Author Topic: Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America  (Read 17492 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:41 AM »
Ok Bz does the Enlightnment Ability seem fair?

Also has anyone seen Prime?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »
I personally like enlighten, but I'll leave it to the person taking the class.

Does anyone else think this isn't so much a campaign as much as an excuse for bhu to come up with a different splat-book of PrCs? :P I'm just messing with you dude, keep it up.

PipTheBlue

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
Okay, native servant it is then. Anyone know the tribe he should belong to given our starting location?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:36:21 AM by PipTheBlue »

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
Sounds fair to me. I had planned to pick up Knowledge (arcane lore) from a starting occupation anyway, so hopefully I won't lose too much sanity.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
Okay, native servant it is then. Anyone know the tribe he should belong to given our starting location?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_American_tribes_in_North_Carolina  only thing i found in quick search

please be aware one of the other players characters may hate native americans...

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
Yo

(Look up Andrew Jackson. I'll be playing him as accurately as I feel possible. Of course, his personality may take a different path than the historic, but that is to be expected.)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2011, 04:42:58 AM »
Pbp Thread will be titles September 1776.  When it appears everyone IM Prime hugs  ;)

PipTheBlue

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
I'll give Mr. Jackson's wiki a good look and then figure out a way to both play a cherokee and avoid nasty PvP-ing  :)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2011, 02:50:40 AM »
I need to find some info on firearms/explosives rules for stuff to be invented or existing within the time frame of the campaign before I can finihs up the Natural Philosophers inventing rules (your help is appreciated).

That being said I'll get a head start on the next one I guess:

OCCULTIST

All your life you have studied the old books and legends waiting for the day when magic would return.  You knew eventually the stars would be right and the Gates would open again, and that day has come.  It is time you stopped being persecuted and took your rightful place in the world.  For some this means joining the creatures coming through from Outside, for some it means opposing them.  Either way, you're one of the few people who has an idea about what the hell is going on.

REQUIREMENTS
   Skills:  Knowledge (Arcana) 6 ranks, Decipher Script 6 ranks, Research 6 ranks
   Feats:  Iron Will, and either Educated or Studious

Hit Die: The Occultist gains 1d6 hit points per level.  The character's Constitution Modifier applies.

Action Points: An Occultist gains a number of Action Points equal to 6 plus one half her Level, rounded down, whenever she attains a Level in this Class.

Class Skills
 The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (Arcane Lore, Current Events, Earth and Life Sciences, History, Physical Sciences, Theology and Philosophy)(Int), Research (Int), Search (Int), and Speak Language (None).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 6 + int

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will   DB  RP  Abilities
1. +0    +1     +0     +1     +0  +0
2. +1    +2     +0     +2     +1  +1
3. +1    +2     +1     +2     +1  +1
4. +2    +2     +1     +2     +1  +1
5. +2    +3     +1     +3     +2  +2
6. +3    +3     +2     +3     +2  +2
7. +3    +4     +2     +4     +2  +2
8. +4    +4     +2     +4     +3  +3
9. +4    +4     +3     +4     +3  +3
10.+5    +5     +3     +5     +3  +3

Class Features:

Ready to Use Duellist

Name
Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
Action Points
------------------------------------------------
Defense , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +  
------------------------------------------------
Speed   ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
Occupation
SQ
Feats
Talents
Skills
Possessions

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:22:27 AM by bhu »

PipTheBlue

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2011, 06:25:56 AM »
I don't know whether you're using D20 Past, bhu. There's a lot of rules in there for historical firearms and explosives. What kind of rules are you looking for for the Natural Philosopher?

About Andrew Jackson's Indian Removal, he had the following to say:
This emigration should be voluntary, for it would be as cruel as unjust to compel the aborigines to abandon the graves of their fathers and seek a home in a distant land. But they should be distinctly informed that if they remain within the limits of the States they must be subject to their laws. In return for their obedience as individuals they will without doubt be protected in the enjoyment of those possessions which they have improved by their industry.
As my character will be a loyal servant to a white master (either filled in by bhu or anyone who calls dibs), I think there shouldn't be too much tension between the two.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
I advise you to take a look at the Trail of Tears. He laughed at a Supreme Court decision to prevent abuse of Indian Sovereignty

One of my friends refers to him as "the Native American equivalent of Hitler."

Product of his time, though.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
forum is up!
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

PipTheBlue

« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
Damn Amechra, you're not making this easy, are you?  ;)

Either way, it doesn't really matter whether Jackson hugged or burned Indians: the main thing is I want to play a character that won't be shot by another player in the first round, so I may as well think of another character concept. What's the deadline, bhu?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:14 PM »
No one has submitted a PC yet, and things are weird for me in rl, so you can take some time
I am using d20 Past, the rules I wanna make for the natural philosopher involve allowing them to invent and modify firearms and explosives

and remember, everybody pm hugs to prime  :smirk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:14:03 PM by bhu »

PipTheBlue

« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:01 AM »
How about this: make a list of different upgrade groups, like rate of fire, range, firing mechanism, damage and special.

At the time of play, flintlock firearms are all the rage. If the Natural Philosopher wants to upgrade a firearms from flintlock to percussion cap (which has a much better reloading time), you look up the earliest occurrence of the mechanism, which is 1830 for percussion cap. The Natural Philosopher rolls a Craft(Mechanical?) DC 10 + (amount of time until it will actually be invented)/5. In this example it's DC 21.

Use this as a rule of thumb for other upgrades too. Though I'd say damage increase could come from modifying the bullets, so ask a Demolitions check for that instead. Range can be increased in various ways, from extending the barrel to attaching a scope. Not sure how you would call the DC's for that.

Special is for crazy modifications, like hiding a pistol in your hat and firing it by blinking your eye or a spring mechanism that gives the benefit of the quickdraw feat. DC's would be pretty high, though I have no idea how to call them.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2011, 04:56:53 AM »
Now that we have an official thread I'm moving the classes there, and we can let this thread go.