author Topic: Possible ramifications of Ranger/Paladin spellcasting alteration?  (Read 1789 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
What if Rangers, Paladins, and Hexblades (and any other class that gets spellcasting later than level 1) knew their entire spell list like a Warmage or Dread necro?  How would that alter game balance?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
Re: Possible ramifications of Ranger/Paladin spellcasting alteration?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:22:18 AM »
I doubt it.  They get so few spells as it is.  Giving them some more flexibility w/ them isn't going to make much of a difference.

Also, it's not like they were powerhouse classes to begin w/.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
Rangers and paladins at least, I can be certain it makes near no difference.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:29:16 AM »
Only the Hexblade would notice. The Ranger and Paladin are prepared casters, and have no spells known.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
Spellthief gets to know every 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion and transmutation spells from the sorcerer/wizard spells list. That's not half-bad me thinks.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
I have a paladin in my game with this change. Cha based casting, spontaneous, knows the whole list from the PHB, can add other sources in game. If he ever shows up to another game he might start leveling and I'll let you know how he fares.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »

Spellthief works nicely. Rangers and Paladins who get acces to Wiz/Sorc spell list go up a tier at least with this houserule.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:34:05 PM »
Sorry, I meant if the half-casting classes worked like Warmage in that they were all spontaneous and could had their entire list as spells known.

Paladins, I think, would benefit the least as their spell list doesn't have much good stuff on it.  Rangers would benefit significantly and Spellthiefs would probably jump a tier or two.  This is just my prediction, though.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.