Author Topic: Mirrodin Besieged  (Read 17033 times)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Mirrodin Besieged
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
Mirrodin Besieged prerelease this weekend, who is going and which faction do you think you will go with?

I am thinking of going Phyrexian, the Glissa looks to interesting to pass up.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Mirrodin Besieged
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
The Heroes are going to be chase Mythics within 2 months. New Phyrexia may have the BSC and new Needle, but Hero of Oxid Ridge is a power house.

And either way, I want a new Tezzeret Rob Zombie.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:40:17 AM »
Hmm...you could be right...maybe I will do Mirran on Sunday to get one.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:28 AM »
I did Phyrixian, but since we only had 8 people show, everyone got both promo cards :p

One of my friends opened up a Hero of Bladehold and got a second promo one as a prize.

Wish I actually won some games, though.  I can't believe how poorly I did.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:19:31 AM »
I did worse than normal today... :(

Tried to force green and ended up with a BG deck that was too top heavy. After two rebuilds it became a BW deck with lots of chumps and equipment, which actually won some games unlike the first two...

I think we had like 26-28 people, I am hoping for the same turn out tomorrow, going to try Mirran then.

Only cards really worth mentioning would probably be the Green Sun's Zenith and Kemba, Kha Regent.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:23:56 AM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
My rares were Black Sun's Zenith, Spine of Ish Sah, Etched Champion, Dissapation Field, Aseciticism, and Phyrexian Revoker.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
I didn't go, because the prerelease date coincided exactly with cram time for my exams. :mad
So I'm going to go next week instead. I'll probably go Mirran, because I have a deck I want to try out in T2 that involves mostly Mirran cards, and I got pretty disillusioned after noticing that the sign of Phyrexia is basically the greek letter Phi.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
Actually the format for release day is different than pre-release.

Pre-release had faction packs for Besiege packs instead of a chance of getting all the cards come next week.

Oh, this is merely assuming, but I think the whole reason behind the faction packs was to determine who wins the war.

Anyway, today the odds were not with me. I either got no mana or flooded, there was no happy medium. Cerebral Eruption found a land 9 out of 10 casts...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:22:35 PM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 03:29:22 AM »
Oh, this is merely assuming, but I think the whole reason behind the faction packs was to determine who wins the war.
Doubtful at best. Sets are started design on about a year or so in advance, if memory serves. It's a few months to New Phyrexia/Mirrodin Pure now. I don't know the exact timelines of sets, but I'm pretty sure it's been already handed over to Development by now, or is soon going to be, if it hasn't already been completed.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
I'm hoping it goes to Mirrodin Pure.  I like Phyrixia, but I think it's run its course.

After all, Phyrixia's main aim was taking Dominaria.  I'm not sure even they would want that place now.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
I'm hoping it goes to Mirrodin Pure.  I like Phyrixia, but I think it's run its course.

After all, Phyrixia's main aim was taking Dominaria.  I'm not sure even they would want that place now.
Incorrect. Yawgmoth's aim was taking Dominaria. Phyrexia itself, as defined mostly by the corrupting oil, only really cares about spreading, corrupting, and generally being a pain-in-the-ass parasite.
Personally, I'm hoping to see what happens if the Eldrazi eat Phyrexia.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
Doubtful at best. Sets are started design on about a year or so in advance, if memory serves. It's a few months to New Phyrexia/Mirrodin Pure now. I don't know the exact timelines of sets, but I'm pretty sure it's been already handed over to Development by now, or is soon going to be, if it hasn't already been completed.
The judges had a sheet they were recording each faction wins on, which they said they had to send in, in addition to the match results.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
The judges had a sheet they were recording each faction wins on, which they said they had to send in, in addition to the match results.
Pretty sure that's standard procedure, though.

