Author Topic: Bloodlines, LA Buyoff, Necropolitan and the river  (Read 4432 times)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Bloodlines, LA Buyoff, Necropolitan and the river
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »
Just thought ...
* Bloodline 3, taken at 2nd, 3rd, and 4th level -> 6K Exp
* +2 LA, bought off at 6th and 9th -> 15K Exp
* Necropolitan at 3rd level -> 3K Exp

For 24K Exp:
* 3 bloodline levels (throw in psychic reformation -> new set of feats)
* +2 LA
* Necropolitan (Created on Desecrated Ground, Corpse Crafter Feat, by a Dread Necromancer -> +6 HP/HD, +4 Str/Dex)

With "Experience is a river", the 1 level gravy train ~75K experience.  So even if we spread things out more, it's very doable, basically for free.  Throw in some wishes for kicks ...

I never did think of stacking them ... it's not just good for crafters!

- David

EDIT:  Were I to really do this, and wanted a flexible DM to agree ...:
  • pay for bloodlines costs 2K / 5K / 11K ( as if at 3/6/12), but taken whenever desired.
  • pay 1 wish (5K exp, a la savage species) for a custom bloodline (not too overpowered, and relevant to the theme)
  • pay 1 wish + 78K gold for the dread necromancer (4^2K + 4^2K + 6^2K for dex/str/con enhancers ... still another +6 con and HD to account for, but that's the Wish).  Also, would need some way to pay this over time.
  • 5 wishes for stat boosts, you pay the EXP component, instead of the party caster

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:21:44 PM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Bloodlines, LA Buyoff, Necropolitan and the river
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
The SRD bloodline section doesn't have any exp cost to getting a bloodline.
I don't have access to UA, so I've no idea if it's different in the book.

+2 LA ... takes about 8 or 9 levels to "catch up" by my figurings.
Just fits within a full caster 9s on time.
But that's without extra exp burners thrown in.

Heck, if you don't mind being 1 level down, then sure it's free goodies.
You catch up if 2 levels down exp fast enough, no matter what.

PsyRef on the bloodline feats ... is dirty , I like it.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
i dont think bloodlines can be bought off.  they are not LA... they are just bloodline levels.   

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:22:37 AM »
Yeah, it looks like he's taking all of these options separately; one interpretation of the exceptionally vague Bloodline rules is that you pay the appropriate amount of experience, are now counted as having taken the Bloodline level, and it doesn't count against your ECL thereafter; you just keep on racking up experience as you would if you didn't have that bloodline at all. Similarly, LA buyoff has an XP cost, as does the Necropolitan template (in that it makes you lose a level).

The next step is to combine all these with the realization that because being lower level causes you to gain XP faster than the rest of the party, it's easily within the realm of possibility to catch up or even pass them (if you're lucky in the precise rate at which you gain XP) over the course of several levels.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »
yeah, i definitely see where he was going with the rest of the stuff.  just not the bloodline thing.

im no bloodline expert, but of all the things that are unclear about them, the only thing im reasonably sure about is that its a level.  like a class level, just a blood line instead.  that would be like not counting a level of wizard against your ecl.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:29:42 AM »
PsyRef on the bloodline feats ... is dirty , I like it.
I had the pleasure of being trolled on this very boards for such a thing ;)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
All - I realize I was full of Bunk (and not the bargain kind).  

I was thinking you could buy off bloodlines, and reading it again, realize there is nothing to indicate that.  Oh well.

This is what happens when you function too early in the morning.

David

EDIT:  After reading PlsBreakMyCampaign's thread on bloodlines (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7167.0), then I think maybe my interpretation was valid.  Let's put it in the don't know but possible bucket.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:09:48 PM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:22:47 AM »
On the other hand, you can go the dirtier route of gradual LA buyoff on the web savage progressions. 

It's somewhat unclear how templates acquired in play interact with LA buyoff; practically speaking it doesn't make a difference - under either straightforward interpretation it's fine to keep it for three levels and then buy it off at the next multiple of three.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »
I apologize (again) for trolling PLZ ...  :bigeye

With PLZ's interpretation and handbook thread, the Bloodline 2 levels could be bought off.
Bloodline 3 and trying to apply buy-off gets a little weird.

The other interpretation of Bloodlines, gets a definite no.

PsyRef on bloodlines, technically should not work (bad me).
Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos otoh always works (if you don't mind your soul being ... )

I think LA +1 and a Thought Bottle, gets a possible loop going.
Put the exp into the Thought Bottle; add a +1 template; buy it off; tag the Thought Bottle.
Repeat = Profit
You run out of templates rather quickly.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »
I apologize (again) for trolling PLZ ...  :bigeye
Whoa, whoa not you. I've never seen you do that. I meant others. My quote was vague for a reason.

I personally don't use the language 'buyoff' but I can see why one would consider it that. Its buying in the sense that normal leveling is buying (with xp) and its off in the sense of not going against ECL.

David is right though that besides normal leveling, casting, and crafting these are the only three things I'm aware of that you pay with xp for a benefit.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
Ahh , well a little self-flagellation never hurts (after a little curing).

The Internet - Home of One Thousand , and One Misunderstandings