Author Topic: Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Spell Failure as a balancing mechanic.  (Read 9952 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Nytemare's PHB Rewrites: Spell Failure as a balancing mechanic.
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »
I don't want to derail the thread, but you make some good points.  I'm not even sure if I want to carry the game past around 10th level anyway, but that's a huge kludge.  I have to see what Phaedrus did to address that...
He basically said you can't cast spells from scrolls, period. They're only good for learning spells. Wands, staffs, and potions don't exist either, IIRC - basically, no cheap consumables. Combined with the attunement system that Tome defaults to (no more than 8 magic items working at any one time, and changing them takes a while), that fixes the worst.
That said, our own particular variant on Planar Binding let us grab an insane buff list through repeated Wishes, but the sheer number of interactions, durations, and the like added up to so much bookkeeping that it slowed the game to a crawl, so once this particular combat ends (if it ever does), we're going to stop using the imp as a Vend-A-Buff machine.

...at the very least, we'll trim the list back to the important things.
It also caused us to get so caught up in our wishlists that we forgot to give everyone flight.
And a way of talking to/perceiving each other.