Author Topic: Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America  (Read 17455 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »
the cathlic church would have plenty of scholars though

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »
the cathlic church would have plenty of scholars though
I was saying that I didn't want to go the scholar direction. It doesn't fit my view of the character. Where as Medium could be a gift they don't understand, Mesmerist seems too gypsy like for something a "good catholic" would do, occultist would work due to the curiosity factor, NP for the same reason as scholar (just not the direction I want them to go), acolyte well worshiping idols or other gods would be frowned on by the church though I could sing this (that by itself is almost enough reason to play that character), and Duelist is too high class for a farmer's child IMO.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
I'll keep trying to think of something then.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 12:36:27 PM »
Don't kill yourself trying to make something for my character. I'll think of something that works for them. After all the world is what it is, they have to deal with it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
Since Jackson would probably be more of a duelist for this campaign, unless you think this'll be combat-heavy as opposed to getting-the-fuck-away-from-outsiders heavy, then I'll probably be more interested in your mesmerist. I feel like hypnosis (and illusions? only guessing) could come in handy.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
d20 Future advance classes that would work with possibly some minor tweaking (weapons proficiencies/skills): Ambassador, Explorer, Field Officer (peek here Amechra).

d20 Modern also has Soldier, Gunslinger, Daredevil, and Investigator that can be used with tweaking.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Since Jackson would probably be more of a duelist for this campaign, unless you think this'll be combat-heavy as opposed to getting-the-fuck-away-from-outsiders heavy, then I'll probably be more interested in your mesmerist. I feel like hypnosis (and illusions? only guessing) could come in handy.

It'll be the usual lovecraftion oh fuck campaign, but you will have to fight at some point.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »

It'll be the usual lovecraftion oh fuck campaign, but you will have to fight at some point.
Well, the hypnotist no doubt has SOME form of ability in combat. I'm probably going to be interested in that class, if you don't mind. It's a PrC, or a base?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2011, 02:36:20 AM »
they're all PrC's.  SInce I haven't made d20 modern PrC's before I was thinking of putting up a thread for working on them.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2011, 02:46:40 AM »

Do you have room for another player? I thought this thread was still the discussion thread, and since my American histroy starts and ends with the musical 1776 and a study of Ben Franklin, I didn't check on it much.

I'd be down for a meti Charismatic Hero swindler type.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2011, 03:52:34 AM »
we do have room still yes.  You will make number 5 I believe.

You guys should also prolly start thinking about how you know one another

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2011, 05:05:59 AM »
we do have room still yes.  You will make number 5 I believe.

You guys should also prolly start thinking about how you know one another

Excellent! Perhaps Andrew Jackson shot me in a card game once - thats like saying hi for him  :D

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
Mine could easily be a servant to a rich house hold that another player lives in/owns. We would definitely need to all have been living in the same town for a while.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

Haven't figured my build yet, but I'm planning for a intermittently rich gambler who conceals the fact hes a half breed, one quarter Iraqois in fact. Are you meti or a full blood AA?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »
Would likely be of full French decent. Just pissed we got kicked out of our colony. I figure my character's family would have gone to a port town since that would be the most likely place to find work. We stayed there and learned whatever trades we could in order to be able to make a living.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »

Few questions. Are we rolling for Wealth? Whats the starting level? Allegiances?

[spoiler]My background is rather fantastic, a meti born of mixed French and Iraqois blood who was 'adopted' by Protestant missionaries. He was mostly used as a translator and strengthened their cover as kindly travelling priests. Their real purpose was a occult arm of the RC Church to see the extent of deviltry and paganism among the tribes.

When the task was complete subverted the cruel church trope and neither silenced or abandoned him, they brought him back to Spain. The Devil chooses his own though,  and he kicked the traces as soon as he could and lived the high life as a gambler and swinder in Europe, till legal entaglements and bills forced him back to the New World.

So where does that leave him as a build? Hes a Charismatic Hero at the earlier levels, unlikely but maybe some Smart for the skills depending on the level we start. I'd like to aim for an occults PrC, but whats appropriate for his mishmash of Native beliefs, clerical training and general fuck-you-Aquinas philosophy?[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
As with all things d20M if you are unsure Fast is probably your best bet as a base and from there pick an occupation to nab the skills you feel you should have that aren't on your list.

I believe BHU said we are starting at level 1 as well.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »
Did you insult my poor mother, who died on f***ing prison ships of smallpox? Did you, you cur?

( :D! He was only playing when he shot you.)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »
I was hoping to start at 1 unless there are strong objections.  GO ahead and roll for wealth unless there's a better sugestion.

I was also hoping to have some new Feats (including Heritage) up but things have really interfered with me this week.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »
I need to replace my CPU fan soon so there may be a day off.