Author Topic: Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Epic Spellcasting  (Read 3274 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Epic Spellcasting
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »
I know Epic spellcasting isn't technically a PHB thing, but It needs to be in the core rules to work cohesively with the rest of the game. The current epic rules are shit, so I propose this: Epic spellcasting does one thing for you: It completely obliterates action economy.

Inspiration: Exalted.
Anyone who has ever played Exalted knows that it's pretty much like playing Epic from level 1. The Charm system works surprisingly well, but the rest of the game is badly tuned, just like every storyteller system game.

Epic Spellcasting

Spell slots: Epic spell slots follow the same progression as normal spell slots, but new spells aren't learned. The new slots are used for metamagic feats, as well as the new Chaincasting feat.

Chaincast [Metamagic, Epic]
Your mastery of spellcasting is so great that you may cast a great number of spells in a short amount of time.
Prerequisites: Level 21, Spellcraft 24 Ranks
Benefits: You may cast as many spells as you wish in one turn by adding the total level of the spells together and adding 2. That is the spell slot that is used.
Note: 0 Level spells are treated as 1/2 a level.
Example: Magic Missile + Fireball = 6th level slot

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
Re: Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Epic Spellcasting
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:49:17 AM »
...but the rest of the game is badly tuned, just like every storyteller system game.
Oh you heathen D&D'er! By caring about the numbers more than about REAL roleplaying you're not Doing It Right! You're SUPPOSED to angst and wail against the world, and not give a shit that a 1st-lvl mage spell can easily deal 30-50 bashing damage when most humans can never take more than 10-20 of such, and vampires and werewolves maybe 20-30, even at the highest levels. Stop being such a poindexter leftbrain and be one of the COOL ARTISTS THAT IS WOD'S DEMOGRAPHIC!!

:P  :P  :P

Psst, anyone who can't tell this is obvious sarcasm needs to develop some reading comprehension skills. I recommend starting with Dr. Seuss books.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »
Combat spells aren't developed, You make the check when you want to cast the spell, and if you are a prepared caster, you prepare your chains at the beginning of the day, but make the check when you cast.
Recipe for disaster on the playability end, unless you're willing to take a 10 minute timeout to work out what spells are coming into play. At least, without some limitation on the seeds and factors a given caster knows and can bring to bear.

Honestly, unless you're changing the whole spell system to 'build your own spell'(so seeds scale from 1st level up), guidelines for designing spell levels above 9 and a systematic means for gaining slots above 9 might be better.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »
My question is, do we really need epic spells at all?

0-9th level spells are already damn powerfull, if not outright broken.

That may actually be a good idea. Pick the broken spells (shapechange, gate, PaO). Make them epic-only. Then nerf them a little just to be safe (gate only gets monsters up to your HD for example).

Also simply geting higher-level slots allows you to make "epic" spells by stacking multiple metamagics in the normal ones.

Otherwise you have to rewrite the whole seed system, wich would be a major headache.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
My question is, do we really need epic spells at all?

0-9th level spells are already damn powerfull, if not outright broken.

Also simply geting higher-level slots allows you to make "epic" spells by stacking multiple metamagics in the normal ones.

I agree.Completely overhauled to reflect that.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:50:46 PM »
Prerequisites: Level 20, Spellcraft 24 Ranks
Two things:

1) The prereqs aren't the same (but they don't necessarily have to be).  You get 24 ranks at 21st level.

2) You can simply use ranks rather than level, since they're tied directly to level anyway.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
Prerequisites: Level 20, Spellcraft 24 Ranks
Two things:

1) The prereqs aren't the same (but they don't necessarily have to be).  You get 24 ranks at 21st level.

2) You can simply use ranks rather than level, since they're tied directly to level anyway.

1) Fix'd.

2) Redundancy, in case of kobolds.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:58:50 PM »
Chaincast [Metamagic]
Your mastery of spellcasting is so great that you may cast a great number of spells in a short amount of time.
Prerequisites: Level 20, Spellcraft 23 Ranks
Benefits: You may cast as many spells as you wish in one turn by adding the total level of the spells together and adding 2. That is the spell slot that is used.

Use the standard method of treating level 0 spells as 1/2. Otherwise you get Acid Splash + Acid Splash + Acid Splash + Acid Splash + Acid Splash + ... + Acid Splash for arbitrarily large-d3 in a 2nd level slot.

Btw, you should make it require level 21 and Spellcraft 24 ranks, otherwise Wizards (and anyone who wants to get Skill Focus (diplomacy) and burn a level of Marshal, and anything else that gives you a bonus feat at 20th) can pick it up pre-epic. Also give it the [Epic] tag, too, which prevents anyone pre-21st other than old dragons/DWKs from taking it anyways.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »
Chaincast [Metamagic]
Prerequisites: Level 20, Spellcraft 23 Ranks

Use the standard method of treating level 0 spells as 1/2. Otherwise you get Acid Splash + Acid Splash + Acid Splash + Acid Splash + Acid Splash + ... + Acid Splash for arbitrarily large-d3 in a 2nd level slot.

Btw, you should make it require level 21 and Spellcraft 24 ranks, otherwise Wizards (and anyone who wants to get Skill Focus (diplomacy) and burn a level of Marshal, and anything else that gives you a bonus feat at 20th) can pick it up pre-epic. Also give it the [Epic] tag, too, which prevents anyone pre-21st other than old dragons/DWKs from taking it anyways.

Thanks, I overlooked that.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
Good point about kobolds.  I don't own/use any of the Dragon books, so I forget to check for that type of stuff in other's homebrew. :D
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]