Author Topic: "You have wronged me. Here is my vengeance sevenfold." [3.5, Discipline, Vile]  (Read 2372 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Unrepentant Hunter Discipline

The discovery of this discipline was one of the most horrid events in Reshar's days before he founded his great school for the Sublime Way. One day, he was walking along a road when a storm sprang up; luckily, he spotted a keep ahead, where he then hoped to take shelter within. As he reached the door, he knocked; there was no answer. So he opened the door, and saw a sight that made his blood run cold and his warrior's heart stutter; within, the floor was covered in hours-old blood. As were the walls. And the ceiling. As he inspected the walls closer, he noticed that the blood splatters were not random; indeed, they formed what was essentially the martial scrolls for a discipline he had never seen before, and did not particularly want to see again. But, striving for courage, he checked inside, just in case something might have survived; but it became readily apparent that everything was dead. Guards, servants, a women clutching a pair of babes to her chest, a group of hunting dogs... and the crowning piece of the whole macabre scene, a corpse, seated at the tallest chair at the table, with what looked to be all his blood painted on the wall behind him. However, this writing was not instructions towards some vile martial technique; rather, it was six words: "This is for raping my wife." And underneath was written, in a less violent fashion, the words, "I know there is no redemption for my soul; I only pray there is none for his."

Reshar tried to burn the place, but failed. So he left, and never told a single soul of what he saw that day. But the keep still stands, and the blood still seems fresh on the walls...

[spoiler]So, what the hell is this for? Basically, this is going to be a Vile discipline. I'm talking "couldn't be used lightheartedly if you tried, unless you completely changed the flavor" discipline. I got the idea for this from the Bane Wraiths from HoH, whose one distinguishing feature is that they automatically know where an enemy's most loved one is, and they go and kill that person. So this is not a happy fun discipline. It will also only be accessible by a Touchstone feat, because people using this discipline tend to not be sane enough to teach anything...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Alright, mechanics time: I'm going to use a mechanic I found somewhere, and which I quite liked, called Temporary Damage. Basically, it is the inverse of temporary HP; it gets healed first, can't kill someone, and leaves automatically after a couple hours. Basically, if you have temporary damage equal to your hitpoints+10, you go into a coma until they heal, instead of dying; if, however, the amount of actual damage dealt to you goes past your HP+10, you still die. Capisch?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Maneuver List
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:58 AM »
The main skill for Unrepentant Hunter is Decipher Script, as the sheer insanity of hate that empowers the user manifests itself partially as grapholalia. [spoiler]Also, I haven't seen a Discipline using Decipher Script yet. Don't worry, I'll make this make sense.[/spoiler]

The Discipline Weapons are the scythe, spiked chain, executioner's mace, natural weapons, longbow, harpoon, crescent knife, and unarmed strike.

1st Level
Painful Vengeance (Counter): Enemy that has dealt you damage in combat gets struck by a bloody blow from your weapons.
Lunatic's Sight (Stance): Can use Decipher Script as Sense Motive and Forgery for Bluff checks.
No-where to Flee (Strike): Target takes 1d6 Temporary damage, armor and equipment carried are treated as one category higher.
Vengeful Adjustment (Boost): When attacked while flatfooted, expend to no longer be flatfooted.
2nd Level
Heartseeker (Boost): Decipher Script check to tell where the nearest loved one of an attacked creature.
Widen their Wounds (Strike): Target takes an amount of nonlethal damage equal to the normal damage dealt to them, and they are fatigued.
Defenses of Agony (Counter): Attacker takes half the damage they dealt to you as Temporary damage.
3rd Level
Messages Within Blood (Stance): Attacks leave writing in the target's blood; sacrifice all attacks in a round to cause the message to have the effect of a temporary Symbol of Pain.
Harm the Beloved Ones (Strike): Target takes 2d6 Temporary damage; their most intimate loved one takes an amount of Temporary damage depending on the initiator's initiator level.
Thirst for Blood (Boost): All attacks are Wounding for this round.
4th Level

5th Level
Make Them Hurt (Stance): Able to deal nonlethal damage to any enemy; nonlethal damage cannot be healed within a certain distance of the initiator, and Temporary damage is only healed at half the normal amount.
6th Level

7th Level

8th Level
Nothing but Hate and Pain(Stance): All allies that see you hurt one of their allies take nonlethal damage equal to your Initiator level, and lose all Morale bonuses.
9th Level
Murder Warranted but Mis-achieved (Strike) Target takes 16d6 temporary damage, and if slain or rendered comatose, is harder to awaken or resurrect.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:00:11 PM by Amechra »

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Maneuvers A-L
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:08:43 AM »
Reserved

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Maneuvers M-Z
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:09:30 AM »
Reserved

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Feats
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »
Reserved

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
Questions, comments, concerns (cover your eyes, little Jimmy!)

