Author Topic: Mechanical methods of min-maxing the malevolent?  (Read 9173 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Mechanical methods of min-maxing the malevolent?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 03:58:21 AM »
A ghost factory would be useful. Got to incorporate that into one of my campaigns one day.

The machine wouldn't fit very well into a default campaign setting.  Your material would have to stand alone, and that seems pretty complex.
It would probably require some sort of shell or something.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 04:05:15 AM »
A ghost factory would be useful. Got to incorporate that into one of my campaigns one day.

The machine wouldn't fit very well into a default campaign setting.  Your material would have to stand alone, and that seems pretty complex.
Yeah.  If you're allowed spell turrets, it'd be best constructed with major creation.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »

The machine wouldn't fit very well into a default campaign setting.  Your material would have to stand alone, and that seems pretty complex.
Yeah.  If you're allowed spell turrets, it'd be best constructed with major creation.
Should I explain the joke?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
Undead are too [mindless] to get any real amount skilled work out of them.  Given the control cap, it's far more cost effective to use unseen servants for virtually anything that doesn't require being skilled - shapeless means that you don't have to build in space in the machinery for them to wander around, and if your spellcaster is sick it fails safe, rather than failing dangerous.

I read somewhere about a DM that had a cabal of Necromancers cap out to their max undead amounts with all the tricks, using zombies commanded each one for a specific purpose and ended up making the undead equivalent of a Super computer. With enough undead (aka lines of code) you could ask it anything and it would work out the answer.

Also if you need to format contact your nearest cleric of pelor

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:18 PM »

The machine wouldn't fit very well into a default campaign setting.  Your material would have to stand alone, and that seems pretty complex.
He started the joke, I don't think he needs it explained.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »

He started the joke, I don't think he needs it explained.
The joke about a society supported by those who aren't in a solid state?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
I read somewhere about a DM that had a cabal of Necromancers cap out to their max undead amounts with all the tricks, using zombies commanded each one for a specific purpose and ended up making the undead equivalent of a Super computer. With enough undead (aka lines of code) you could ask it anything and it would work out the answer.
You can thank the fa/tg/uys for that one.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »
Damn now i just indirectly admitted i sometimes look at 4chan :(

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
No you can't.* :mad

*Okay, it's entirely possible that they came up with it independently...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »
Great minds psychopaths think alike? :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:57:36 AM by BrokeAndDrive »
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
No you can't.* :mad

*Okay, it's entirely possible that they came up with it independently...
Feel proud that you guys came up with it a good 10 months or so in advance. :p

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »

A Ghost in the Shell joke? In my D&D! Well done  :clap

One, I thought you van only rebuke and control a total unded HD of half your cleric level?

Two, between turrents and necromancers, whats cheaper and has a better duration. I'm inclined to say skeletons, but I know nothing about pricing spell turrets.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
Spell turrets have a market price of Spell level * caster level * 1000 gp + 50*(xp+gp components of spells).  Just like other magic traps.

They're immobile and short-ranged, but on the other hand are more efficient can be purchased with landlord.

I could see undead being used in synergy with them, since it may be necessary to have mobile and nonmobile components.

for rule of cool, having a giant crystal skeleton embedded in the ceiling of a vast room the size of a blimp hanger, maintaining hundreds of spell effects in conjunction with lesser undead servitors would be pretty cool.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
And you could have spell turrets that create undead. Then you need some decent supply of bodies, like taking care of the problem with the sewer rats. No need to have human skeletons when they are mindless anyway.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
Icy Assassin also seems like a dandy way to be really evil and profit from it.  Yes, you can use it to eliminate and replace influential individuals, but that always carries the risk of detection.  Better by far to create the assassin and learn EVERYTHING the subject knows from it--all his deepest, darkest, nastiest secrets.

If the target is subject to blackmail and has the influence to be worth blackmailing, do it.

If the target has weaknesses, exploit them.

If the target has secret caches of wealth, loot them.

If the target objects, eliminate him.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »
Insane defiance + Dread Witch and cast spell through yourself.
You may need a way to mitigate wisdom damage but together it'd make enimies get -4 to thier saves and your fears would work on even paladins and undead, further. . . by targeting yourself with fear spells you get to get the bonuses from being targeted with fear if I'm not mistaken.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:13 AM »
You could kill anyone from any range with a village of commoners and a pair of Vile spells.

Loves Pain+Mind Rape trick, anyone?

Alternatively, just have a single commoner come back as a ghost, Command him/her, and then use the fact that you basically have total control over them to replace Mind Rape in the above equation.

Any ideas on how to get a hivemind out of the village? That would be rather nifty, but would require a way to treat them as animals/vermin...

Haunt Shift yourself into the area of the village itself, and use those pathetic commoners to draw in some... better potential servants.  :smirk
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing