Author Topic: Mirrodin Besieged  (Read 17035 times)

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Mirrodin Besieged
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
I saw crap for my limited pool, got a Red Sun and Green Sun, but in both cases I didn't have cards to run them.

I know each day a Tezzerek was pulled (not by me of course), but beyond that, I don't think there was much mythic love.

That sucks.

The Mirran in the finals had 1 regular Red Sun Zenith - AND - 1 foil Red Sun Zenith.  Brutal.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
They have Karn on their side. Karn the planeswalker. I believe they'll figure something out.
He is no longer a Planeswalker, though I think he still has the ability to walk.
Whot? I get away from MTG for a couple of years and not only Phyrexians have taken over Mirrodin but Karn isn't a planeswalker anymore? Mind explaining how?
I'm not sure offhand if he really isn't a planeswalker anymore, but he definitely got depowered. All 'walkers did during Time Spiral block. It's why there are Planeswalker cards now.
Are you familiar with the Mending? Anyway, during that, Karn went into one of the biggest rifts on dominaria (the one over Tolaria) in order to fix it and went MIA. IIRC there was foreshadowing of him having found something he didn't like. I don't know about Karn's 'walker status at the moment, but we do have precedent of Teferi losing it after he fixed the rift over... I think it was Shiv.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:41:34 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
There are two types of Planeswalkers now, spark and bladder. Sparks are like Urza, being able to do bascially whatever you want when you want to, have nearendless power, they also cause tears in the multiverse when they asscend. Time Spiral was about the mending of these tears, which required a planeswalker spark, or as they showed, a large amount of power channeled through a bladder, to close.

Bladders are a lesser version, and probably the planeswalkers we are seeing made into cards. They have the ability to planeswalk, but have no where near the power of a spark.

(Or that is how I recall it)

Karn was built, or rebuilt himself, to be able to planeswalk. So when he lost his spark he was still able to 'walk. Now when he expended the spark that had been passed around the ages, an (evil) essense, from the past, attempted to take over his body. I am assuming the 'heart' used to give him life (it is of phyrexian make, Urza stole it).
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »
There are two types of Planeswalkers now, spark and bladder. Sparks are like Urza, being able to do bascially whatever you want when you want to, have nearendless power, they also cause tears in the multiverse when they asscend. Time Spiral was about the mending of these tears, which required a planeswalker spark, or as they showed, a large amount of power channeled through a bladder, to close.

Bladders are a lesser version, and probably the planeswalkers we are seeing made into cards. They have the ability to planeswalk, but have no where near the power of a spark.

(Or that is how I recall it)

Karn was built, or rebuilt himself, to be able to planeswalk. So when he lost his spark he was still able to 'walk. Now when he expended the spark that had been passed around the ages, an (evil) essense, from the past, attempted to take over his body. I am assuming the 'heart' used to give him life (it is of phyrexian make, Urza stole it).
There are only 'bladders' now. All old Planeswalkers are either dead (e.g. Jeska and Urza), somehow joined with the environment (Lord Windgrace), depowered (Teferi), or losing power (Nicol Bolas). The last one is possibly the best example - recall, he never used his spark to mend a rift or otherwise lose it, and he's still immensely powerful, but he's been knocked down quite a bit.

As for Karn, the last time he was seen before MBS was in Time Spiral Block, when he was still a planeswalker. He went back in time to mend the Tolarian rift shortly after it opened, and went MIA. Stuff was implied in the novel, if I recall correctly, but what actually happened to him is still unknown - we only know that he's now strapped to the seat at the core of Mirrodin and ordering around Phyrexians - for a given definition of 'ordering', anyway, given that he's almost completely out of his mind. It's possible that his heartstone had something to do with the issue, but that being the only factor seems unlikely.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Oh, I didn't know about Nicol Bolas's loss, interesting news.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »
Oh, I didn't know about Nicol Bolas's loss, interesting news.
It's why he was able to be printed as a card in the first place (Any other version of him other than the Elder Dragon way back in Legends wouldn't, for the same reason there were never cards of any other 'Walkers), and, I think, the reason he masterminded the events of Alara block, though I didn't follow the story for that one.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
They have Karn on their side. Karn the planeswalker. I believe they'll figure something out.
He is no longer a Planeswalker, though I think he still has the ability to walk.

