Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 181763 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #620 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »
Didn't see two weapon fighting. At in an extra attack at full BAB and subtract all bonuses by 2.

Warshaper can grow an arbitrarily large amount of natural attacks. soooo I can't write the hypothetical attack spread, it's arbitrarily large. Snap Kick only adds one unarmed attack per round. The neat thing about Snap Kick is you can put that attack wherever you want, even AoOs and Strikes.

Okay, assuming Warshaper isn't cheesing out attack quantities... and he's NOT raging, but he IS using many infinite use abilities (twf, snap kick, combining claws and IAS I guess...?) to get a larger number of attacks... his attack routine looks like...?

So it would be something like
Main hand
off hand
snap kick
main hand iterative
main hand iterative
main hand iterative
claw
claw
bite
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:42:40 AM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #621 on: February 07, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »
Didn't see two weapon fighting. At in an extra attack at full BAB and subtract all bonuses by 2.

Warshaper can grow an arbitrarily large amount of natural attacks. soooo I can't write the hypothetical attack spread, it's arbitrarily large. Snap Kick only adds one unarmed attack per round. The neat thing about Snap Kick is you can put that attack wherever you want, even AoOs and Strikes.

TWF penalties don't affect natural weapons. They only apply to the manufactured weapons that are being two-/multi-weapon fought with. So, the natural weapon bonuses will be the same as you listed earlier, only the manufactured weapon attacks (including the unarmed strikes) will take the -2 penalty.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #622 on: February 07, 2011, 02:07:05 AM »
Main hand
off hand
snap kick
main hand iterative
main hand iterative
main hand iterative
claw
claw
bite
Yes. Garryl may be correct about TWF and natural attacks. I didn't check.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #623 on: February 07, 2011, 02:38:24 AM »

TWF penalties don't affect natural weapons. They only apply to the manufactured weapons that are being two-/multi-weapon fought with. So, the natural weapon bonuses will be the same as you listed earlier, only the manufactured weapon attacks (including the unarmed strikes) will take the -2 penalty.

Okay, I'm going to make a new thread... this has gotten too complicated for this one!
BG's other resident furry!

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #624 on: February 07, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
Q137
There was a Dragon Magazine with a table that listed LAs for normally LA - monsters like beholder. Does anybody remember which Dragon that was in?
I too, would like to see this.
Bumping this. Is it real?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

ktkenshinx

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »
Q159:

In Unearthed Arcana, Monks have the option of selecting alternate fighting styles, changing their base feats that they would get by virtue of being a Monk 1, 2, and 6.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingStyles

One of the last sentences in this entry reads: "A monk can abandon her fighting style by selecting a different bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level; however, if she does so, she loses the bonus on skill checks gained at 1st level and never gains the bonus ability of the fighting style (even if she meets the prerequisites). " I have bolded the most important part of that sentence for this question.

What other "bonus" feats can the Monk select from here? I have used this trick a lot in the past, and now I am wondering how it really works. There are a few possibilities as I see it:

1) The monk can select a different bonus feat from this list that he must meet prerequisites for AND that corresponds to the same level slot that he ditched the previous feat from. Example: if the Monk took Stunning Fist at level 1 (part of the Hand and Foot style) he can take either take Deflect Arrows from Hand and Foot, or Combat Reflexes from Denying Stance, or anything else that had a level 2 slot.

2) The monk can select a different bonus feat from this list that he meets prereqs for and that comes from ANY level of the other combat styles. Example: if the Monk took Stunning Fist at level 1, he can take Improved Grapple (normally Level 1 from Denying Stance) instead of the usual Deflect Arrows (Hand and Foot Level 2).

3) The monk can select ANY BONUS FEAT PERIOD that he qualifies for. Example: Monk can ditch Deflect Arrows at level 2 and take, say, Expeditious Dodge, even though this is not on the monk list.

I am on the side of (3), because most of these feats are taken without prerequisites anyway, and because it seems to be implied by the wording of "bonus feat" [from the lists].

I would prefer a RAW answer and not an RAI answer. Thanks.

-ktkenshinx-

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #626 on: February 07, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
It's talking about a modification to a monk's ability to select bonus feats.  I think it's pretty clear that selecting a feat refers to the normal ability to select a bonus feat, unless otherwise noted.  That means it is subject to all the normal restrictions a monk has when selecting bonus feats, unless otherwise noted. 

The only exception in that paragraph is that you cease to be required to get the specific bonus feat dictated by your combat style.  Since no exceptions are noted regarding the other limitations of bonus feat selection, they are still in effect. 

In the rest of the entry, the only other exceptions to the normal limitations are that you get the specific bonus feats associated with your combat style.  This does not open the door to any other feats. 

