Author Topic: A Ranged Toon that can Heal?  (Read 12782 times)

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: A Ranged Toon that can Heal?
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Eh? you are really into that Wisdom to AC without using a monk's belt?  If you must drop caster levels, Swordsage 2 gets you Wis to AC (in armor!) and depends when you take it, some reasonably high level maneuvers.  Also Shiba Disciple >>> Druid for a dip.  Wis to attack and damage does a lot more than wisdom to AC.  Favorite enemy is a weak mechanic unless you're a swift hunter.
I couldn't find Shiba disciple so hows this look Cleric4/Warlock1/Swordsage2/Eldritch Disciple10/Cleric Prestige here3 that should just barely make 9th lvl spells and allow light armor with no issues with spellscasting (warlocks battle caster and cleric ignores armor)

I'd suggest something like this Ranger 1/ Cleric 3/ Warlock 1/ED 10/ MT 2/ Oracle 2 with 3 Major Fey bloodline bought off using LA rules (found in Unearthed Arcana) to give you Warlock level 18 EB & invocations. Theres some tricks to get Cha to AC if you're going the Souther Magician route, but since I don't have those books I'm not sure if its legal.

Everything said and done the 1 level druid dip wont kill you. Though if you want that level of Binder for the Healing Bounce trick somethings got to give  ;)

or Cleric4/Warlock1/Swordsage2/Eldritch Disciple10/Binder1/Oracle2 ....only problem is I don't have the Tome of Magic book which Binder is in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:03:31 PM by Failedlegend »

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »
That build loses 4 caster levels = no 9th level spells.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

warlock = 1 lost
ss= 2 lost
wl+ss = 3 = CL 17

what loses the 4th lvl...ED? Binder? because if its binder ill just drop it...i dont have the book anyway.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:38:58 PM by Failedlegend »

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »

Oh ED doesn't have a divine caster lvl at lvl one...dang...hmmm i'll email our dm and see if he can retcon it because i FINALLY got her to drop the druid level in favor of swordsage.

Note: Considering our DM is pretty flexible he'll like say its fine so other than that is it good?

Well, no, it's not good. As you get 2 levels for something you can get with a monk's belt.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
delete me
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:58:39 PM by Failedlegend »

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »

Oh ED doesn't have a divine caster lvl at lvl one...dang...hmmm i'll email our dm and see if he can retcon it because i FINALLY got her to drop the druid level in favor of swordsage.

Note: Considering our DM is pretty flexible he'll like say its fine so other than that is it good?

Well, no, it's not good. As you get 2 levels for something you can get with a monk's belt.

Hmmm...it seems I read the description of the monks belt wrong I thought it only gave the +1 AC monks get at lvl 5 (and every 5 lvls there after) and unarmed damage...still is it an appropriate leveled item for a lvl 7 PC....oh well im off to fight with her again....so stubborn

Edit: Anyways I got her to give up on druid,etc. now it's Cleric4/Warlock1/Eldritch Disciple10/Binder1/Oracle2/Complemative2 (open to other suggestions on last 2 lvls i just sorta stuck that in there)

Note: She really likes the looks of Raptorans not exactly optimal but other than the loss of the stat bonuses is there anything that its breaks in this build (Favored class: Cleric is nice) essentially for xp penalties it only see Warlock1 since cleric and pretiges classes arn't included...oh and the whole..she likes them thing (were kind of a laid back group...not much for min/maxing i know this is the min/max area but there's sorta optimized but not really section)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:24:15 PM by Failedlegend »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
I made an artificer build one time that used spell storing aurorum dye arrows (deal 1 point of nonlethal damage) with healing and buff spells. Collect the broken pieces after a fight, and there you go.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »
Note: She really likes the looks of Raptorans not exactly optimal but other than the loss of the stat bonuses is there anything that its breaks in this build (Favored class: Cleric is nice) essentially for xp penalties it only see Warlock1 since cleric and pretiges classes arn't included...oh and the whole..she likes them thing (were kind of a laid back group...not much for min/maxing i know this is the min/max area but there's sorta optimized but not really section)

Raptoran is decent, but so is Lesser Aasimar, if you are playing with favored class (which most people around here suppose you don't), You cannot go with Cleric 4/Warlock 1, unless you are human, half-elf or something with cleric as favored class. (Or you would lose way to much from that).

