Author Topic: Getting a new computer  (Read 1818 times)

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Getting a new computer
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:41:56 AM »
When my mom gets her tax refund,we will be getting a new computer,however she will be chipping in 200$ and the rest is up to me,however due to my budget issues i can at the max put in roughly 300$

so right now my three top choices are the following computers:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-BT529AA-ABA/14978548

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-EL1352G-41w/15686810

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AX3400G-U4802/15686808

making my own is not an option either,nor is saving up more sicne its a one time offer only.

I plan to play WoW and counter strike srouce along with the half life series and have Itunes on the computer.
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Getting a new computer
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:02:01 AM »
games = ram + video card

avoid vista

xp is preferable, 7 is fine.  nix is actually preferable but thats another thread altogether...

after checking your links, i think the 400$ is the one to get, 4gb ram 3.1gb cpu.

have you checked craigslist?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:38:15 AM »
This is what i'm currently using

Sony VAIO PCV-RS520
Pentium 4 3E GHz (Hyper-Threading), 512 MB RAM
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
RAM: 512 MB
Harddrive:160 GB
Graphics and Display

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200
Graphics RAM: 128 MB
Interface: AGP

All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:42:29 AM »
k, so, instead of buying new, check what your current ram limit is and video card slot situation is..

and just upgrade those.

Anim-manga sux.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:42 AM »
k, so, instead of buying new, check what your current ram limit is and video card slot situation is..

and just upgrade those.

from my understanding i'd haveto get a new processor for a new graphics card...and the graphics card would be pricey cuz of the interface

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »
Most modern graphic cards are PCIe only, and your motherboard has AGP slots, so if you want to upgrade your graphic card, it is almost assured you'll have to change your motherboard too, and that means that you'l have to change your processor.

The games and apps you want don't have high specifications, so you should be fine with a not so awesome computer. That said, all of them have crap-ass graphic cards, which is the most needed part in a game, so I'd suggest buying one of them (the second or the third) and then buying a decent graphic card for it.

Right now, a NVIDIA GT 9800 or a GT 220, or an ATI Radeon 2600 are pretty low cost and should give you enough to run those games without any problem with high quality settings.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net

Anim-manga sux.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
olla mi amigo, i dont recall spain having an embargo on japanese products.

Anim-manga sux.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »
olla mi amigo, i dont recall spain having an embargo on japanese products.

Nop, but they are pretty difficult to get, because most retailers don't sell them.
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]