Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 182010 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #820 on: February 16, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
Q234: Is Point Blank Shot precision damage that does not function on crit immune?

Q235: Does a Ranger get Favored Enemy damage against Undead, Unstructs, Oozes, etc...?
Placeholder - T'tosc

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #821 on: February 16, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
Q234: Is Point Blank Shot precision damage that does not function on crit immune?

Q235: Does a Ranger get Favored Enemy damage against Undead, Unstructs, Oozes, etc...?
234) No and 235) Yes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #822 on: February 16, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »

234) No and 235) Yes.

The thing is the DMG calls out Favored Enemy as precision damage.  Sure this was before it was better (I say better, not well) defined.
Placeholder - T'tosc

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: February 16, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
The thing is the DMG calls out Favored Enemy as precision damage.  Sure this was before it was better (I say better, not well) defined.
It's also supposed to be the exception to its own rule though.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #824 on: February 16, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
IIRC, it used to not work on undead in 3.0, then got ruled to not really be precision damage in 3.5e (hence the jokes about rangers being racism-powered.)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #825 on: February 16, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Bump

Q 210 Looking at the Carrionette in Dragon 339 pg 49, I'm reading up on the Mind Switch ability they have, and it says that it's like the spell Magic Jar. However, Magic Jar at least gives you a Will save. I see nothing of the sort here. Do you really not get one? The slowing needles give you a Fort save. Does it just not mention a Will save, and you should just add one in?

Q 231 It says a Rot Reaver and Necrothane use the Wound Rot ability immediately after hitting with their cleavers, doing 1 CON damage. This is a touch attack. Do they really get to use this ability after EVERY attack with their cleaver, every round?

A210: If it says it mimics the Magic Jar spell, it mimics it in all ways that it doesn't explicitly specify otherwise. So, since it doesn't mention the removal of the Will save, the subject still gets one.

A231: Yup, every time it deals damage in melee with a cleaver, it gets a free touch attack for 1 Con damage. This means every damaging cleaver attack on a full attack, attacks of opportunity, bonus attacks from Haste and the like, and anything else.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
A231: Yup, every time it deals damage in melee with a cleaver, it gets a free touch attack for 1 Con damage. This means every damaging cleaver attack on a full attack, attacks of opportunity, bonus attacks from Haste and the like, and anything else.
And yet it's only a CR 6. Seems like a lot of people were right about MMIII being overpowered given the CR they have.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #827 on: February 16, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »
And yet it's only a CR 6. Seems like a lot of people were right about MMIII being overpowered given the CR they have.
Think of it this way.  For a typical character, you aren't going to get hit eight times by a CR 6 monster and reasonably expect to survive.

Each point of con damage is essentially equivalent to 3 extra hit point damage - although it is, admittedly, much harder to heal.
Planetouched Handbook

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #828 on: February 16, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
The thing is the DMG calls out Favored Enemy as precision damage.  Sure this was before it was better (I say better, not well) defined.
IIRC, it used to not work on undead in 3.0, then got ruled to not really be precision damage in 3.5e (hence the jokes about rangers being racism-powered.)

Actually, the racism would work better in 3.0, since you could only select your own race as FE if you were Evil.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #829 on: February 16, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »
Think of it this way.  For a typical character, you aren't going to get hit eight times by a CR 6 monster and reasonably expect to survive.

Each point of con damage is essentially equivalent to 3 extra hit point damage - although it is, admittedly, much harder to heal.

Not only that, but the Rot Reaver's not that impressive solo for a CR 6. The wound rot is pretty much its only really threatening attack. Its combat numbers are weak compared to other CR 6 enemies. Compare it to the Ettin, Girallon, Tendriculos, or Wyvern. Those are some of the better combat monsters that I found, but most of the others have some good trick to use otherwise, along with similar combat numbers to the Rot Reaver.

