Author Topic: Interplanetary Archery... help!  (Read 3960 times)

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Interplanetary Archery... help!
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »
I'm trying to get my archer to be able to shoot enemies on other plannets. Tough.

Range increasers:
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Interplanetary Archery... help!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »
Dragonbone material increases the range. There was another Prc that was used to get things to fire about 17 miles before. I'll see if I can find that build.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »
*cough* :p
um... RIGHT! Don't surpose there is any ligit way to get that pre epic?

Dragonbone material increases the range. There was another Prc that was used to get things to fire about 17 miles before. I'll see if I can find that build.
That would be great thanks.
What book is the material in?
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Perhaps if you were a 10th level Dragonwrought Kobold Rogue...

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »
Dragonomicon.

As far as netting the feat pre-epic, If you subscribe to DWK being a true dragon (don't start that argument again please) then if they are old they can take it once they meet the nonepic requirements. So level 18.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
As far as netting the feat pre-epic, If you subscribe to DWK being a true dragon (don't start that argument again please) then if they are old they can take it once they meet the nonepic requirements. So level 18.
ok so that won't be happening. So until Level 21 I'll have to rely on range boosters. Any more of them? Any any news on shooting through the ground?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
Well I can't find the build that fired 17 miles. I think it was on 339 and got eaten. As far as firing through the ground the DMG has your answers.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »
You might want to look into targeting as well. Can't shoot what you can't see, well, not properly.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »
Well I can't find the build that fired 17 miles. I think it was on 339 and got eaten. As far as firing through the ground the DMG has your answers.
Love it! and my mate can cast the spell too!

The_Russell

• Monkey bussiness
  • Just another mad man.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »

Is this the article you were referring to?
I didn't have time to browse through it and see if it had a build that can shoot 17 miles, but it has almost everything you will need in one place Cephid.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »
That isn't the one I was thinking of but it does look like it uses many of the same resources so it may be just as good.

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
Not sure if it helps but a Greatcrossbow with
(From the Archery Handbook)
Crossbow Sight, Gnome (+150 gp) [AE Pg. 36]
This is again a 3.0 ability, but unfortunately they simply haven't printed much of use for Crossbows in 3.5; it's a fair game to go 3.0 in search of goodies. Anyways, this is effectively a Sniper Scope. With this, you can truly act as a Crossbow Sniper. Basically, this allows you to ignore up to two range increment. Yes, that's right, with a Crossbow Sight, you can use a standard Heavy Crossbow at the range of 360' without any penalties whatsoever! And with Far Shot et al. this gets much better. Very handy, especially in wilderness and areas with long vision, it costs you practically nothing and gives you a huge, if sitiuational benefit so come midlevels, I'd get one immediately (it also allows using Hand Crossbow on medium ranges without penalties).

Might help :)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
Accuracy (Complete Arcane 96): +100% (warmage 1, wu jen 1, 10 min./level)
Arrow, Flight (Arms and Equipment Guide 5): +25'
Eagles' Cry Bow (Dragon Compendium 125): 220', can fire 20 range increments
Long-Range (Dragon 358 – 42): +20'

Edit:
Distance: +100%
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:48:43 PM by Maat_Mons »

Ed-Zero

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
Here's what I have copied down. As you can see, I made a couple attempts at it but I think some of calculations I made were incorrect.

+++

Distance Archer

Base race: Half Minotaur Goliath (remember, for every size catagory larger than medium your range goes up by 25%... so this guy gets a +50% to range) with Far Shot and Cragtop Archer 5. He weilds a Greatbow (base 130ft range) +1 of Distance, so his base range increment is 260ft. Cragtop Archer 5 lets you shoot at max range with no penalty (as a full round action) so that's 3900ft with no penalty. One level of Binder with Improved Binding lets you bind Malphas, whose bird lets you see at that range with no problem. Anyone trying to spot you has a -390 to their spot check, so running really doesn't matter much.

Now make the bow out of that wood that turns your arrows into Brilliant Energy automatically, and you can shoot from outside a dungeon into it and kill people entirely remotely.

You take a level of Binder so you can bind Malphas, which gives you a bird that can scout ahead for you. You see and hear everything the bird sees and hears, so your bird plays spotter. As a result, you stay safely hidden so far away that they can't possibly find you, while your bird makes sure you can always see the enemy, even through cover or through rocks (or through a mountain, if you like!). You can thus keep your bird with your party in a dungeon while you set up camp outside and pelt anything nasty that your bird detects with arrows.