I can't see any possible support for being able to take a feat other than the one dictated by your combat style or the feats normally available to a monk. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #627 on: February 08, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »
Q 160 Am I reading Skin of Power Dampening right? It says that 3/day, as an immediate action, it minimizes damage from spells, SLA, and powers that target you, for 1 round. Then it gives an example of how a 5th level wizard casting lightning bolt would only do 5 damage to you, or 2 if you saved. Does this mean that if a 20th level caster, doing a spell that had a max of 20d6 would do 20, and a spell that did a max of 15d6 would only do 15? Or how does this work?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #628 on: February 08, 2011, 01:28:11 AM »
Q 160 Am I reading Skin of Power Dampening right? It says that 3/day, as an immediate action, it minimizes damage from spells, SLA, and powers that target you, for 1 round. Then it gives an example of how a 5th level wizard casting lightning bolt would only do 5 damage to you, or 2 if you saved. Does this mean that if a 20th level caster, doing a spell that had a max of 20d6 would do 20, and a spell that did a max of 15d6 would only do 15? Or how does this work?
Yep.  You can get the same effect from a third eye:dampening 1/dsay.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #629 on: February 08, 2011, 02:04:51 AM »
Q 161 Aside from Expansion-enabled Incarnate Warforged, are there any Giants with +0 LA?
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #630 on: February 08, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »
Q 161 Aside from Expansion-enabled Incarnate Warforged, are there any Giants with +0 LA?

I think an incarnate maug would work (3 racial HD IIRC), checking. Nope I had it wrong +3 LA and 2 HD. I think there probably is a large construct with just 2 LA so incarnating that would work, otherwise I don't believe there are 0 LA giants.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #631 on: February 08, 2011, 02:23:20 AM »
Q 162 Is there an epic version of the Belt of Magnificence? If not, how much would it be for a +8, +10, and +12? I Googled it, and someone rounded it down to "around" 8 million.

Q 163a Apparently the Deathbringer, like other MMII creatures, are incredibly underpowered given their CR. It's even been said that they should actually be a CR 13. Is this true? What CR would you say it should be rated, given it's current stats?
Q 163b What older Dungeon magazine adventure has a Deathbringer in it?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:51:12 AM by kevin_video »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #632 on: February 08, 2011, 06:40:40 AM »
It's been asked before, but nobody's found a better one (I assume you want to pull primordial giant shenanigans?).

Expansion enabled incarnate dustform anything is LA+0...

Or incarnate dustform half-minotaur at LA+1?

Otherwise, half-giant is the lowest LA you can get for giant type.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #633 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »
It's been asked before, but nobody's found a better one (I assume you want to pull primordial giant shenanigans?).

Expansion enabled incarnate dustform anything is LA+0...

Or incarnate dustform half-minotaur at LA+1?

Otherwise, half-giant is the lowest LA you can get for giant type.

Yeah on the Primordial Giant. I've had a character idea stuck in my head for a day or two now, and an actual Giant is the only thing true to it. I guess Half-Giant will have to do.
Solo on Essentials

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #634 on: February 08, 2011, 07:07:08 AM »
Q159:

In Unearthed Arcana, Monks have the option of selecting alternate fighting styles, changing their base feats that they would get by virtue of being a Monk 1, 2, and 6.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingStyles

One of the last sentences in this entry reads: "A monk can abandon her fighting style by selecting a different bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level; however, if she does so, she loses the bonus on skill checks gained at 1st level and never gains the bonus ability of the fighting style (even if she meets the prerequisites). " I have bolded the most important part of that sentence for this question.

It's effectively an ACF.  As such, you could take one of the normal Monk bonus feats (so you're not taking all 6 ACF levels), but this abandons the bonus on skill checks and the bonus ability of the style.

JaronK

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #635 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
Q 164 Besides Magic-Blooded, Unseelie Fey, and Primordial Giant, what other +0 LA templates provide a charisma boost, if any?

Q 162 Is there an epic version of the Belt of Magnificence? If not, how much would it be for a +8, +10, and +12? I Googled it, and someone rounded it down to "around" 8 million.

Tentative A 162
The math for the +2 and +4 belt seems to be 6250*(bonus squared). The +6 version doesn't follow that, but I'm assuming there's a discount on the +6, since the +2 and +4 match up. The rules for epic items involves making the formula 6250*(Bonus Squared)*10. So if you follow the more prevalent example, the +8, +10, and +12 would be 4,000,000, 6,250,000 and 9,000,000, respectively. Which winds up being slightly more expensive than all six stat boosting items (weighing in at 8,640,000), but it does save you five slots.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:34:51 AM by RelentlessImp »
Solo on Essentials

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #636 on: February 08, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Q 164 Besides Magic-Blooded, Unseelie Fey, and Primordial Giant, what other +0 LA templates provide a charisma boost, if any?
Depends on what exactly you're going for. If you're a sorcerer, you can swap out your familiar for Blood of Siberys. It gives you an effective +4 to CHA for the purpose of receiving bonus spells and the maximum spell level you can cast.

So basically if you had 16 CHA as a base, this would give you an additional 4th and 5th level spell (count as CHA 20), and you could cast 7th to 9th level spells when you gained them.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #637 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
Yeah on the Primordial Giant. I've had a character idea stuck in my head for a day or two now, and an actual Giant is the only thing true to it. I guess Half-Giant will have to do.
Keep in mind it's Inherited and Incarnate Construct is Acquired. I wish this idea worked too.  :(

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #638 on: February 08, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
Q 165

Does an ability that affects the user's allies but does not specify whether the user benefits, for example the Bolstering Voice stance, affect the user by defautl or exclude the user by default?
Example wording:
Quote from: Tome of Battle page 91
[...]
While in this stance, all allies within range who can hear you gain a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, or a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against fear effects.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #639 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
A165 By default, you are your own ally.  Don't remember the source though.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286