The Rot Reaver's got some strong undead allies if it optimizes them, though. 10 HD of zombies and another 10 HD of commanded undead can easily make the minions more powerful than the boss. That's the thing to be worried about. If anything, the minions are what should make the Rot Reaver higher than CR 6.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #830 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »
Q236

I am playing a level 4 gnome sorcerer and still have 900g left to spend.  I have so far a healing belt, arcanist gloves, watch lamp, one wand of mage armor, two daggers (Masterwork), a quarterstaff (Masterwork), 2 tanglefoot bags, bracers of armor, and a watch lamp.  Any suggestions one what else to buy?  I have an 8 strength and dunno if DM is being a PITA on encumbrance rules so I am erring on the side of not being too over loaded.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #831 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:04 PM »
Q236

I am playing a level 4 gnome sorcerer and still have 900g left to spend.  I have so far a healing belt, arcanist gloves, watch lamp, one wand of mage armor, two daggers (Masterwork), a quarterstaff (Masterwork), 2 tanglefoot bags, bracers of armor, and a watch lamp.  Any suggestions one what else to buy?  I have an 8 strength and dunno if DM is being a PITA on encumbrance rules so I am erring on the side of not being too over loaded.
Feather token: trees are always a good choice.
Planetouched Handbook

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #832 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
Q237: Does anyone have a link to a list of Wild Shape forms?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #833 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
q. 238 - What's the easiest way for a 11th level Wizard to make an underground passage?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #834 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
q. 238 - What's the easiest way for a 11th level Wizard to make an underground passage?
This way.
Planetouched Handbook

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #835 on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:59 PM »
This way.

True, but it has to be a long way, about 13 km (42650.918 ')

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #836 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »
Bind things to do it for you. Find the rare creature with a Burrow Speed that does leave a hole.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #837 on: February 17, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »
Bind things to do it for you. Find the rare creature with a Burrow Speed that does leave a hole.

Dire Badger, Summon Monster III, or just buy one for 115gp or so.

Ankhegs also leave holes, but are pricier. (See Races of Stone.)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #838 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:25 AM »
What exactly do you need it for?  Time frame?  Kind of stone?

A Remorhaz would work.  The tunnels it creates should be melted in the sides, which should prevent caveins.

If you have years, the cheapest way is probably to get some kobold miners to work on it.  They excavate a number of feet/day equal to their profession: miner check - 10, and three kobold miners can use aid another on the lead miner.  So if you hire four level 1 expert kobolds (at 1 sp/day each) for a segment.
The take 10 result would be 10 + 4 (ranks)+2 (racial)+6 (aid another) +2(masterwork pick) +1 (wis)= 25, which is 15' /day.  Since "excavation is represented as a fixed number of 5-foot cubes per miner", and you've got four miners there, those four kobolds just tunneled through 60' of solid rock in a day.  And all it cost you was 4 sp.

Start two teams of kobolds (each of which contains 12 kobolds, continuously working in 8 hour shifts), one on each end of the tunnel, and have them meet in the middle.  It'll take you four months, and cost you almost 400 gp (a quarter of which is going to the masterwork picks, which I assume you'll let the kobolds keep).

Now, the way the price scaling works, you're going to be shelling out 285 gp for the kobold's labor regardless of how long it takes, since 60 kobolds for one day costs the same as one kobold for sixty days.  

Now, if you don't want to shell out an additional 50 gp/ 4 kobolds to give the lead miner of each team a masterwork pick, you can go down to reliably excavating 10'/kobold/day.  In that case, you'd hire about six hundred kobolds for a week, and have them go at it.  
Since each site except the ends can have kobolds going forward and backward, and three shifts of laboring kobolds/day, you'd end up with 600/(3*4*2) +1= 26 different sites (counting the start and end points) where you'd have to begin labor.  Difficult, but doable.  If you dialed back to a month, you'd need

The moral of the story is that kobolds are industrious little buggers, and wizards ought to know when to subcontract.  

And first level characters should be sure as hell those kobolds aren't under contract.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:43:11 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: February 17, 2011, 04:22:04 AM »
If you want to be slightly more expensive, hire maugs at 5gp per day + 2gp per class level. Maug Expert 20 is 45 gp a day and does not need to rest.