Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 182011 times)

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2011, 05:43:42 AM »
q92 Do soulmelds work in Alternate Form?

As long as you have the appropriate 'slots', yes.

Q 93: Which LA +0/ +1 templates legal on humanoids increase your lifespan? Other than Dragonborn.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
Necropolitan.  Obviously.

Ghost 1.  Obviously.

Unseelie fey.  Verrrrrrrry arguably.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2011, 05:57:09 AM »
A93 Neopolitan Necropolitan for no lifespan at all.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2011, 06:03:05 AM »
Necropolitan.  Obviously.

Ghost 1.  Obviously.

Unseelie fey.  Verrrrrrrry arguably.

Yes the GM requires a pulse with the lifespan. Unseelie fey huh? Why arguably?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »
The Wizards response to whether or not fey are immortal is canonically "hell if we know".
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »
Is there any reason you can't use an immortal base race, like elan, killoren, or warforged? 

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
Is there any reason you can't use an immortal base race, like elan, killoren, or warforged? 

Going into Gnomish Shadowcrafter, so the base race is set.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
How do you feel about feats, items, and spells?  Have you read Immortality: A Guide to Eternal Life

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
Q 94 Is the casting as a wizard of 17th level that a black ethergaunt has independent of its hit dice (such that, supposing I make a simulacrum of said black ethergaunt, which by the nature of the spell has half the HD, does the simulacrum still cast as a wizard of 17th level)?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Q 94 Is the casting as a wizard of 17th level that a black ethergaunt has independent of its hit dice (such that, supposing I make a simulacrum of said black ethergaunt, which by the nature of the spell has half the HD, does the simulacrum still cast as a wizard of 17th level)?
No. It's like dragons who cast as a sorcerer, and if they take sorcerer levels, they can cast more spells. The same goes for the ethergaunts. If they take wizard levels, their wizard casting goes up. So if they're at half HD, then they should be at half their current wizard level. Likely rounded down.

Have a peek at this thread. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7733.msg255597#msg255597
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
No. It's like dragons who cast as a sorcerer, and if they take sorcerer levels, they can cast more spells. The same goes for the ethergaunts. If they take wizard levels, their wizard casting goes up. So if they're at half HD, then they should be at half their current wizard level. Likely rounded down.

Have a peek at this thread. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7733.msg255597#msg255597
Actually by raw,Yes it would have the 17 level casting even if it is a similacrum....
An Etthergaunt is totally different from a dragon because the Ethergaunt's casting does not depend on his hit dice.....
The same thing would happen if you similacrum a Solar or a Planetar.....
What Kevin Suggests is a houserule ailbeit, a very reasonable one....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »

Actually by raw,Yes it would have the 17 level casting even if it is a similacrum....
An Etthergaunt is totally different from a dragon because the Ethergaunt's casting does not depend on his hit dice.....
Seriously? That can't be right. That would mean, RAW, that a black ethergaunt simulacrum, which would probably be CR 9 or 10, would have 17th level wizard casting capabilities. That seems kind of strong.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »

Seriously? That can't be right. That would mean, RAW, that a black ethergaunt simulacrum, which would probably be CR 9 or 10, would have 17th level wizard casting capabilities. That seems kind of strong.
I know but unfortunately by raw a similacrum has all the abilities of the monster if it had half hit dice.....
Unfortunately for an Ethergaunt and other creatures(like a solar,Planetar)their casting is not dependent on their hit dice....
Just as an advanched solar to 30 hit dice would still cast as a 20 level caster ,a 10  hit dice similacrum of a solar would cast as a 20 too....
Now I know that this seems and it is silly,and most dms I know wouldn't even touch it.....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
I know but unfortunately by raw a similacrum has all the abilities of the monster if it had half hit dice.....
Unfortunately for an Ethergaunt and other creatures(like a solar,Planetar)their casting is not dependent on their hit dice....
Just as an advanched solar to 30 hit dice would still cast as a 20 level caster ,a 10  hit dice similacrum of a solar would cast as a 20 too....
Now I know that this seems and it is silly,and most dms I know wouldn't even touch it.....
Wow. I've already treated it like you could change it up, and that they weren't independent. That, like dragons, the first few HD developed other things, like their SLA, but later levels gave them cleric levels.

I guess it's all a matter of interpretation.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
Wow. I've already treated it like you could change it up, and that they weren't independent. That, like dragons, the first few HD developed other things, like their SLA, but later levels gave them cleric levels.

No, it's not.  It's pretty much black-and-white RAW.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

No, it's not.  It's pretty much black-and-white RAW.
I don't see it, and I'm fine with living with that ignorance.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »

You see dragons change their caster level as they grow.....
For example an ancient gold has 15,a wyrm has 17 and a great wyrm has 19.....
Dragon are specific at when they get their abilities.....

Nothing similar is stated about other creatures like solars,planetars,Ethergaunts etc......
Of course I am not saying that it should work this way....
It is a dm's job  to change it to something more balanced......

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
Q 95: The Sugliin (weapon from Frostburn) deals 2d6 damage for a small weapon, and 2d8 damage for a Medium weapon.  How much damage should it do as a Large weapon? (for a goliath)

In the Larger and Smaller weapons table from the SRD, it doesn't have a line for medium weapons that deal 2d8 base damage.  When looking at other sizes and what happens to them, there are conflicting examples:

Almost every example of a 1d8 becomes 2d6 with a step up in category.
2d6 medium weapons become 3d6 large weapons (different from the 2d6 -> 2d8 step of the sugliin).
2d8 large weapons become 3d8 huge weapons.

So, should a Large Sugliin deal 4d6 or 3d8?

I'm the DM, btw, and just trying to make up my mind.  They both create 24 max damage, so I guess it doesn't REALLY matter...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
14 average or 4d6 does .5 more damage on average and has a higher chance to deal average damage. It really doesn't make a different, just pick one.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
Q 95: The Sugliin (weapon from Frostburn) deals 2d6 damage for a small weapon, and 2d8 damage for a Medium weapon.  How much damage should it do as a Large weapon? (for a goliath)

In the Larger and Smaller weapons table from the SRD, it doesn't have a line for medium weapons that deal 2d8 base damage.  When looking at other sizes and what happens to them, there are conflicting examples:

Almost every example of a 1d8 becomes 2d6 with a step up in category.
2d6 medium weapons become 3d6 large weapons (different from the 2d6 -> 2d8 step of the sugliin).
2d8 large weapons become 3d8 huge weapons.

I'm the DM, btw, and just trying to make up my mind.  They both create 24 max damage, so I guess it doesn't REALLY matter...
it's both about the same; but yes, every example goes 2d8 --> 3d8.
even in the one example of small->medium = 2d6 -> 2d8 (monk 16) goes 2d6 -> 2d8 -> 3d8.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.