Author Topic: Sode #18: Scope and Boundaries  (Read 9837 times)

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Sode #18: Scope and Boundaries
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »
I don't really see a law/chaos dichotomy,
Luke is a  lawful character as is Leia. Han Lando and Chewie on the other hand, are definitely chaotic.

Conversely no one is more law and order focused than the empire.
I think this may be where you got this idea of law and chaos. However, There is also a great deal of pro-law sentiment on the other side.
The polarizing issue is whether or not its ok to kill thousands of people .

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 07:45:37 PM »
actually, I suppose one has to define what dichotomy they're talking about, the rebels vrs the empire is admittedly good vrs. evil, but if one gets into the sith/jedi thing, the sith are, at their base, chaotic, not evil, and the jedi are, at their base, lawful, not good. Now, granted, every sith shown in the movies has been evil both for metaplot reasons and because I will admit that being chaotic does, probably, very quickly lead to being evil because you're more willing to commit questionable acts in pursuit of your goal, and probably every jedi shown in the movies has been good, but really what the jedi philosophy shows is a philosophy of law, not good, just like the sith philosophy is a philosophy of chaos, not evil. However this also stands on the stupid core D&D assumption that l/c is emotionless/emotion based.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »
actually, I suppose one has to define what dichotomy they're talking about, the rebels vrs the empire is admittedly good vrs. evil, but if one gets into the sith/jedi thing, the sith are, at their base, chaotic, not evil, and the jedi are, at their base, lawful, not good. Now, granted, every sith shown in the movies has been evil both for metaplot reasons and because I will admit that being chaotic does, probably, very quickly lead to being evil because you're more willing to commit questionable acts in pursuit of your goal, and probably every jedi shown in the movies has been good, but really what the jedi philosophy shows is a philosophy of law, not good, just like the sith philosophy is a philosophy of chaos, not evil. However this also stands on the stupid core D&D assumption that l/c is emotionless/emotion based.
Evil does not often call itself evil. 

But the expressions that are key here are:
1) Killing people with the force is the dark side.  Indicating that a moral choice is important to some agency.
2) Giving into anger and hate are the dark side.  Again both moral choices.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:49 PM »
Just before the first commercial was the funniest thing I've ever heard you guys do.  Awesome.
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 01:31:30 AM »
Why should someone not play a nightbane in a rifts game? I was under the impression that the point of rifts was that all kinds of crazy shit is rifting all the fucking time. I thought the entire point of it was that you can play anything you can stat.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:50:49 AM »
Why should someone not play a nightbane in a rifts game? I was under the impression that the point of rifts was that all kinds of crazy shit is rifting all the fucking time. I thought the entire point of it was that you can play anything you can stat.
Did we say that?  What time?
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 03:00:59 AM »
I know I said it. 

Mostly because I did it.  In college I played in a Rifts game and played a Nightbane.  It didn't work- at all.  We had to totally shoehorn the character into the Rifts rules (though they are the same basic rules, Nightbane are meant to be badasses in a normal world.  When in Rifts, nothing holds up). 

They are totally different settings.  Sure Rifts has a ton coming through, but there are billizions of sourcebooks for Rifts with a millizion character choices.  To snub it all and take something that doesn't really fit is douchebagerific. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Doctor X

• Monkey bussiness
  • Wacky Neighbor
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
Just started on this episode.  Came to the party late, listening to them in order.

But while we're on the subject of openings you're forced to watch all the way through and sing along to...

It's a jungle out there.  Disorder and confusion everywhere.
No one seems to care.  Well, I do.
Hey, who's in charge here?

It's a jungle out there.  Poison in the very air we breathe.
Know what's in the water that you drink?  Well, I do.
It's a...ma...zing.

People think I'm crazy to worry all the time.
You paid attention, you'd be worried too.
You'd better pay attention or this world we love so much...
Might.  Just.  Kill.  You.

I could be wrong here...
but I don't think so.

Cause it's a jungle out there.
It's a jungle out there.

Oh, and THEN you mention Monk.  Right on!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:52:16 PM by Doctor X »
"The police take you down to the station for Questioning.  Everyone take 1D3 points of Questioning."  -Me to my Call of Cthulhu players on numerous occasions.