Author Topic: Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America  (Read 17493 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Will be using D20 Modern.  I'll need to add some sort of stress/sanity system and magic.  Also need to decide what city it will be set in.

Original discussion was here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10705.0

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Lovecraftian Campaign set in Colonial America
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »
You could always pick somewhere in North Carolina. Then you'd be able to use the Lost Colony as an adventure hook.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
I'm in.

And I agree: Roanoak!
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Sign me up for Cthulhu level fun.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
Okay thats three.  Im thinking a max of three more should do it.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »
About what level we starting at, do ya think?

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:12:46 AM »
I was thinking first since i wanted you guys to be young

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »
Okay here's the idea for the campaign:

You guys were kids who signed up for the war, and it ended before you really got involved.  You have ... many questions about that.  It is September in 1776. and unlike in our timeline John Hancock is still the president under the Articles of Confederation.  All overseas trade has stopped, and it is a time of great distress.  The colonies are squabbling amongst themselves over resources, and while it's assumed they'll eventually shut up and get down to the business of surviving, no one's holding their breath.  Since Wilmington is the only seaside (or close to it) city I could find existing at the time, you guys are there unless you have objections.  Ships that leave the sight of land don't return, and trade from overseas is now non existent.  Even the fishing boats don't go out far, and some of what they haul up any more is...disturbing and unappetizing.  Many rumors exist, and the Indians appear to be in hiding.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
Check and check. NOw I've gotta find some wildly inaccurate period-films to watch for inspiration. Also atomic robo.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »
I cans play as Andrew Jackson?

:D

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »

My instincts say this bad but I'll let you do your best to convince me  :smirk

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:37:39 AM »

It was the right time period, and I can and will research him REALLY closely. Plus, he might have been extremely touchy and violent, but that is true of most southern young people of the time. Really, when you get down to it, if he liked you and felt comraderie towards you, he would duel for your honor.

He wasn't cowardly, at all, or a wimp; case in point, he once won a duel by calmly aiming and shooting the man who managed to hit him straight on about 5 minutes before. So in other words, he was badass.

Only real problems I can foresee are his supreme hatred for the British/Indians, his extremely draconian methods of discipline (the story goes that his army won the last battle of the War of 1812 because his men were more afraid of him than the British), and his readiness to duel to the death. So as long as you keep me out of a position of power, I should be absolutely fine playing Andrew Jackson.

tl;dr
[spoiler]1. I will play him as accurately as possible.
2. I'll take being Andrew Jackson seriously.
3. I'll make sure to keep it enjoyable for the other players.[/spoiler]

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:33 AM »
So that's why both the pistols of his assassin misfired. Jackson was dabbling in sorcery.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 01:02:33 AM »
Wait, you didn't now that?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »
It also helps explain the Trail of Tears rather nicely.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »

It was the right time period, and I can and will research him REALLY closely. Plus, he might have been extremely touchy and violent, but that is true of most southern young people of the time. Really, when you get down to it, if he liked you and felt comraderie towards you, he would duel for your honor.

He wasn't cowardly, at all, or a wimp; case in point, he once won a duel by calmly aiming and shooting the man who managed to hit him straight on about 5 minutes before. So in other words, he was badass.

Only real problems I can foresee are his supreme hatred for the British/Indians, his extremely draconian methods of discipline (the story goes that his army won the last battle of the War of 1812 because his men were more afraid of him than the British), and his readiness to duel to the death. So as long as you keep me out of a position of power, I should be absolutely fine playing Andrew Jackson.

tl;dr

If you're this dedicated to it I guess we can give it a shot.  Something to keep in mind though, being as this is Lovecraftian: You can't really win certain fights.  I guess what I'm saying is that if it's 8 times your height, it's there to set up a scene, not your opponent of the day ;)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
Can I try my hand at someone from my cultural heritage? I'm looking at an Acadian Exile. It ended in 1863 so my character would have been a toddler when evicted from what is now Nova Scotia. He would still be rather pissed at those Brits.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
Sure

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »

tl;dr

If you're this dedicated to it I guess we can give it a shot.  Something to keep in mind though, being as this is Lovecraftian: You can't really win certain fights.  I guess what I'm saying is that if it's 8 times your height, it's there to set up a scene, not your opponent of the day ;)

Jackson wasn't stupid. He might take some shots as they retreat, though.  :D

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]