Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong  (Read 182008 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 22: Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
A 54 RAW, I'd say no. It's supposed to be when it'd lower you below 0 or more. Meaning that it assumes you have at least 1 HP and will be taking 1+ damage. But as it was said, it'd be up to the DM.

Also, doesn't Crusader's Strike require a standard action to use? You wouldn't be able to use that during an immediate action attack. However, if you were already in the Martial Stance, and didn't move the 5 ft, you could probably gain a benefit from that.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »
A 54 RAW, I'd say no. It's supposed to be when it'd lower you below 0 or more. Meaning that it assumes you have at least 1 HP and will be taking 1+ damage. But as it was said, it'd be up to the DM.
I'd say yes by RAW for that exact reason. RAI, it's probably not (or at least, it most likely wasn't written with Delay Death in mind). However, let's see what happens if you take damage when at negative hit points (assuming the damage doesn't kill you):
Lowers your hit points? Damage lowers your hit points by definition, so undoubtedly.
Are your new hit points below zero? We're presuming that you're already at negative hit points. As we've established, the damage lowers your hit points. positive numbers or zero can't be lower than negative numbers, so the new hit point total has to be a negative number.
Thus, taking damage while below zero hit points lowers your hit points to below zero. I fail to see the problem.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »
I'd say yes by RAW for that exact reason. RAI, it's probably not (or at least, it most likely wasn't written with Delay Death in mind). However, let's see what happens if you take damage when at negative hit points (assuming the damage doesn't kill you):
Lowers your hit points? Damage lowers your hit points by definition, so undoubtedly.
Are your new hit points below zero? We're presuming that you're already at negative hit points. As we've established, the damage lowers your hit points. positive numbers or zero can't be lower than negative numbers, so the new hit point total has to be a negative number.
Thus, taking damage while below zero hit points lowers your hit points to below zero. I fail to see the problem.
........ :surrender You just made my brain hurt trying to understand what you just said.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2011, 06:56:14 PM »
........ :surrender You just made my brain hurt trying to understand what you just said.
You think that's bad? I merely proved a<b<0 => a<0. Try visiting a calculus lecture at your local university once and follow the proof that 1/x is never exactly zero (for x<infinity). :p
The cliff notes version is if your hit points are already "0 or fewer", then taking damage can only "reduce you to 0 or fewer hit points", thus fulfilling the prerequisite for using the maneuver.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:58:46 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
Now you know how first-semester Physics students feel in their first calculus class. :p
The cliff notes version is if your hit points are already "0 or fewer", then taking damage can only "reduce you to 0 or fewer hit points", thus fulfilling the prerequisite for using the maneuver.
Physics. That explains a lot. I felt somewhat like that after my first Calculus class after we learned that 1+1=3.
It's still DM fiat though. If he/she will except that ruling, and not take it as RAI, then you're fine.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »
Q55: Without level adjustment, caster level loss, or (Greater) Anyspell, what methods exist to give a Cleric Pounce?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »
Now you know how first-semester Physics students feel in their first calculus class. :p
Physics. That explains a lot. I felt somewhat like that after my first Calculus class after we learned that 1+1=3.
It's still DM fiat though. If he/she will except that ruling, and not take it as RAI, then you're fine.
Ah, yes. We were shown a similar proof as an example of what happens if you're not careful when proving stuff. The two classic mistakes are dividing by zero and extracting square roots while failing to note that squaring something ignores positive or negative.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
Q55: Without level adjustment, caster level loss, or (Greater) Anyspell, what methods exist to give a Cleric Pounce?
At the very least, Transformation and Animal domains for some spell turning you into a creature with Pounce.  (Shapechange for both, Polymorph for the first).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
UMD a wand or scoll of Lion's Charge.  Martial Scripts of Pouncing Charge, though those get pricey.  (Lion Totem Barbarian + Practiced Spellcaster.  Technically you haven't lost a CL that way. :p)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
Are there any exotic weapon rules for something like the assassin scarfs in from the Black Company book series? ( a length of cloth worn around your waist, with a small weight sewn into one end so it can be swung. When used properly it can lash out like a whip and wrap around the target's neck)

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Q56 I was thinking of doing a druid combination with Planar Shepard and Sacred Fist just for the hell of it.  What would be the quickest way to get into the PrC's so as to get the most out of each?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2011, 11:13:47 PM »

Easiest is that item from ToB that give you maneuvers from the Tiger Claw school.  You may need to combine a Lesser and standard version to meet prerequisites, and it's only once per encounter.

JaronK

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2011, 02:47:03 AM »
Q57
Is there a guide to Incarnum anywhere? I've finally decided to look into the book (even though I acquired it about two or three years ago) and would appreciate a "cheat sheet" while I research.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:53 AM »
Q57
Is there a guide to Incarnum anywhere? I've finally decided to look into the book (even though I acquired it about two or three years ago) and would appreciate a "cheat sheet" while I research.
A 57

You're welcome.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2011, 03:19:14 AM »
Q 58: What's the best/easiest way to get ranged attacks of opportunity with a long bow?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2011, 03:22:58 AM »
Q 58: What's the best/easiest way to get ranged attacks of opportunity with a long bow?
Depends on what you want for range. I can't say it's "the best", but Arrow Mind (1st level spell from SpC) lets you make an AoO with a bow at melee range without provoking an AoO yourself. Other than that, the only one I'm aware of is Ranged Threat. It's a feat that let's you take a single AoO at 15', but it costs you all of your AoO that you'd get from Combat Reflexes. It's in Dragon 350. You need BAB +6, Combat Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, and Precise Shot.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2011, 03:27:46 AM »
Depends on what you want for range. I can't say it's "the best", but Arrow Mind (1st level spell from SpC) lets you make an AoO with a bow at melee range without provoking an AoO yourself. Other than that, the only one I'm aware of is Ranged Threat. It's a feat that let's you take a single AoO at 15', but it costs you all of your AoO that you'd get from Combat Reflexes. It's in Dragon 350. You need BAB +6, Combat Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, and Precise Shot.
Both of those are... useless in the context I need. A mounted archer who hits the spell casters effecting his killer mount.

Q 59: Is there anyway to get more prepared actions?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2011, 03:44:01 AM »
Both of those are... useless in the context I need. A mounted archer who hits the spell casters effecting his killer mount.

That context would have been nice to know ahead of time, but probably still wouldn't have helped.

A belt of battle gives you more actions 1/day, depending on what you need. Having someone with White Raven Tactics will help too. Preferably a Marshal so that you can get additional move actions.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:36 AM »

That context would have been nice to know ahead of time, but probably still wouldn't have helped.

A belt of battle gives you more actions 1/day, depending on what you need. Having someone with White Raven Tactics will help too. Preferably a Marshal so that you can get additional move actions.

This hydra rider needs a way to keep casters from ruining his ride.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »

Q 60: What level are the 2 spells needed for the Dark Chaos Shuffle, and which book are they found in?