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I meant to say that the fluff for this seems awesome, but I'm not sure I'm in with the Temporary Damage and Decipher Script deal... if you're trying to murder someone I feel like Temporary Damage isn't really what you'd want to be dealing in.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Well, knocking someone out with temporary damage leaves them only a coup-de-grace away from death anyway. So you could feasibly render your target comatose and then take your time whittling away at their actual health/revive them just enough so they can feel it. If you want to prolong someone's suffering, it seems like it could be decent.

Withholding judgment on the Decipher Script until I see the writing on the walls.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
That eighth-level stance looks a bit crazy. Compare it to, say, Supreme Blade Parry, Strength of Stone, or Swarm Tactics. DR 5/--, immunity to critical hits, or granting a +5 bonus on attack rolls to your allies if you're both next to an opponent compared to murdering a guy and watching every single one of his allies who can see him take half as much damage (and unless it's worded properly, you leave the possibility of feedback loops open).

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
So I should probably tone that down? Will do so.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Will Lunatic's Sight have any in-combat benefits? I don't think there are any stances or maneuvers in ToB that don't have any combat benefits or improved movement capabilities. Even Hunter's Stance (the one that gives Scent) lets you detect and pinpoint enemies.

Vengeful Adjustment is kinda useless. For one, if you're being attacked while flat-footed, it almost requires it to not be your turn, thus preventing you from using the swift action that a boost requires. Second, the most common source of flat-footedness is being attacked before you take an action. If Vengeful Adjustment was a counter, it would require you to spend an immediate action, which would in itself remove the flat-footed state from you in that case. It would protect you from unusual sources of being flat-footed, though. Also worth noting is that you can't take an immediate action while flat-footed, but you can write an exception into this maneuver.

I see what you mean by a "vile" discipline. I take it there are going to be more maneuvers focused on harming loved ones rather than the immediate threat?

I'm with Bozwevial on making temporary damage entirely nonlethal. If you're just killing your enemies, you might as well use lethal damage. The way you have it now, there's only a difference in that 10 HP band between 0 and -9. On the other hand, I don't really see the big difference between the original nonlethal version of temp damage and actual nonlethal damage. Rather than introducing a new mechanic with a new number to track, why not just use nonlethal damage with a qualifier that it bypasses immunity to nonlethal damage (or just use lethal damage, as appropriate).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
I'll probably just go with Nonlethal, because they get a stance that let's them use Nonlethal damage on stuff that is immune.

Yeppers on the agony causing. The beauty of Harm the Beloved Ones is that the one your using it on knows that you did it too, so they're caused extra agony.

And Lunatic's Sight lets you feint using Forgery (which will still be opposed with Forgery  :smirk), and stops feints with Decipher Script. Basically, you are "reading the opponent", preventing them from getting you of your guard.

Vengeful Adjustment is more of a placeholder while I think of something freaky.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Okay, you've won me over on the Decipher Script theme. :clap

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Have you considered combining vile damage with nonlethal damage? That is, having vile nonlethal damage, which would function as both vile damage (can't be healed except under certain circumstances) and nonlethal damage (heals more rapidly, doesn't kill).

If you're looking for ideas, I got some inspiration of my own from your work. I don't have enough for a full discipline, but maybe there's something you can get out of this.

[spoiler]
An eye for an eye. Let the whole world go blind.

Cyclical Revenge: A martial discipline of injustice paid back. Inspired by Amechra's Unrepentant Hunter discipline. Focuses on simple revenge paying back what has been done to you. Higher level maneuvers go further, changing from possibly justified revenge into unrestrained vengeance as the effects paid back exceed the effects taken in.

Effects:
Strikes that copy and/or transfer status conditions from you onto your target. Grows into causing conditions that you aren't afflicted with yet.
Counters that provoke AoOs from your attackers.
Effects that scale based on the number of attacks made against you/against those near you within the last round. Grows into scaling with the number of attacks that nearby enemies could have made against you, rather than what they actually did.
Boosts that mimic rage (higher levels mimic stronger barbarian rages), but last only one round. Effects may be improved if you've been attacked since the last round. Does not qualify you for options and other effects that require the ability to rage.

Names:
An Eye for an Eye
Injustice is Served

[/spoiler]
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]