Author Topic: Help with a cleric build for an Undead heavy campaign  (Read 7012 times)

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Help with a cleric build for an Undead heavy campaign
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
Hello all, I have been a lurker here for a while, but this is my first real post.

I will be playing in an undead heavy adventure starting on Friday, and am considering bringing a cleric build to the table.
We will be starting at 7th level with standard WBL (19000gp, no more than 1/2 on a single item)

So far I have:
Human Cloistered Cleric 6 / Radiant Servant of Pelor 1
Feats:
Domain: Knowledge Devotion
Domain: Sun Devotion
Human: Extra Turning
1st: Extend Spell
3rd: Persistent Spell
6th: Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell

Rolled Stats: 18, 17, 16, 15, 15, 15
Able to have pathfinder human bonus (+2 to any one stat)
and considering starting at age 35+ for (-1 physical, +1 mental), and using 4th level boost to Wisdom
for stats of Str 14, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 22 Cha 17

Domains: Knowledge (cloistered cleric), Sun, and Healing (with spontaneous domain casting healing, to gain the benefit of free empower/maximize from radiant servant)

Thinking for Equipment: Nightstick, Wis booster +2, +1 silvered Morningstar with least truedeath crystal, MW Fullplate, MW Heavy Shield, and about 3000gp left to spend

This will give my 14 regular turn undead attempts per day for 2 persistent spells, and 6 greater turn undead attempts (from RSoP) for actual turning use

I am considering using the persists to use Mass Lesser Vigor, and Divine Power, along with keeping Celestial Brilliance active (1/day per caster level duration)

I am looking for suggestions of what feats to take in the future (or if I can convince the DM to allow flaws), and what spells to be looking into (both for persisting and generally for casting)

This build is still open to complete reworking until Friday

Thanks for the help,

Kig

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Help with a cleric build for an Undead heavy campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
Probably worth pimping out turning if it's going to be truly undead heavy. Quicken Turning and such. Also, those items to increase turning level.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:13:03 AM »
Reliquary Holy Symbol, MIC pg 110; grants 2 more turns/day for 1000gp.
There are a lot of trinkets from MIC that I quite like, your mileage may vary.

Radiant Servant of Pelor gets you full martial weapons, so you could at least upgrade to a longsword for a slightly better crit range, or go the 2 hander route (with an animate shield, once you can do that) if you like.

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I am thinking of sticking with the morningstar primarily has more undead (other than zombies) require bludgeoning to overcome DR, but I like the added piercing dmg rather than the bigger crit of the warhammer (especially against undead), I will probably also pick up a long sword for dealing with zombies.

Some other advice I'd like is what spells from sources other than the PHB are suggested for dealing with undead specifically or general use/utility (I have access to most sources, but I have not gone completely over the spell compendium).

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »
A Rod of Defiance (MiC) will help a lot here, as it gives -4 to turn resistance of any undead nearby.  If there's someone who can make the perform check (even a Sorc can do it) a Lyre of the Restful Soul gives another -4, and that means Turn Undead instantly nukes all undead in the area.

JaronK

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:39:51 AM »
Any spell requiring a Fortitude save and functioning on objects is generally really good against Undead.  Disintegrate is normally crap because a saving throw makes it do jack shit, but Undead are really unlikely to make that save.  If you're just wading through undead, then Sunbeam would be worthwhile as well.  It's nothing special as a blast in terms of action economy, but firing off all 6 beams will do a lot of damage for any single spell, especially if you blast light-sensitive undead.  What's more, since Undead tend to have lowish HP then blasting them is a bit more effective, anyway.

That said, save-or-suck spells are not terribly efficient most of the time.  Mindless undead tend to be really strong, so immobilizing effects that can be broken with Strength checks are less useful.  Immunities cover damn near everything else.  As a Cleric, I suggest focusing on buffs, with a few blasts mixed in if you come across mook undead that are difficult to turn (like Ghouls).

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:13 AM »
A weapon made from purple mournlode (Magic of Eberron 141) costs +700 gp and overcomes the DR of undead as though it is both silver and cold iron, without the drawbacks of either. 

Sanctified armor (Dungeonscape 34) costs +50 gp and and lets you use the armor as a divine focus.  A restful crystal (Magic Item Compendium 26) costs 500 gp and lets you sleep in your armor with no penalty. 

A sepulchral vest (Magic Item Compendium 133) costs 2,000 gp and gives you a +5 sacred bonus to saves against undead as an immediate action three times per day. 

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:39 AM »
You should Rebuke. If you are willing to take it as far as me, its quite satisfying. There's nothing like owning (literally) the DM's 200+HD undead eldritch abomination. "YOINK!"
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
You should Rebuke. If you are willing to take it as far as me, its quite satisfying. There's nothing like owning (literally) the DM's 200+HD undead eldritch abomination. "YOINK!"
This was my thought as well.

The enemy of myself is my friend. :D
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
Rebuking would certainly be interesting, but the the group is going for more of a crusade against the undead.  The world has an entire nation run and ruled by the undead, and our group is going to start fighting them.  I think rebuking would not fit the group well, but we'll see.  If this cleric gets it, depending on how the group goes I might bring in more of a rebuking necromancer build (seeking to take over rather than eradicate).

