Author Topic: Need help making a legacy shield.  (Read 3128 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Need help making a legacy shield.
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
With the blessing of my DM (CantripN in this case) I've been told to make my legacy weapon not suck. Costs have already been accounted for, so I just need to fill in the gaps. It's obviosly for use by a JPM, so anything that helps me slay great evils and be a tank is good. AC is a no-go though, since it really isn't worth the slots. Nothing is set in stone for it yet, feel free to change the ones that are already written.

Jade Phoenix Regalia

The Jade Phoenix Shield is a Heavy Shield with a phoenix motif emblazoned on the front. It was developed by one of the Jade Phoenix Mages in order to assist the order in later lives. It can (insert powers here)

Before its greater powers are awakened, the Jade Phoenix Shield is a +1 Feycraft Mithril Heavy Shield

Omen:
When donned, the Jade Phoenix Shield whispers a great oath against the Souldrake.
Least Ritual: The owner must have a major hand in slaying a local (country) evil.
Lesser Ritual: The owner must have a major hand in slaying a threat to the entire world.
Greater Ritual: The owner must personally cause the downfall of a planar threat.

Abilities
Base: +1 Feycraft Mithril Heavy Shield (2600gp)
5th-6th: Speed +10
7th-8th: Resist Fire 5
9th: Feather Falling
10th: Lightbringer (Dancing Lights, Light, and Flare at will, DC 10+Cha)

11th:
12th:
14th:
16th:

18th:
19th:
20th:

EDIT: For reference

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Need help making a legacy weapon.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
Make it intelligent.  You get blindsense, and it can self-activate.

not sure why you want mount, TBH.  It's kind of awful - replicating a 2gp animal with a legacy slot.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »
Pick up Cunning as early as you can. Where Uncanny Dodge merely lets you retain your Dex bonus to AC when caught flat-footed, Cunning outright says that you're never flat-footed. It's almost like having Foresight up all the time.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
This is the level 10 campaign, right? I mean, if this is for something of level 20, you should just back-end the enhancement bonuses as much as possible. If it is supposed to be viable for most levels, that doesn't really work that well.

Of course, since the only limit for starters is enhancement bonus, stack on it all the weapon abilities that don't increase enhancement bonus that you might ever want. Like stunning surge.

Faithful Strike helps against evils, and it's pretty good for 1 least slot. At this level, it's +3 untyped to attack and damage against opposed alignment. Definitely include it. 24/7 feather falling is also handy. Slippery Barrier is at-wills swift action that denies the target their dexterity AC. That, and it might actually trip someone if you get lucky. If you have sneak attack from somewhere, which you can by the way get from the weapon, (1d6 for 1 least slot. Upgrade more later. Also, assassination is +1 enhancement bonus for +1d6.) this should get fairly handy. The 24/7 shield if you have spell(s) remaining is also decent.

And cunning is OP.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Need help making a legacy shield.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
Update: It's a shield now, and I've been informed that I can't use the legacy weapon guide. I have to use the stuff on the Weapons of Legacy official lists. No extrapolating for me.

Ras F

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »
Make it out of sentira, instead of mithral. Crystal, with the same properties as mithral, from Secrets of Sarlona. Not only is it immune to rust effects, but it fits quite well as an intelligent item, being 'grown' and keyed to emotion.

Edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:30:58 PM by Ras F »
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
Or for a mere 1,500 gp, you could get it enchanted with the Blueshine property (MIC 9) and have it be immune to rust, acid damage, and grant a +2 competence bonus on Hide checks.

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:08:17 AM »
If you can enchant it with a constant effect spell, go for Mystic Shield. Immunity to all spells of 6th level and under is a fine thing for a shield to do.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:26:24 AM »
Or for a mere 1,500 gp, you could get it enchanted with the Blueshine property (MIC 9) and have it be immune to rust, acid damage, and grant a +2 competence bonus on Hide checks.

It would violate the Legacy rules: Has to be less than 2,001gp after Magic abilities. Blueshine requires a +1, so the final price is 3,500gp.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »

It would violate the Legacy rules: Has to be less than 2,001gp after Magic abilities. Blueshine requires a +1, so the final price is 3,500gp.
Fair enough. It's been a while since I statted up a legacy item.

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »

Nono. Armor, shields and weapons are not limited by cost. They are just limited by their effective enhancement bonus. Set price bonuses? You can apply ALL OF THEM. MORE. MOAR.

Yes. Your DM will smite you with a book. Any book he has nearby. Heavy book. And you deserve it. But still, that's how it works by RAW.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
IIRC, it's actually below 4000 or less than +1.

That is, both limits apply.
Planetouched Handbook

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
"Therefore, weapons and armor with a +2 or higher effective enhancement bonus cannot become legacy weapons, nor can any other magic items whose market price is above 4,000gp."

Nope. The armor can cost a few million fortunes and have all set-price enhancements as long as it doesn't have enhancement bonus of +2 or higher.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
It works as follows
IF: It is it a weapon or armor with a +2 or higher effective enhancement bonus
THEN: It cannot be a legacy weapon
ELSE (that is, it is not a weapon or armor with a +2 or higher effective enhancemnet bonus)
>IF: Price>4000 gp
>THEN: It cannot be a legacy weapon
>ELSE: It can be a legacy weapon.
Planetouched Handbook

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »
While that would be a reasonable way to interpret it, for example Bullybasher Gauntlets have a listed cost of 4,604 for the nonlegacy item. Fiendkiller's Flail is 4,330. Guurgal 4,304. These suggest that at least special materials are acceptable, even if it takes the item above 4000. There is nothing stopping the item from having a base price of over 4000, as long as it is made of some special material.

The RAW is quite shaky on this point. Yes, RAI is probably how you explain it, except that any kind of material is allowed, no matter the cost.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
Well, yes.  It explicitly says that in the next sentence

Weapons and armor made of special materials that increase their market price are still viable candidate items, as long as their initial enhancement bonus is no more than +1.
Planetouched Handbook

Amadi

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
So yes. Mithral Dagger with a crapton of fixed cost enhancement is acceptable, RAW.

Ras F

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »
So yes. Mithral Dagger with a crapton of fixed cost enhancement is acceptable, RAW.

Nytemare wants a usable legacy item. Not a T.O. one.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:31:43 PM by Ras F »
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.