So to reiterate: you have a character that's doing at least 3d8+10 damage per hit (which isn't bad for an archer), who can fire from complete safety, even through walls and rocks and dirt. His range is incredibly good, better than anything a smaller race could likely pull off. He's able to spot targets remotely and act like long range artillary. All in all, he's exactly what the OP wanted. Admittedly, he can't shoot through dirt until he gets brilliant energy, but still.

-
At least 3 levels in Cragtop Archer (for an ability that gives an extra 5 increments for a total of 15, rather than 10 - RoS pg101)

Far Shot (+50% per increment)

A Composite Great Bow (130ft increments) with the Distance magical property (double increment value for 260ft). (CWar)

Range Weapon Mastery - Piercing (adds 20 feet per increment - PH2 pg 82)

Maximum range - 6150 feet (1.16477 miles, 1874.52002 meters, 1.78452 km)

great bow 130 (CW)
dragon bone +20 (draconomicon)
far shot *1.5
distance *2
crag top archer arcing shot (15 range increments)
(150+150+75)*15=5625 feet

345 feet beyond 1 mile
this can be acheived at 10th level.
if it is possible to combine this with deepwood sniper,
then 150+150+75+100=475*15=7125 approx 1.35 miles

"Arrows, flight" from Arms and Equipment guide increase a bow's range increments by 25ft. Dont forget those!

-

composite greatbow: 130'
made of dragonbone : +20'
+25% from powerful build (assuming goliath or some such race): +37.5'
+100% from being colossal (item of giant size): +150'
x2 from the distance weapon property: +337.5'
-------
675' for the bow itself Actually, the distance property is not part of the base, making the base a 337.5 feet, and everything else would have to be based off of that, cutting you're total in half +337.5, more or less. Read about D&D stacking and addition/multiplying.

x2 from item of accuracy: +675'
x2 from item of wind tunnel: +675'
+50% from item of hawkeye: +337.5'
x1.5 from far shot feat: +337.5'
10th level deepwood sniper: +100'
flight arrow: +25'
-------
2825' range increment

So a 3rd level cragtop archer would be able to shoot an arrow 42375', or 8.03 miles.

--
My Ranged Distance Try (Hopefully to get farther than 8 miles

Goliath (Races of stone
Psion 17
Cragtop Archer 3

250 PP
69 PP used (17 times)

Calculations go as follow: (1st try, looks incorrect as Extend Range doesn't * after, but the base)
great bow 130 (CW)
dragon bone +20 (draconomicon)
far shot *1.5
distance *2
crag top archer arcing shot (15 range increments)
(150+150+75=375)*15*17(Extend Range Augmented)=95,625 feet or 18.11 miles

-

2nd Try:
The Bow:
-
Totals: 337.5 x 17(extend range) = 5737.5

far shot(PHB Feat) *1.5 (+8606.25)
distance(DMG) *2 (+11475)
accuracy(CA) *2 (+11475)
wind tunnel(Magic of Faerun) *2 (+11475)
hawkeye +50%(CD) (+2868.75)
flight arrow(A&E) +25'
crag top archer arcing shot[RoS] (15 range increments)
(5737.5+8606.25+11475+11475+11475+2868.75+25=51661.75)*15 = 774,926.25 (146.76 miles)

1 mile is 5280 feet.

-
3rd Try (without raising a manifester level - Most legal way of doing it)
The Bow:
-
Totals: 337.5 x 5(extend range) = 1687.5

far shot(PHB Feat) *1.5 (+2531.25)
distance(DMG) *2 (+3375)
accuracy(CA) *2 (+3375)
wind tunnel(Magic of Faerun) *2 (+3375)
hawkeye +50%(CD) (+843.75)
flight arrow(A&E) +25'
crag top archer arcing shot[RoS] (15 range increments)
(1687.5+2531.25+3375+3375+3375+843.75+25=15,212.5)*15 = 228,187.5 (43.21 miles)

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
...whose bird lets you see at that range with no problem...

Now make the bow out of that wood that turns your arrows into Brilliant Energy automatically, and you can shoot from outside a dungeon into it and kill people entirely remotely.
He remotely views into deep, dark places, and shoots them from the surface...

"Do you have an erection?"
Me: "YEEEESSS..."
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »

He remotely views into deep, dark places, and shoots them from ...

Right !
Remote View power says:
 You can attempt to manifest one power through your quasi-real viewpoint, but you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + level of the power you wish to manifest) to succeed. Manifesting (or attempting and failing to manifest) a power immediately ends the remote viewing.

So that's trans-planar, but then you "shoot" like normal.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 12:32:21 AM »
Looks great guys. Thanks. Where is the brilliant energy material from?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »
Looks great guys. Thanks. Where is the brilliant energy material from?
Enchantment from core.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.