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
Rebuking would certainly be interesting, but the the group is going for more of a crusade against the undead.  The world has an entire nation run and ruled by the undead, and our group is going to start fighting them.  I think rebuking would not fit the group well, but we'll see.  If this cleric gets it, depending on how the group goes I might bring in more of a rebuking necromancer build (seeking to take over rather than eradicate).
Nothing says you can't be a plant to weed the scourge from the inside out. A (neutral) good guy whose purpose is to take over and destroy.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
be a bone knight(Five Nations) and make armor out of the undead you slay( ahem... and rebuke)   

there is no alignment restriction and it even turns your turning into rebuking when you take the first level  ... so ... LG with rebuke!
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Janthkin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
Nothing says you can't be a plant to weed the scourge from the inside out. A (neutral) good guy whose purpose is to take over and destroy.
So, Malconvoker fluff, but applied to undead.  I like that.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
So, Malconvoker fluff, but applied to undead.  I like that.
In this case, undead are merely tools, and a means to an end. You can hate them all you want, but there's very little more dangerous to undead than constructs and other undead, since they're basically immune to their own abilities.

Maybe play an incarnate/cleric/sapphire hierarch with necrocarnum and necrocarnate zombies.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »
Great ideas for urning the enemies into useful tools, I think I may have to save that as a back up character concept though, as I won't have time to fill it out tonight.

Can any of you suggest any spells that really stand out as being useful for a cleric outside of the PHB for a game like this. (I have access to just about every source, but have not gone through the spell compendium for example).  I'm thinking celestial brilliance will be useful from BoED.

Also are lesser mass vigor and divine power the two spells I should persist or do you have other suggestions.

Thanks for the help and options everyone.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
Celestial brilliance is an especially good spell for a Radiant Servant of Pelor. Not only will it dispel almost any Darkness spell, the radius is doubled via the Radiance ability. If there are hordes of low-HD slow moving undead, most of them will die before they cross the 240 feet of demolition.

Ras F

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
I can't really help with spells, but I have been able to collect a few sources for turning items. Some were already covered, and this isn't fully comprehensive.

Mace of Undead Prowess- Ghostwalk: 7,812gp, +2 turn levels.
Phylactery of Undead Turning- SRD: 11,000gp, +4 turn levels.
Circlet of Persuasion- SRD: 4,500 +3 competance Turn Undead 'damage'.
Sacred armor enhancement- BoED: +2 equiv, +2 turn levels.
Commanding armor enhancement- DotF: +2 equiv, +4 competence to Charisma.
Cloak of Charisma +2_+6- SRD: 4k-36k +1-3 Turn Undead 'damage' and turns/day.
Nightstick- LiMo: 7,500gp, Extra Turning.
Rod of Defiance- LiMo: 13,000gp, undead <30' = -4 turn resistance
Rod of Defiance- MiC56: 7,312, undead <30' = -4(min 1) HD relative to turn/rebuke.
Rod of Authority- DotF: 20,576gp, +4 turn levels.
Scepter of the Netherworld- LiMo: 9,000gp, +3 turn levels.
Moonfriend Ring- EtCRL: 9,000gp, +3 turn levels.
Greater Holy Symbol- DotF: 5,040gp, Empower Turning.
Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol- ECS: 750gp, +1 turn level.
Reliquary Holy Symbol- MiC: 1000gp, Extra turns per requirement met.
Ephod of Authority- MiC: 800gp, +1 turn level.
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help I think I am going to go with:

Human Cloistered Cleric 6 / Radiant Servant of Pelor 1
Flaws:
Inattentive (-4 spot/listen)
Shaky (-2 ranged attacks)

Feats:
Domain: Knowledge Devotion
Domain: Sun Devotion
Flaw: Quicken Turning
Flaw: Empower Turning
Human: Extra Turning
1st: Extend Spell
3rd: Persistent Spell
6th: Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell

Rolled Stats: 18, 17, 16, 15, 15, 15
Able to have pathfinder human bonus (+2 to any one stat)
and considering starting at age 35+ for (-1 physical, +1 mental), and using 4th level boost to Wisdom
for stats of Str 14, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 22 Cha 17

Domains: Knowledge (cloistered cleric), Sun, and Healing (with spontaneous domain casting healing, to gain the benefit of free empower/maximize from radiant servant)

Thinking for Equipment: Nightstick, Rod of Defiance (MIC, converted to a morningstar, made of purple mournlode), a Flametouched Reliquary Holy Symbol, MW Fullplate, MW Heavy Shield, MW Purple Mournlode Battleaxe, and change

Thanks again for the help,

Kig

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
I am sorry this is a day late, but maybe you can still try to get your DM to allow one of these two items into the game.

There are two Weapons of Legacy items that are very undead killing centric and are designed for Clerics.

Divine Spark, Weapon of Legacy p72
It is considered a Silver Holy Symbol
Treated as your Turning is 4 levels higher
Continuous Protection from Evil
1/day Magic Circle against Evil
1/day Maximized Searing Light
Of Resistance +5
The Item of Legacy Abilities are free for Level 17, 18, 19, and 20 so you and your DM get to finish the Item of Legacy.  This is because this Item only has 2 legacies but not the third legacy.

Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p217
Treated as your Turning is 4 levels higher
Dancing Lights, Flare, Light at Will
Can Detect Undead at Will within 60ft as a Standard Action
All your Attacks bypass all Damage Reduction of Undead
2/day Halt Undead
3/day Cure Light Wounds
Daylight At Will
1/day Death Ward
1/day Break Enchantment
+6 Enhancement to Wisdom
3/day Mass Heal

Kigvan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »
Thanks for pointing those out to me, I did not even think about checking legacy weap stuff.  I may be pretty hard to get them now though, as he has decided items that have abilities specifically for use against undead are going to cost double market value (but sell for full normal market value) in this world due to the demand for such items.  (though we can still find such items in treasure, as we found a suit of +2 Ghost Touch Full Plate on Friday)

I will definitely bring them up though.