Correct: He lost his spark to the Tolarian time rift. However, I speculate that he also removed the Weatherlight's engine from his torso, to prevent him from leaving Mirrodin (the hole in his chest).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 12:33:50 AM »

Correct: He lost his spark to the Tolarian time rift. However, I speculate that he also removed the Weatherlight's engine from his torso, to prevent him from leaving Mirrodin (the hole in his chest).
Likely still has the powerstone, though.  Not a good thing if he goes Phyrixian, since it produces nigh limitless mana.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:02 AM »
Likely still has the powerstone, though.  Not a good thing if he goes Phyrixian, since it produces nigh limitless mana.
Powerstones = spark, so I doubt they are still producing mana in that quantity.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 02:29:50 AM »
Not quite.  Karn had gotten Urza's spark.  The Weatherlight's powerstone was another matter entirely, literally holding a plane inside (it was charged by folding Serra's collapsing realm into it).  Unless I'm drastically mistaken, Karn still has that.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Oh...I didn't know that one fit inside him.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »
Funny what you can do with magic.  Truth be told, the Weatherlight's engine was larger than Karn, not to mention some of the other parts of the Legacy.  Only three parts of the Legacy come to mind that could fit inside Karn: Urza's eyes, the thing Squee thought a toy, and Gerrard Capshen.  Then again, I don't know the size of many other parts.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
I thought they put several pieces in Karn, but even then, the Weatherlight was part of the Legacy.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
Funny what you can do with magic.  Truth be told, the Weatherlight's engine was larger than Karn, not to mention some of the other parts of the Legacy.  Only three parts of the Legacy come to mind that could fit inside Karn: Urza's eyes, the thing Squee thought a toy, and Gerrard Capshen.  Then again, I don't know the size of many other parts.

When Kanr first ascended to Walkerdom, he reconfigured his body from silver to platinum. It is possible that when he did this, he absorbed the rest of the Legacy as a means of safeguarding it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
Release party pulls were much better, deck wise it was kind of meh, but the rares rocked. Got an Inkmoth, White Sun, and Sword of Feast and Famine.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
It's official. Phyrexia wins.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/677

EDIT: I must have that Phyrexian font.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:27:03 PM by Agita »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
Interesting...I figured they would win, but the little movie has me interested. Thanks Agita.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 01:37:40 AM »
It's official. Phyrexia wins.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/677

EDIT: I must have that Phyrexian font.
Did you know people are hacking that language right now? Given it another week or video. :)

It helps that it isn't made up gibberish.
Quote from: http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/118
There is a Phyrexian language, complete with rules of grammar and pronunciation, constructed for us by a linguist. It has a spoken component, which, I am told, is being spoken properly throughout the video. (I am not personally fluent, but I can, you know, make do in a Phyrexian restaurant. Well, not really. But you don't want anything on the menu in a Phyrexian restaurant anyway.) The language also has a written component, which you can see scrawled along the left edge of the video. (Phyrexian writing is written vertically, read top to bottom.) I am told that this is also correctly written in the video.

Edit
Quote from: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27339517/Phyrexian_Language&post_num=39#490837385
Yes, it's a language. No, it's not just a cipher. Yes, it can be spoken. Yes, the written script in the videos is accurate, but no, the spoken stuff is not, unfortunately, because (a) human mouthparts have a little trouble with the sounds, and (b) we couldn't justify the cost of having someone actually learn and pronounce the words. Why do this rather than spend more time on something else? Because we could do this in parallel with other things, through a contractor, rather than in series and with staff.

The videos and this
[spoiler][/spoiler]
are the sources used to decrypt the language to far. Simple google search will show you how far people have gotten. Once it's done I'm sure someone will make a program to print it for you (you can get a LotRs one btw, if you haven't already).

EDIT2 (psst, have you seen the new walker?)
[spoiler]
Karn

+4: Target player exiles a card from his or her hand.
-3: Exile target permanent.
-14: Set aside all non-Aura permanent cards exiled with Karn, then restart the game. Then put all cards set aside this way onto the battlefield under your control.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:57:20 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 04:22:33 AM »
No.  Just no.  Karn should not be printed as a Planeswalker.  No.  Don't give me crap about how all the Planeswalkers got weaker, he's still got nigh limitless mana to draw upon.

Plus that card is even more insane than Jace the Walletsculptor.  Didn't WotC swear off all "restart the game" mechanics?

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]