Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 182017 times)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #980 on: February 22, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »
Q274: Which martial adept has the easiest recovery method? And could that recovery method be described please?
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #981 on: February 23, 2011, 12:05:49 AM »
Either the Crusader or the Warblade, depending on how you qualify "easiest".

A Crusader automatically recovers his manuvers without having to do anything.  However, he has no control over which manuvers are granted (and thus available for use).  Granted manuvers are always selected from your readied manuvers, but it's random which ones are granted each round.

A Warblade recovers all of his as a Swift action, but you have to follow that Swift action with either doing nothing as a standard action or attacking.  Your normal, vanillia attacks that you're used to as a melee character.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #982 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:12 AM »
Either the Crusader or the Warblade, depending on how you qualify "easiest".

A Crusader automatically recovers his manuvers without having to do anything.  However, he has no control over which manuvers are granted (and thus available for use).  Granted manuvers are always selected from your readied manuvers, but it's random which ones are granted each round.

A Warblade recovers all of his as a Swift action, but you have to follow that Swift action with either doing nothing as a standard action or attacking.  Your normal, vanillia attacks that you're used to as a melee character.

Thanks, that was just what I needed.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #983 on: February 23, 2011, 01:16:30 AM »
If you want to jump through a couple of hoops (and delve into questionable but legal rules areas), a Crusader can have the best of both worlds. Check out the Idiot Crusader for more details.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #984 on: February 23, 2011, 01:29:22 AM »
Q: What class would be best to gestalt with a White Raven Warblade? Marshal?

Why not Swordsage? You'll have gobs of manuevers - use Warbalde maneuvers to focus on melee attacks, things you'll want to use repeatedly in a single encounter. Use Swordsage maneuvers for more utilitarian stuff (mobility, funky throws, etc.).

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #985 on: February 23, 2011, 02:25:27 AM »
Q 276 What would you do for the unarmed strike progression is someone wanted to gestalt a monk/swordsage?

Q 277 How do you add reach (preferably a template or feat) to a creature(s) so that they can attack an annoying pest of a pixie ranger/scout who's constantly moving back and forth, and won't get in the range of my melee attacks?

Now for questions that likely are NOT so simple as no one's able to give me a clear cut answer, not even Sean Reynolds, and that's saying something. If you've got answers, I'd love to see the reference material to back it up because I need it.

Q 278 When does epic progression start for a creature who takes class levels? At 21 HD, or at 21 class levels? I've seen both, and I've been told both. My examples for the latter are Ulu-Thurg from Savage Tides (an advanced bar-lgura sorcerer/assassin), and the Eldritch Giant Confessor cleric 11 from MMIII (and the errata doesn't list the BAB as needing to be lower).

Q 279 How does a roper's SR of 30 progress as it's HD and CR go up?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #986 on: February 23, 2011, 04:17:28 AM »
Q 276 What would you do for the unarmed strike progression is someone wanted to gestalt a monk/swordsage?

Q 277 How do you add reach (preferably a template or feat) to a creature(s) so that they can attack an annoying pest of a pixie ranger/scout who's constantly moving back and forth, and won't get in the range of my melee attacks?

Now for questions that likely are NOT so simple as no one's able to give me a clear cut answer, not even Sean Reynolds, and that's saying something. If you've got answers, I'd love to see the reference material to back it up because I need it.

Q 279 How does a roper's SR of 30 progress as it's HD and CR go up?

A276: Assuming it's an unarmed swordsage, you do the same thing you do whenever you try to progress the same feature twice at the same gestalt level: not much. You can't progress the same class feature more than once at any gestalt level, so your monk//unarmed swordsage would have an unarmed strike progression as per the levels that he took monk, unarmed swordsage, or both (and the levels that he took both don't count twice, even if he takes levels with neither class later on).

A277: Anything that increases size will add reach, such as the Half-Minotaur template. There are a few templates that add natural weapons the specifically have greater reach, but the only one I can think of is Voidmind (and you don't want that one).
   As per feats, the Deformity (tall) and Inhuman Reach feats grant you extra reach (note that they both require prerequisite feats). There are a few others that give you reach, but they're more limited or more obscure.

A279: It doesn't. A Roper has an SR of 30, whether it has 10 HD, 100 HD, or 1 HD. If you want to increase it, you'll have to do so manually.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #987 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:20 AM »
A277: Anything that increases size will add reach, such as the Half-Minotaur template. There are a few templates that add natural weapons the specifically have greater reach, but the only one I can think of is Voidmind (and you don't want that one).
   As per feats, the Deformity (tall) and Inhuman Reach feats grant you extra reach (note that they both require prerequisite feats). There are a few others that give you reach, but they're more limited or more obscure.
Shoot. Those feats only add another 5 feet total.

Improved Manyshot mixed with Shot on the Run is a bugger to deal with.

BTW, who's setting up #23? We're on page 50.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:28:45 AM by kevin_video »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #988 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »
Shoot. Those feats only add another 5 feet total.

Improved Manyshot mixed with Shot on the Run is a bugger to deal with.

BTW, who's setting up #23? We're on page 50.
you're doing it wrong. Windwall or Protection from Arrows in that case.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #989 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
No, no. See, monsters don't naturally have spells up and I also want to hit him back.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #990 on: February 23, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »
No, no. See, monsters don't naturally have spells up and I also want to hit him back.

Readied Action? Monsters with its own ranged attacks? Decent AC, because Manyshot drops to hit like mad?