Author Topic: Cleric Archer Handbook discussion  (Read 3799 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Cleric Archer Handbook discussion
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
Alright, this thread rekindled my interest in handbooks. So I might make a mini guide, on ranged cleric builds.

Ideas:

longbow/shortbow/composite versions/whateverbow
hand crossbow with that feat that gives dexterity to damage with crossbows + divine agility (? don't remember the name exactly) that gives +10 to dexterity.
multiclass with warlock and then go for that warlock/cleric class.
quickened divine favor ftw
Divine feats? Divine might maybe.
Knowledge devotion + lore of the gods + god with knowledge domain ROAR
Ways to get more attacks per round?
Cute spells?
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Cleric Archer Handbook discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »
Collector of Stories skill trick.
Zen Archery.

Spells: Blessed Aim, Greater Magic Weapon

I enjoy cleric archers and would appreciate guides.

Your spells are going to be able to change your strength a lot... so one of the rare adjustable-draw bows (legacy item, energy bow) would be useful, or a set of different bows that can be magicked up as needed.

Any archer will benefit from a lot of attacks. Clerics that Knowledge things into oblivion will too. Rapid shot, splitting enhancement. (Manyshot if you can find a way to get standard actions cheaply compared to full-round.) Belt of battle. Divine Might, as stated. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful or Haste.

The name of your crossbow feat is Crossbow Sniper I think. But that might only give 1/2 dex.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:41:25 PM by Kajhera »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
Not only would a Zen Archery, Knowledge Devotion, Divine Might cleric archer be awesome, but he would get more powerful as he aged.

Like Revolver Ocelot.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »
Crossbow sniper in PHB2 gives 1/2 dex to Xbow attacks.

DMM Divine power and Righteous Might and Divine Favour if you can swing enough turn attempts adds alot of damage.

One cool idea could be a raptoran from RotW cleric with a foot bow. They have favored class cleric pretty sure they have that aerial mastery and Martial weapon proficiency foot bow which adds 1 1/2 str to shots, so combine with a natural 18 in str and those persisted debuffs (assuming a huge raptoran can still fly id have to look it up) would add alot of power to a shot

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
Don't forget forceful enchantment from MiC too, turns your arrows into force projectiles which bypass DR pre epic (DR being a volley archers worst nightmare) for a +2 enhancement cost, also makes ghost alot easier :)
Another cool thing to shoot for is maybe Time domain with spontaneous domain ACF to convert spells to Haste spells for that extra arrow, assuming you dont use up all your domains on elf and planning for their feats

Kaori

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:56:39 PM »
Shiba Protector from Oriental Adventures gives you WIS to hit and damage at level 1. You lose a caster level and BAB, but double dipping wisdom may be worth it. I'm really interested in the wisdom based archers. I'm currently working on a Soulbow and would love to pick up some pointers from this guide  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:00:22 PM by Kaori »

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:02:32 PM »
As for which bow, if unique aren't available, composite longbow is definitely a good standby.

Divine Metamagic: Persist should be mentioned as absolutely useful for many archery-helpful spells.

Undeath Domain (extra turning) + Persisted Blessed Aim + equip skeletons you animate with longbows/crossbows = mildly accurate volley when you need it and more turning attempts. I think this works.

To attest to something - I took Law Devotion as well as my cleric archer but found the bonus fairly unneeded to attack after other buffs, and fairly useless to AC against monsters. If you can get an energy bow it might be more helpful.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:14:27 PM by Kajhera »

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
As for which bow, if unique aren't available, composite longbow is definitely a good standby.

Divine Metamagic: Persist should be mentioned as absolutely useful for many archery-helpful spells.

Undeath Domain (extra turning) + Persisted Blessed Aim + equip skeletons you animate with longbows/crossbows = mildly accurate volley when you need it and more turning attempts. I think this works.

To attest to something - I took Law Devotion as well as my cleric archer but found the bonus fairly unneeded to attack after other buffs, and fairly useless to AC against monsters. If you can get an energy bow it might be more helpful.

If you get Fey type somehow, the Charming the Arrow feat from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a
is invaluable in a high Cha build.

Also, by RAW can skeletons use bows? I loved the skeleton archers from Diablo and would to make a few.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »