Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 181757 times)

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #800 on: February 15, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
Q 221: Is there a way to qualify to have Manipulate Form used on you without actually being a scaled one? I'm thinking the subtype might work if there is one, but I can't find anything on it.
A 221: Nevermind, I found it. Snake Blood feat from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting book.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #801 on: February 15, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
Q223

Ok.  Say a sorcerer or wizards (level 1) hits a 6hd critter with color spray.  It is stunned for one round.  Before the round it up and the wizard/sorcerer has won initative the wiz/sor uses a tanglefoot bag on said baddie.  Is the baddy allowed a reflex save to not be stuck to the floor? 

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #802 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
Q223

Ok.  Say a sorcerer or wizards (level 1) hits a 6hd critter with color spray.  It is stunned for one round.  Before the round it up and the wizard/sorcerer has won initative the wiz/sor uses a tanglefoot bag on said baddie.  Is the baddy allowed a reflex save to not be stuck to the floor? 
You get a reflex save even if you are unconscious or helpless.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #803 on: February 15, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
Q223

Well, if you're unconscious, you're considered willing and thus don't get a save, IIRC, but just being helpless isn't enough to deny them the save.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #804 on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
Q223

Well, if you're unconscious, you're considered willing and thus don't get a save, IIRC, but just being helpless isn't enough to deny them the save.
Nah, willing is just for spells that restrict you to willing targets (like dim door or cure or something)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #805 on: February 15, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »
Q224: Advancing monsters by HD: if an entry says 3HD (Medium) and 4-6HD (Large), does that mean it becomes large sized when it has a total 4HD, or 4 in addition to it's base HD? For example, does a wolf become Large sized at 4hd, or 6hd?

Q224a:
Does the HD listed represent [what should be] a hard max for the creature? In other words, that wolf can only have a total of 6hd (or 8, if it's in addition to).

Q225:
If a Druid's (or ranger's) animal companion gets enough HD, do they gain a size increase?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #806 on: February 15, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
Q224: Advancing monsters by HD: if an entry says 3HD (Medium) and 4-6HD (Large), does that mean it becomes large sized when it has a total 4HD, or 4 in addition to it's base HD? For example, does a wolf become Large sized at 4hd, or 6hd?

4hd
Q224a:[/b] Does the HD listed represent [what should be] a hard max for the creature? In other words, that wolf can only have a total of 6hd (or 8, if it's in addition to).

Should be max, it screws with an already broken CR system.
Q225:[/b] If a Druid's (or ranger's) animal companion gets enough HD, do they gain a size increase?
No

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #807 on: February 15, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
Q 226
when improving a monster (increased HD, size, etc.) and adding a template that changes the creature type, what order should I use for adjusting CR?

For a specific example:
1HD humaniod advanced to 20 HD, increased 2 size categories, and with Monster of Legend template.
1) +5 for HD, +2 for size, +2 for template = +9
 --or--
2) +2 for template, +2 for size, +10 for HD = +14.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:16:41 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #808 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
Q 227

The Crown chakra bind of the Crystal Helm soulmeld gives a character's attacks the [force] descriptor. Aside from fully affecting incorporeal creatures, as the text states, does this change anything else about the weapon's damage, such as allowing it to overcome damage reduction or hardness?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #809 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »
Q 227

The Crown chakra bind of the Crystal Helm soulmeld gives a character's attacks the [force] descriptor. Aside from fully affecting incorporeal creatures, as the text states, does this change anything else about the weapon's damage, such as allowing it to overcome damage reduction or hardness?
Not as far as I know. The SRD says that "most of these descriptors have no game effect by themselves," so I would assume nothing other than what the soulmeld calls out.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #810 on: February 15, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »
Q 227

Not as far as I know. The SRD says that "most of these descriptors have no game effect by themselves," so I would assume nothing other than what the soulmeld calls out.
Then, it goes on to say "but they govern how the spell interacts with other spells, with special abilities, with unusual creatures, with alignment, and so on." DR is a special ability, I'd say. It definitely shouldn't work that way, given that Incarnates get it at level 2, but I'm wondering exactly what the RAW is here. I thought I remembered something about a spell's or attack's damage type matching its descriptor, or was it the other way around?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #811 on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
As far as I have been told, a bound crystal helm allows you to hit incorpreal creatures and bypasses DR.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #812 on: February 15, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »
Q228

Thanks for before.  Since stunned means an affected critter/player loses their Dex to AC and tanglefoot bag is a ranged touched attack then say..a vampire would have a 10 touch AC barring anything odd?  If that is the case then if said vampire loses the Ref check after being effected by a tanglefoot bag and is now glued to the floor what would be a reasonable rule on taking it out since it is undead and not effected by coupe de grace.

