Author Topic: Star Wars RPG Optimization?  (Read 7327 times)

Sydonis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Star Wars RPG Optimization?
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
So I've searched around, and despite the decent supply of supplements to the Star Wars RPG (Revised Rulebook, not Saga), there is absolutely nothing on the subject of character optimization.  Is there anything out there that maybe I've missed?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Star Wars RPG Optimization?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
Hokey old religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side, kid.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
Xexto Jedi (Ultimate Alien Anthology).
Take Weapon Finesse, Multi-weapon fighting, the Lightsaber Form that gives DEX to damage (Form 2 I think).

All I can remember for now. I have a friend that played this one. He solo'ed a Rancor at level 5 or 6 IIRC.

There was more, to add DEX to AC somehow and something about taking AoO whenever someone attacked you.

I don't have any books, but hopefully that might give a hint.

And no, I don't think there's any such topic hereabouts.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
ya, there are some around here.

the only thing i know in particular, in the current d20 setting, money breaks around 3rd level.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
ya, there are some around here.

the only thing i know in particular, in the current d20 setting, money breaks around 3rd level.
If you have a Noble willing to take the Wealth talent, it's stupid easy to get a lot of money.

Abusing the condition track for fun and profit is usually a good plan. Force Lightning is just silly and really ought to scale.

(Also, fun fact: I was about to pull up my PDF when I realized that I had a physical copy of the book inches away and was in fact using it as a mousepad.)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »
Optimize by getting SWSE, it's just plain better.  Otherwise, Jedi Consulars basically own the game with the Force.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Well, damn. This isn't actually a SWSE thread. For the previous edition, finding ways to deal wound point damage (critical hits) is very helpful. A decent Gamble skill is helpful for making money.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
Well, damn. This isn't actually a SWSE thread. For the previous edition, finding ways to deal wound point damage (critical hits) is very helpful. A decent Gamble skill is helpful for making money.

Ah, right.  Now I remember.  There's some Sporting Rifle in the gun book that has something insane like a 17-20 threat range?  Take that with the Elite Trooper (or something like that) PrC until you get to double your threat range on weapon attacks.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
i think hacking cred chips is like a DC25 check, so,third level is unlimited funds.

if not third, the easy by 5th.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
Well, referring to sites like these are like when a great mathmatician refers to a book of math.

It's easier to use something were the rules had already been laid out, but left to his own devices, given enough time, he would be able to reproduce the entire mathmatical system.

CharOp is like that, sometimes there's a lot of help, sometimes you've got to make it on your own.

That being said, I didn't optimize much back when I played the first star wars game, so all I know is SWSE, which is fairly easy to optimise. Since it is fairly simple.

EDIT: Yeah now I remember SWSE, the Use the force abilities are completely ridicolous, Move Object lets you hurl enemies into eachtoher, lightning basically kills at the low levels. If you are a Force Alter, you get to use Move Object twice at the cost of one move.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:28:49 PM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out