If Phyrixia does win, I hope they go to Lorowyn next.  That place needs to die.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
Feature? Something similar to what they'll do for Game Day, perhaps? Just a red herring? Seriously, Action is to launch in spring. It's far too late now to decide what it's gonna be about, especially since a global theme like that decides... oh, pretty much everything about the set. Each side has mechanics associated with it. Scars had a 80-20 spread of Mirran to Phyrexian, while Besieged is 50-50. Going by symmetry and the potential names, the most likely spreads for Action are 100-0 or 80-20 in favor of either side. Since each sides has mechanics distinctly associated with it (Phyrexia has Infect, Proliferate, and various mechanics involving sacrificing stuff; Mirrodin has Battle Cry, Metalcraft, and some other non-keyword stuff), the way that spread leans has an immense impact on what the set finally looks like mechanically. In other words, they'd need to know the theme before they even start working on the set, and February is far too late to start working on a spring set.

There is, of course, the possibility that they developed both sets, and will use these to decide which of the two will be printed, but that seems unlikely - I just don't see Wizards throwing away an entire set of stuff for what is, in the end, a marketing thing, even if some or most of the cards are later salvaged. It's possible that whichever set is not printed will show up in the future, but that seems unlikely as well.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
Pretty sure that's standard procedure, though.

If Phyrixia does win, I hope they go to Lorowyn next.  That place needs to die.

I'd rather see Ravnica again, but I believe that is going to be Friends/Romans/Countrymen.

Action's been getting a lot of talk on the Rumor Mill, mostly because half the people who post are Phyrexian supporters slaves. They keep making claims that the Phyrexians are going to win and spread throughout the multiverse, despite the fact that Phyrexians have no means of escaping Mirrodin unless they remember how to build the planar portals (which they shouldn't have any memory of).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 02:30:13 AM »
Oh, you misunderstand me, Sinfire.  I don't want to go back to Lorowyn for another block.  I want the Phyrixians to go there.

Or the Eldrazi.  Heck, both would be hilarious.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 03:07:43 AM »
Oh, you misunderstand me, Sinfire.  I don't want to go back to Lorowyn for another block.  I want the Phyrixians to go there.

Or the Eldrazi.  Heck, both would be hilarious.

That, however, would be worth it.

Some random elf: "I'm this unrealistically beautiful elf, and you're an abomination against vision! Prepare to die!"

Ulamog's Crusher: *Annihilator 2*

[spoiler][/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
Action's been getting a lot of talk on the Rumor Mill, mostly because half the people who post are Phyrexian supporters slaves. They keep making claims that the Phyrexians are going to win and spread throughout the multiverse, despite the fact that Phyrexians have no means of escaping Mirrodin unless they remember how to build the planar portals (which they shouldn't have any memory of).

They have Karn on their side. Karn the planeswalker. I believe they'll figure something out.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
5-0'd the pre-release as Phyrexian.  Won 16 packs, 8/8 each faction, and I got the holiday 2010 card as well.  Thinking I should eBay them.

For comparison I had asked the tournament director to keep track of the number of players per side: 19 Phyrexian, 23 Mirran.  I played a Mirran in the finals, but I played a Phyrexian in each of the other 4 rounds prior.

I had a ridiculous deck, but so did *everyone* else.

Did anyone else at the pre-release notice that the mythic rare count was *absurdly* high?  Like literally every single person I played had at least one mythic (I had TWO) and that the overall composition of the decks/cards was much higher than normal for a pre-release?  I understand the faction packs definitely added to that, but it still seemed waaaay too good.

I really like all the cards in this set.  Very few donkey rares and a lot are going to see play in multiple formats, particularly the Sun Zeniths.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
They have Karn on their side. Karn the planeswalker. I believe they'll figure something out.
He is no longer a Planeswalker, though I think he still has the ability to walk.

Did anyone else at the pre-release notice that the mythic rare count was *absurdly* high?

I saw crap for my limited pool, got a Red Sun and Green Sun, but in both cases I didn't have cards to run them.

I know each day a Tezzerek was pulled (not by me of course), but beyond that, I don't think there was much mythic love.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress