Author Topic: Telepathic Warrior..  (Read 4954 times)

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Telepathic Warrior..
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:11:55 AM »
I've been looking for stuff to build a character from level 1 to 20 who is based heavily in controlling weapons with his mind. For the best visual representative for it..

[spoiler]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100831091250/fairytail/images/thumb/7/77/Never_piss.jpg/653px-Never_piss.jpg[/spoiler]

Oddly the psionic warrior doesn't seem to fall into this too well. So far I've found things such as tune of the dancing blade from one of the dragons (The battle bard one) and a few from spell comprendrium.

Currently I'm thinking battle sorcerer, as I want the guy to be able to fight somewhat, while using these spells. I can take up to two flaws, and my race will be lupin (Dragon Compendrium Vol 1) I can also take 2 traits. Can take homebrew stuff from the DnDwiki, but only if its not broken. Even though the build should be a bit min/maxed just not too crazy in it. (I like to be a bit more balanced, and don't want to totally outshine)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Re: Telepathic Warrior..
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:39 AM »
I think telepaths can do that... I'll have to go look for psypowers that let you control objects. The power is in the srd.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:33:42 AM »
A standard psy gish Ranger 2/Psion 4/SLayer 10/something 4 which selects Telekinetic thrust might work extremely well for your idea.... a ghost/MotUH might also be interesting

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:48:13 AM »
Thrust would only be good when "throwing" a weapon. But not swinging a weapon.

I think ghost is the one thing my DM won't let me play, as I did consider this. But constantly taking hits to cha is pretty harsh.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:15 AM »
If you take MotUH, you get the ability to wield weapons with telekinesis - and even make full attacks with them.

Chain spell can be applied to the weapon wielding aspect of telekinesis.

Wield like ten or twenty blades at once.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »
If you are not opposed to homebrew the blade dancer http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8475196&postcount=6r might be what you want

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »
The biggest problem with master of the unseen hand is the lack of spellcasting progression. Meaning, I'd have to wait till at least level 9-10 before I could start doing it, and then I'd be limited to pulling off just once or twice per day.
While on the other hand, using spells such as Dance of Steel, Persistent blade, Tune of the Dancing weapon, Dancing weapon, Shield bearer.. All these almost nearly get what I'm looking for.

Now the blade dancer seems intresting.. other than I have to be wu-jen to do it, though admittedly I've always wanted to make a metal wu-gen. I just don't like taking a bunch of flaws throughout my progression.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:08:06 AM »
Changeling Ghost 4 (use LA buyoff as you go)/(Swordsage or Warblade) 5/MotUH 5/Cabinet Trickster 5/Mindspy 5

If you can't use LA buyoff, only take 2 Ghost levels and drop the spares from MotUH and Mindspy.  Another way to boost your abilities might be to change out Mindspy levels for Bloodline levels.  Charisma basically powers everything in this build.

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »
I've got a racial limitation of being Lupin, due to story elements. I've tried going ghost when my Swordsage died, but the DM won't allow it.

I'm also limited right now to level 2 and soon level 3, so I need elements that get the thing to work early on as even just a faint glimmer. I've so far accomplished this by going battle sorc, taking the feat near the back of complete arcane and gaining access to Tune of the Dancing Weapon as a level 1 sorc. Just have to make a caster check of 8 and I can cast a 2nd level spell at level 1. Later I get to keep that extra spell slot.

Right now, My build goes down Battle Sorc until I can reach EK. The MotUH is nice, and was most of the inspiration of the character, but frankly.. not being able to really do what I'm looking for till level 10+ and then only being able to do it once or twice, and not being able to metamagic on it. (To get prof with all M weapons, I took Duskblade, so I'm having more magic)

(What the heck does swordsage, warblade, cabinet trickster and mindspy even do for that build?)

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:28:18 AM »
look up Jean Grey.  Its a MotUH build that does some crazy things with weapons.  I know you're concerned about the lack of spellcasting, but check it out for some ideas.

Triskavanski

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 04:09:11 AM »
Kay this is my character build design.

There is two goals of the character. To be both good at ranged via TK but also to be able to wack enemies up close as well.

So that means Battle Sorc 5, Duskblade 1, EK X, and then whatever else.

Dusk is mostly taken for martial weapon prof. Also gives a bunch of utility spells.. Could be replaced by any class that gives martial weapon prof.

Spells include
1st level spells, Persistent blade and shield bearer. Possibly scatterspray/greater mage hand.
2nd level: Tune of the Dancing Weapon and Whirling blade, Other possible inclusions are Cloud of Daggers, Hurl ect.
3rd level: Steel Dance (same as TotDW, but now 2 at a time and equal to caster level duration)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:15 AM »
I think you mean telekinetic warrior. A telepathic warrior would be more like a mindspy. :P
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
What about a Telephobic warrior?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
Yeah the Jean Grey build ... and there was a movie around '07 or '08
that basically hacked this concept.

PsyWar with the Mind's Eye soulknife-ish acf ... and can call more than one weapon.
Needs a recharge set-up and minor seasoning to keep up with the biggest boys.
Still, it'd be no more than a normally effective PsyWar.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
Yeah the Jean Grey build ... and there was a movie around '07 or '08
that basically hacked this concept.

PsyWar with the Mind's Eye soulknife-ish acf ... and can call more than one weapon.
Needs a recharge set-up and minor seasoning to keep up with the biggest boys.
Still, it'd be no more than a normally effective PsyWar.

There's a feat in Hyperconscious that gives you ability-damage/drain/burn resistance 3. Combine this with Body Fuel, and you're good to go.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]