Author Topic: Any way for a creature to keep its Con score when it becomes undead?  (Read 6123 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Any way for a creature to keep its Con score when it becomes undead?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »
Undead that wild shapes into something with a CON score?  After all the ability specifically indicates you gain the physical ability scores...  (Though I'm fairly sure that doesn't actually work.)
You need a feat to wildshape as an undead.

A feat that makes your wildshape targets undead.

Where's that rule from? I don't see any such stipulations preventing undead using wild shape under Druid (Wild Shape) or Undead Type in the SRD.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
Undead that wild shapes into something with a CON score?  After all the ability specifically indicates you gain the physical ability scores...  (Though I'm fairly sure that doesn't actually work.)
You need a feat to wildshape as an undead.

A feat that makes your wildshape targets undead.
Where's that rule from? I don't see any such stipulations preventing undead using wild shape under Druid (Wild Shape) or Undead Type in the SRD.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041001a
Corrupted Wildshape [Monstrous]

You have learned to use the necromantic energies that power your undead form to overcome the inability of undead creatures to wildshape. You can assume the form of an undead, rotten creature with the use of your wildshape ability.

Prerequisites: Undead type, wildshape class ability.

Benefits: You can use your wildshape ability even though you are undead. The ability functions just as if you were a living creature using the ability, with the following exceptions:

You do not gain a Constitution score in the new form, and you retain all of the immunities of the undead type while in your new form. The form you assume looks half decayed, with missing patches of fur and rotted worm-eaten flesh. While in this form, the rank odor of death hangs around you.

Normal: Since it is based on the polymorph spell, wildshape works only on living creatures.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 05:16:03 PM »
But Wild Shape was errata'd to be based on Alternate Form, not Polymorph, wasn't it?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
But Wild Shape was errata'd to be based on Alternate Form, not Polymorph, wasn't it?
Well yes but sometimes wotc didn't use their own erratas....

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »
If the ability doesn't need the feat, then the feat is (mostly) superfluous. Aye?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

Either that, or Libris Mortis was printed before the errata in question. I came into 3.5 fairly late in its run, so I have no idea.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:29 PM »
In 3.5 the feat is needed to keep the undead immunities
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 05:44:25 PM »
I was thinking of having a Soulfused Dustform Tarrasque; Soulfused is that template from MoI that gives a construct a Con score and the Living Construct Subtype.

Now, what would I need to get Mr. T. for him to have immunity to Ability Drain/Damage after this?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »

Either that, or Libris Mortis was printed before the errata in question. I came into 3.5 fairly late in its run, so I have no idea.
No even late products sometimes did not use the Errata.....
For example despite the fact that errata removed polymorph from many creatures ,they kept having it in the stat blocks even in the very end....

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
Just like how there is a feat that lets a goliath keep powerful build when wild shaped...  It is completely useless since powerful build sticks around in wild shape one way or the other.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
Epic spellcasting can be used to grant a con score to a creature without one, like undead or constructs. Only problem is the DC is going to be quite high if you want to crank it to pre-undead tarrasque standards. Though may not be an issue with mitigating factor abuse.  :D
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.