Contemplative is a decent class, although taking only one level of it is probably more useful, a Level of Prestige Paladin if she can get it into a Prestige paladin of Slaughter/freedom is also decent.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »
  • Aventi
  • Half-Drow
  • Half-Drow, Deepwyrm
  • Half-Elf
  • Half-Elf, Aquatic
  • Half-Elf, Arctic
  • Half-Elf, Desert
  • Half-Elf, Fire
  • Half-Elf, Jungle
  • Human
  • Human, Silverbrow
  • Illumian
  • Spirit Folk
  • Spirit Folk, Mountain
  • Spirit Folk, River
  • Synad
  • Underfolk
  • Varsharan

Races with favored class Cleric:
  • Anthropomorphic Toad
  • Drow, Lesser (if female)
  • Raptoran

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Racial flight does save an invocation. So nothing wrong with Raptoran Cleric-Warlock. You can even use a footbow until your Eldritch Blast grows decent.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Raptoran cleric warlock wouldnt get the martial weapon proficency for a footbow :(

But the flight is nice
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:13:58 PM by stranglebat »

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »

warlock = 1 lost
ss= 2 lost
wl+ss = 3 = CL 17

what loses the 4th lvl...ED? Binder? because if its binder ill just drop it...i dont have the book anyway.

Binder advances its own "casting" called soulbinding so no cleric there and ED only advances 9/10 cleric, 10/10 invocations though
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:13:20 PM by stranglebat »

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 12:28:58 AM »

Raptoran is decent, but so is Lesser Aasimar, if you are playing with favored class (which most people around here suppose you don't), You cannot go with Cleric 4/Warlock 1, unless you are human, half-elf or something with cleric as favored class. (Or you would lose way to much from that).

Contemplative is a decent class, although taking only one level of it is probably more useful, a Level of Prestige Paladin if she can get it into a Prestige paladin of Slaughter/freedom is also decent.

Yeah were not playing with favored class everyone agreed it's a stupid mechanicbut she wants to play something that can fly&has wings (ie. fly spell or item won't cut it) but yeah I'd say Aasimar = better but the choice is up to her (although i do think Raptorans could have some interesting tactics..and are a pretty interesting race)

I'll look into Prestige Paladin I saw it earlier and it seemed pretty cool although it depends on what the fourth member chooses as an alignment.

So now it would be like Cleric4/Warlock1/Eldritch Disciple10/Binder1/Oracle2/Complemative1/Free Pally1 with the first 15 lvls pretty well in order...curious in what order i should take the prestiges.

I have to check because i don't think Free Pally would get a cleric caster lvl (Lock1+ED1+Binder1 = 3 caster levels lost..anymore and i lose lvl 9 spells)

Edit: Naw I like Cleric4/Warlock1/Eldritch Disciple10/Binder1/Oracle2/Complemative2 better
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:46:16 AM by Failedlegend »

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:44 AM »
Healing blast works with blast shapes.  Eldritch chain is a lesser invocation choice, which warlocks get access to at level 6.  In your build, that would be cleric 4/warlock1/ED5 (total character level 10).  If you're going to finish ED before you go into other classes, that's quite a bit earlier than binder1.  It's not quite as initially efficient as bouncing, but will eventually affect more targets as you gain more invoker levels (one primary and two secondary targets by ED9).
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 04:33:42 AM »
Why not a wings aspect dragonborn (possibly the evil tiamat-spawned version, if alignment works out that way) lesser aasimar? 

Gets 30' average flight at level 6, and I think you're starting higher than that.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Failedlegend

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »
Why not a wings aspect dragonborn (possibly the evil tiamat-spawned version, if alignment works out that way) lesser aasimar? 

Gets 30' average flight at level 6, and I think you're starting higher than that.

Doesn't that add LA?

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »

Unless your game is very optimised and you need 9th level spells, don't bother. I've CODzillaed with 6th levels spells at lvl 18th before.

If she wants wings, wildshape, healing blasts and Wis to AC, she'll be a sucky character, but perhaps she'll have fun till she the character dies. You can't force the optimiser within, it must grow naturally.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »

Doesn't that add LA?
Dragonborn doesn't add LA. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2011, 07:08:43 AM »
Dragonborn has a Dex penalty - bad for ranged. Raptorans have favored class: Cleric, which might matter for once. So in this particular case, I'd go Raptoran.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2011, 07:11:57 AM »

I believe that Raptorans get Footbow are a martial weapon. Also, the Skypledged PrC is superior to taking 2 levels of Contemplative.

Refluff the Raptoran as a Prime born descendants of Angels and we may have a winner!