Q228a

Using color spray on any 5 hd critter should render it blind and stunned for a round with a second round being stunned.  If a critter is blind in the first place I assume it is only stunned for two rounds?  Am I correct?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #813 on: February 15, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
Q 227

Then, it goes on to say "but they govern how the spell interacts with other spells, with special abilities, with unusual creatures, with alignment, and so on." DR is a special ability, I'd say. It definitely shouldn't work that way, given that Incarnates get it at level 2, but I'm wondering exactly what the RAW is here. I thought I remembered something about a spell's or attack's damage type matching its descriptor, or was it the other way around?
Yeah, I was going to type that out and use it as an example of how it would interact with, say, Forceward, but I was too lazy. :P That said, I don't think it would be a terribly broken interpretation, even if adding a descriptor to a spell/attack doesn't actually change the type of damage it deals (see Snowcasting).

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #814 on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »
Q228Q229: What are some PrC's(or base classes) with their own arcane spell lists that have spells at a lower level than normal?  Trapsmith etc.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:03:43 AM by Rejakor »

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #815 on: February 16, 2011, 12:40:37 AM »
Q228: What are some PrC's(or base classes) with their own arcane spell lists that have spells at a lower level than normal?  Trapsmith etc.
click me, etc. 'hope this can help.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #816 on: February 16, 2011, 02:20:32 AM »
Bump

Q 162 Is there an epic version of the Belt of Magnificence? If not, how much would it be for a +8, +10, and +12? I Googled it, and someone rounded it down to "around" 8 million. Another person here, on an old, old Ask thread, said around 4 million.

Q 163a Apparently the Deathbringer, like other MMII creatures, are incredibly underpowered given their CR. It's even been said that they should actually be a CR 13. Is this true? What CR would you say it should be rated, given it's current stats?
Q 163b What older Dungeon magazine adventure has a Deathbringer in it?

Q 209 I'm looking for a really simple mansion or house map. I've looked up map-of-the-week maps on WotC, and they're all too big and extravagant for what I'm needing. Just a basic three or four bedroom 2-floor house, and a cellar for a basement. Any chance anyone's got something that simplistic?

Q 210 Looking at the Carrionette in Dragon 339 pg 49, I'm reading up on the Mind Switch ability they have, and it says that it's like the spell Magic Jar. However, Magic Jar at least gives you a Will save. I see nothing of the sort here. Do you really not get one? The slowing needles give you a Fort save. Does it just not mention a Will save, and you should just add one in?

Q 230 What items (for all races) give you tongues? I've already seen the Pearl of Speech, and the Amulet of Wordtwisting (gives orcs tongues). There's also a staff that'll give it to you, but the character doesn't arcane spell slots.

Q 231 It says a Rot Reaver and Necrothane use the Wound Rot ability immediately after hitting with their cleavers, doing 1 CON damage. This is a touch attack. Do they really get to use this ability after EVERY attack with their cleaver, every round?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:28:39 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #817 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
Q 232:What are a couple good non-DMG magic items for a Sorcerer (Evoker)?

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #818 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
Q 233: What are some good buffs for skill checks?  Is there a list somewhere that has them?  Specifically looking at arcane buffs but divine might be handleable.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #819 on: February 16, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »
Q224a: Does the HD listed represent [what should be] a hard max for the creature? In other words, that wolf can only have a total of 6hd (or 8, if it's in addition to).

The official answer to this can be found on page 7 of the Monster Manual. 

Advancement
This book usually describes only the most commonly encountered version of a creature (though some entries for advanced monsters can be found). The advancement line shows how tough a creature can get, in terms of extra Hit Dice. (This is not an absolute limit, but exceptions are extremely rare.) Often, intelligent creatures advance by gaining a level in a character class instead of just gaining a new Hit Die.