Author Topic: The Labyrinth of Computer Part Names  (Read 1775 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
The Labyrinth of Computer Part Names
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
So I'm trying to build a computer, and the motherboard I ordered doesn't exist. I'm now trying to find a new one, but before I continue, I'd like to clear something up. I've been told that using an Intel processor with an AMD motherboard wouldn't be a problem, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to reconcile the nomenclature for the processor socket. What AMD designation does an LGA 775 Intel socket correspond to, if any (it's possible I've heard wrong, obviously)?

EDIT: Second question. Will a PCI Express 2.0 slot accept a PCI Express card?Wikipedia handled that one, and I feel dumb for not checking first.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:19:04 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: The Labyrinth of Computer Part Names
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
if the cpu socket and the mobo socket match your golden.

get a combo, that way its a no brainer
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »

Seconded.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »

Seconded.

Too late, I already bought the processor and had it delivered. I had bought the motherboard at the same time, and was sure it matched. But then it turned out the catalogue was in error and the manufacturer didn't actually make them anymore.

See, I had to order from Dell, because my mother had got me a bunch of money in gift card form. So this "Your product does not exist" shit is not entirely unprecedented. Anyway, I found a decent one on Newegg (which actually does have an LGA 775 socket, so the whole thread is now useless) and am now trying to find other things to piss away the Dell money on.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »
So I'm trying to build a computer, and the motherboard I ordered doesn't exist. I'm now trying to find a new one, but before I continue, I'd like to clear something up. I've been told that using an Intel processor with an AMD motherboard wouldn't be a problem, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to reconcile the nomenclature for the processor socket. What AMD designation does an LGA 775 Intel socket correspond to, if any (it's possible I've heard wrong, obviously)?

EDIT: Second question. Will a PCI Express 2.0 slot accept a PCI Express card?Wikipedia handled that one, and I feel dumb for not checking first.

AMD and Intel motherboard and processor architectures are different, even if both use the PC (x86/x64) general architecture. Even more so if we start talking about 64 bit architecture (AMD64 versus EM64T). So I'm pretty sure you can't mix them. I don't know who told you otherwise, but as far as I know, he lied.

There are some exceptions, such as this, but they are built specifically to allow such things.

In fact, Intel sockets have a smaller area than AMD sockets, so they don't fit.
Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

Socket LGA 775 size: 1.09mm x 1.17mm
Socket AM2, AM2+, AM3 (the most usual AMD sockets) size: 1.27mm x 1.27mm

Moreover, the number in the name for intel sockets is usually the number of pins it has. In the same page I posted before you can see how no AMD socket has the same amount of pins.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:04:46 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Gotcha. Thanks for the information, anyway.