Author Topic: Archivist Feat/Domain Selection Help  (Read 2554 times)

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
Archivist Feat/Domain Selection Help
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »
Need a little advice on a build concept.

Race: (Any as long as there is no LA)
Class: Archivist 8/Divine Disciple 1/Sacred Exorcist 1/Contemplative 10
Patron: Mystra
Domains: Spell, Magic, and ?

Normal Feats:
1. Extend Spell
3. Touch of Healing
6. Persistant Spell
9. Divine Metamagic: Persistant Spell  :lol
12. Quicken Spell
15. Divine Metamagic: Quicken Spell  :fu
18. Insightful Reflexes

I was trying to keep all my caster levels while still gaining flavor/useful abilities. Obviously this build works better with nightstick abuse. I read through the handbook awhile back but it has been some time since then so I will reread it. I could also use some advice on domain's to choose. Spell and Magic seemed obvious choices, but I know there has to be more useful ones out there. My feat seem rather standard in my mind, but I have this sinking suspicion that I could do better.
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Archivist Feat/Domain Selection Help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
Knowledge Devotion is always amazing for Archivists.  And consider Planning domain to get your feats in faster.

JaronK

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
Needs more Dweomerkeeper.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
Why the divine disciple dip?  Are you using the FRCS version with a domain at level one instead of 4 as in the PGTF?

Maybe instead of contemplative 10 you could do divine disciple5/sacred exorcist1/contemplative6, or to get some of the dweomerkeeper goodness
divine disciple5/sacred exorcist1/contemplative1/dweomerkeeper5(4 is all you really need if you want to dip something else for another domain).  I only went divine disciple 5 because I'm guessing you wanted to get the native(outsider) that contemplative 10 gives you.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »
Knowledge Devotion is nice, but I don't see it necessary for a spellcaster. I also took note of the Planning Domain, but was not sure if I could take planning domain and still have Mystra as my patron deity. (I believe if the domain is not in your deity's profile, it has to be one your alignment is compatible with to take.) As for the Divine Disciple, I am using the one from the FRCS. I realized that an extra level of archivist or of sacred exorcist wasn't worth it to me. So I looked for a PrC that was easy to enter and boosted my CL level. I chose Contemplative 10 for the outsider type.

The only thing about Dweomerkeeper is that I don't think archivist counts as casting arcane spells and I'm loathe to lose a CL just to qualify. Otherwise dweomerkeepr seems an interesting choice.

Any other feat suggestions?
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
You can enter Dweomerkeeper by taking the feat magical training from Player's Guide to Faerun.  That is also where the divine disciple with the domain at 4 and becoming a native outsider at 5th is located.

If you go human you can take the magical training regional feat and stay with your current feat allocation.  Why are you taking both DMM quicken and persistent?  Do you plan on having that many turn attempts?  Choose one or the other.  You could take the rune domain if you need to in order to get an item creation feat (scribe scroll I think) to enter dweomerkeeper.

You might see if you can talk your dm into allowing you to take initiate of mystra as well even though I think it specifies cleric lvl 3 or 5 specifically.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:57:13 PM »
I'll fiddle around with Dweomerkeeper a bit. And the PGTF Divine Disciple sounds like a better deal.

I chose DMM:Quicken mainly because I couldn't think of other useful feats to take. That and I planned on carrying a LOT of nightsticks.

Archivists get Scribe Scroll for free so that takes care of the item creation feat.

Nice, thanks for the top with Magical Training feat.

Will post later will updated ideas. Thanks  :clap
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

Eviltedzies

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:35 AM »
Race: Human
Class: Archivist 5/Divine Disciple 2/Sacred Exorcist 1/Divine Disciple 3/Dweomerkeeper 4/Contemplative 5
Patron: Mystra
Domains: Magic & Spell

Feats:
1. Extend Spell, Magical Training*, Scribe Scroll*
3. Sanctum Spell
6. Touch of Healing
7. Persistant Spell (Retrain of Sanctum Spell)
9. Divine Metamagic: Persistant Spell
12. Quicken Spell
15. Insightful Reflexes

So I managed use to Sanctum Spell cheese to gain access to Divine Disciple early. (Obviously DM disgression required.)
I also used the PHB2 retraining option to replace Sanctum spell after its use had run out. (Replacing it with Persistant Spell.)
It gets the full benefit of the Divine Disciple class by level 11. Let the polymorph shinanigans begin! In addition, 4 levels of Dweomerkeeper gain us the Supernatural Spell ability 1/day. (Honestly that is all you should need it for if you know what your doing.) My last 5 levels were in Contemplative for the nifty class abilities and extra domain.

I am still stuck on feats. Touch of Healing is nice for out of combat healing, but end game I think its' use weakens. I also question the usefulness of Insightful Reflexes at such a late point in the game. So that leave a total of 3 open feats. I was thinking of some more metamagic's or perhaps Divine Metamagic: Extend Spell. Any more ideas or suggestions would be great. :D
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:22:52 AM »
You might find the abilities from Divine Oracle(another domain) or Paragnostic Apostle better than the abilities after the first or second levels of Contemplative.  If you are worried about the feat for Divine Oracle check out the Frog Gods Fane in Complete Scoundrel (I think page 145) for a way to get it without using up a feat slot.

For feats chain spell is pretty nice if you are going to be using your spells for buffing other party members.
Reach spell might also be worth looking into if you are planning to use spells largely for attacking.
If you really have a domain you love you can also take Heretic of the Faith(somewhere in Power of Faerun) to swap out one of the domains available from your goddess for a different domain.
Also depending on what you are trying to accomplish you might also grab some of the devotion feats.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 01:53:48 AM »
Planar Touchstone [Catalogues of Enlightenment]