Author Topic: Thought experiment: No Core Magic  (Read 24403 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Thought experiment: No Core Magic
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
Is anybody banned from GitP?

I am, twice

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »
This sounds like an awesome experiment and potential campaign setting. I love the idea.

I'd say allow Factotums, just make sure you force them to choose a variant to Arcane Dilettante which grants them inspiration fueled maneuvers or incarnum or shadowcasting or invocations or soul binding, etc.

I might even be interested in playing in a PbP of this if you still need players/if there is still interest in starting a game.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2011, 05:48:51 PM »
Is anybody banned from GitP?

I don't have an account. I can create one easily enough, though.
You missed knight, too, BTW. And monk. Poor, poor monk.
At the moment, I think the chars are:

Gods_Trick: Truenamer
Midnight_v: ??
Littha: ?? / Future Shadow Sentinel
Amechra: Warlock / future Io7V
The_Mad_Linguist(?): ??
Me: Crusader/Binder or Incarnate/DFA

EDIT: Expected final level? Most PbPs I've played usually don't go further than the initial level, but for this kind of game I'd think that staying at level 4 is kind of moot. That said, for a first try, levels 1-10 should be reasonably safe even with the lack of magic items, given enough optimization, so staying around level 4 has some things in its favor.
True.
Hmm... what book is shadow sentinel I was thinking of trying a shadow caster, looks rough.
I note that we only have one melee, so I'll look at what all we have there too, if shadow sentinel is a prc of the shadow caster or whatever.
Oh... and soulknife likely counts. . .  :lol
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
I was going to try to get to at least 10-14 range, even if it takes some half hazared reasons for leveling up. Ie training montage

Does anybody have any problems with character creation guidelines that I layed out? I wanted anybody playing shadowcaster to feel the piddling that they get till 7th level, but didn't want to start too low. I think standard point buy is a necessity due to this being a test type of deal. I didn't really want to allow flaws, but I figured a bonus feat wouldn't skew things too much.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
double post.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:57:29 PM by lans »

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
Sounds good for me. Would Soulcaster be allowed for DFA? If so, which would be the new prerequisites?
Old ones (imposible ones):
-Able to cast an arcane spell of 2nd level or higher
-Incarnum Spellshaping (feat, requires ability to cast 1st level spells).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:00:11 PM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
So incarnum/DFA? Sounds all right.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

I might take a level or two or Marshall or Incarnate, but we'll see. Ians, which fix for the Truenamer are you using? Does it specifically call out Truenamer as arcane or divine for PrC'ing purposes?

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »
I think I'll go with the 1.5x CR one, its the simplest and easiest to do.

I'll start a thread after we get character creation stuff finalized, people get characters in, and after I get a new power cord for my laptop.

The laptop should take a few days, try to get the other stuff done.
Character creation wise I could go with level 5 or 6 instead of 4 if people prefer. I think thats the only real big issue, unless somebody has reason for a different point buy.

I also don't want to deal with level adjustment for this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:12:47 PM by lans »

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
I have no problem with the point buy system. In fact, I prefer it most of the time.

I have no problem playing any level. DFA/Incarnate should be reasonably playable at most levels and not very item dependant, but starting at level 6 can make me go back to the Crusader/Binder, which can be a nice idea depending on the group configuration.

Also, this:
Would Soulcaster be allowed for DFA? If so, which would be the new prerequisites?
Old ones (imposible ones):
-Able to cast an arcane spell of 2nd level or higher
-Incarnum Spellshaping (feat, requires ability to cast 1st level spells).

And, can I use metabreath feats with the DFA breath if I somehow qualify? I was thinking on using Dragonborn (Heart Aspect) for this.

Lastly, here or in GitP?
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »
I'm thinking here. GitP essentially locks threads a little too fast for my tastes.

Though I'll play over there if needs be.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2011, 02:20:56 AM »
A Factotum 3/Warblade X might be interesting especially coupled with a Trip/Lockdown build. I might need help optimizing it, but I like the sound of this.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »
Though I'll play over there if needs be.
Better be safe and do it here. Mentioning anything important, real, or wholesome and it could just disappear one day ... along with your account.

I'll give the pbp a shot if some hellfire nukage is needed. I maintain that Astaroth + Karsus makes a binder a better crafter (and earlier) than a warlock.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:01:32 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:43 AM »
I maintain that Astaroth + Karsus makes a binder a better crafter (and earlier) than a warlock.

It wasn't my fault!  This time!
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2011, 06:46:50 AM »
Anyone have a Warblade Crackdown build laying around I can look at? Even better, what about a Factotum/Warblade/Eternal Blade?

EDIT: I'm considering going with a White Raven/Crackdown build, or a White Raven/Imperious Command build if either are plausible using Factotum 3/Warblade X as the build stub.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2011, 06:52:04 AM »
Okay so solidly: What level are we starting at 4? or 5?
Lans. . . I looked at the shadowcaster handbook and a few other resources
and they pretty much say "Don't play this from level 1" thats hardcore.
Also do we use it as in the book or the unnofficial author fix.
Aside from that yeah. . . some kind of swordsman is what I'll shoot for
so yeah what level. I guess he left it to us, in a way... anyone really care?
Bkdubs are you playing now? Whats that put us at 7 chars?

Midnight_v: Shadowcaster, or Melee Warrior
Bkdubs123: Factotum?/Warblade?

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2011, 07:05:02 AM »
Bkdubs are you playing now? Whats that put us at 7 chars?

Midnight_v: Shadowcaster, or Melee Warrior
Bkdubs123: Factotum?/Warblade?

I'd like to play, yeah, and another warrior type would help round the group out nicely.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »
Anyone have a Warblade Crackdown build laying around I can look at? Even better, what about a Factotum/Warblade/Eternal Blade?
There are some crackdown builds in the ToB build compendium, back in the WotC boards, but most of them use standstill for the "lock" part of the build. I'd rather not suggest using trip for the lockdown part, though, because there aren't many ways to change size given the lack of magic, which rather limits what you can trip.

As for level, I don't care. Both characters are fairly playable at almost every level. Without casters, the difference in power between level 4 and level 6 is not that great, though. Lower level can be better for starters, so we don't notice too much the lack of magic items and lans can gauge the power of the party better.

By the way, VoP can be interesting, now that so many items are banned and consumables aren't that interesting.

and, well, I'm gonna play safe, and use non-tricky mechanics, to avoid discussions.

Given the amount of fighters, Incarnate/DFA is winning by now (for BFC and utility). And I have the story for her, given the world :P.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:40:58 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
There are some crackdown builds in the ToB build compendium, back in the WotC boards, but most of them use standstill for the "lock" part of the build. I'd rather not suggest using trip for the lockdown part, though, because there aren't many ways to change size given the lack of magic, which rather limits what you can trip.

Good point. Looks like Imperious Command it is then. I'll come up with a 4th level build later today. The good news that its less feat intensive. The bad news is fear immunities, but I'm okay with that. I'll still have White Raven Tactics to fall back on eventually.

Build stub here, assuming things work the way I think they do I should be good to go.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:12:52 PM by bkdubs123 »

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »
[/spoiler]
Neutral Good Warforged Dragonborn (Senses Aspect)
DFA 5 / Incarnate 2 / Soulcaster 10

Str 8 (0)
Dex 12 (6)
Con 21 (13) + level bonuses
Int 11 (3)
Wis 6 (0)
Cha 14 (10)

Traits:
-Absent Minded
-Slow

Flaw: Non-combatant

Feats:
1-Entangling Breath
1-Air Heritage
3-Ability Focus (Breath Weapon)
6-Incarnum Spellshaper
9-Flyby Attack
12-Double Chakra
15-Improved Initiative

Invocations:
-Endure Exposure
-Draconic Knowledge
-Humanoid Shape
-Walk Unseen
-Chilling Fog
-Baleful Geas

Skills:
-Diplomacy
-Intimidate
-Use Magic Device
-Bluff
[/spoiler]
This character mostly plays as a mobile BFC; is fairly able to tank thanks to AC, saves and sky high HP; has some limited healing abilities; and is pretty good as a party face and decent as a Know-It-All (though I can change that to specialize as party face, adding together decent Cha + Beguiling Influence + Silvertongue Mask, for a +21 at 4th level to bluff and diplomacy, and +15 to intimidate).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryhel, Scion of the Water Dragon
[spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Neutral Good Half Elf Dragonborn (Winged Aspect) (Intermediate Water Elemental Bloodline)
Binder 4 / Crusader 1 / Bloodline 1 / Crusader +2 / Knight of the Sacred Seal 4 (Amon) / Bloodline +1 / Knight of the Sacred Seal +1 / Eternal Blade 1

Str 15 (8) +1(bloodline)
Dex 12 (6)
Con 16 (6)
Int 10 (2)
Wis 8 (0)
Cha 16 (10)

Traits:
-Plucky
-Stout

Skills:
-Gather Information
-Intimidate
-Knowledge (Religion)
-Sense Motive

Flaw: Shaky

Feats:
1-Combat Reflexes
1-Standstill
3-Weapon Focus (Glaive)
4(Binder)-Improved Binding
4(Bloodline)-Power Attack
6-Entangling Exhalation
9-Leap Attack
12-Improved Bullrush
15-Shock trooper

Maneuvers:
1-Crusader's Strike, Charging Minotaur, Dousing the Flames
2-Foehammer, Tactical Strike
3-White Raven Tactics, Iron Heart Surge

Stances:
1-Iron Guard's Glare
3-Thicket of Blades
[/spoiler]
This one starts mostly as a lockdown tank, gains some BFC abilities and a lot of utility, and ends being able to dish decent amounts of damage.

Well, that's it. I can't decide on which to take, and, of course, I'd love some input on them. I'm starting to think I'm trying to do too much, given the amount of players, but both incarnates and binders are prone to that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:08:13 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]

Hi Welcome

[/spoiler]