Author Topic: What should be the standard "book set" / "rule set"?  (Read 10277 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: What should be the standard "book set" / "rule set"?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »
Yeah, but that is out of sheer lazyness.

I've seen games played with multiclass xp penalties. Just for sticking to the book.
+1

I've never gotten a straight answer on the status of the Ravenloft books. I was unimpressed with them myself.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Ravenloft was officially licensed for a limited time, time ran out, then they made Expedition to Castle Ravenloft as first party.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
ah ty tml
[Spoiler]
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »

• What people think is Official WotC (excludes Dragon Mag, Dragonlance, Kalamar)
  • What is Official WotC
Things commonly banned: BoED/BoVD, 3.0 specific, setting specific, Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, Binding. Either because of misunderstandings or not having the book. Most of these bans are stupid.

Separating it by power doesn't make sense. I can run a Tier 5 campaign and allow Dragon Magazine and I can run a Tier 1 campaign core only. In addition, a lot of people, regardless of the type of game, exclude all homebrew. It should never be something assumed to be allowed.

Only quibble with this, is the " ... think is official ... "
was influenced by the early CO-board circa 2003-ish,
that couldn't handle the brokenness; I should say non-brokenness.

Later C.O. could figure out what to do with problematic stuff.
Especially now on this board.

Tiers is still recent enough, and relatively unknown,
that a rejection of it, shouldn't be a surprise.
But yes, that is stupid.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
I'm still not certain why you list the kalamar books as being not legal.  Wizards said it's  official 3e.
Planetouched Handbook

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »
That November 2000 article just said the deals were in the works. You yourself said WotC revoked the license. Since 1st party material takes priority over 2nd, KoK loses. You would basically have to argue that WotC can't change its mind, aka throwing out errata or updates.

I'm not unreasonable. In fact I was wondering if 2nd party is 'allowed' to revise its own material. The only important ones I am aware of is the OA update in dragon mag and the dragonlance beastiary of kyrnn. I'm not impressed with either.
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:46:18 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:38 AM »
Kenzer's license to sell it or produce more of it has lapsed.
Interesting. Dragon Mag was bought (and continued in 4e) while dungeon (was bought?) went under.

I wonder if the dragonlance books like AoM can have more copies printed.
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

Impeesa

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »

TL;DR: If it has the Dungeons -SWORD- Dragons logo, it's official content [...]

Nobody ever seems to mention this one, even though it holds about the same status as Kalamar etc. Only the core book there had the official D&D logo, I believe, but the 6ish supplements between that and the OGL World of Warcraft game were all similarly compatible.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
What's the title of that thing? Can I get an ISBN number? I can't find that thing anywhere!
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
It's the First Edition rules of Warcraft RPG (simply titled "Warcraft: the Roleplaying Game", compared to the 2nd Edition, which is "World of Warcraft: the Roleplaying Game").

The ISBN is 1-58846-071-1.

2nd Edition's core is 1-58846-781-3.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 01:32:16 PM »
I disagree with any house rules assumed as a "standard" set. Because that would dilute the topic.

I think everyone assumes that monks are proficient with their unarmed attacks, and that multiclass xp penalties aren't used.
Technically speaking, unarmed strikes are natural weapons and all creatures are proficient with their natural weapons.

True on the multiclass XP penalty in my experience, due to lazyness.

I think that for these boards, what we pull from is any WotC 3.5/unupdated 3.0 unless an actual booklist is given.
Hmm. The pattern I've seen is the following:

All WotC-published 3.5 material (excluding Dragon).
General silliness is presumed out of the question (i.e. all tricks in the dirty tricks handbook somehow will be nonfunctional).
If the character in question wants to be a blaster, War Mage (AoM) is suggested.
If the character in question wants to be a shaper, ignoring CPsi is suggested.
If the character in question wants to do psionics (but doesn't want to go Thrallherd/Slayer), Hyperconscious is suggested.
If the character is otherwise under-supported with the above material, Dragon or 3.0 material is suggested.
For some niche builds, 3rd party material may be suggested (I can think of: additional 3rd-party vestiges and some Tome material).
In general, I think the 'exoticness' of the sources depends on how much support a build needs to be effective (i.e. on par with the power level in a campaign). And I think that's very much optimal.
Well without an official book list all official are considered on the table. After all, you are playing D&D are they are D&D books.

3rd party content gets mentioned a bit as a suggestion, or because someone wants to break the campaign to piss off the DM. The latter is dumb and to be ignored but the former tends to be for simplistic reasons. Sure you could build an effective monk using official rule books (tip: multiclass) but there is a 3rd party monk that already does that without requiring you to dip around and reference 40 books to do so. Mayhap your DM would rather ok that one class rather than telling you to compile all your rules your using together so it's possible to read them all inside ten minutes.

What's the title of that thing? Can I get an ISBN number? I can't find that thing anywhere!
Google "D&D 4th edition" ;)

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 02:47:22 AM »
also should be added to the official list:

material from spelljammer.org.

material from birthright.net.

material from planewalker.com

material from pandius.com

material from kargatane.com
     (site closed due to s&ss purchasing of the ravenloft 3.x license. however, material is still considered official.)

all of these materials are acknowledged as official 3.x material by wotc as per the agreement referenced here: http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/BR.net%27s_agreement_with_WOTC

this agreement was the same agreement entered into by all of the official fan sites, even though only the birthright site posts a copy on their website.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine