Author Topic: A question:  (Read 1106 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
A question:
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
I'm currently working on a homebrew system, and I would like to ask here if this looks balanced.

The chassis will be
-Class system, because I like classes. I just do.
-3d6, a 3 always fails, an 18 always succeeds. It's Roll high, by the way.
-8 ability scores, with how they modify a given roll given by (x-9)/3. Certain classes will have "associated" ability scores, which means they'll be treated as if they were a little higher. 2 maybe?
-Removed Hit Points, instead using something similar to the Injury system from Unearthed Arcana.
-I'll probably go with a skill system similar to Pathfinder's, with several differences.
-Players get "luck dice" from continued play; a single one can be spent to either allow them to reroll a single 3d6 roll as a 4d6-lowest roll, or force an enemy to reroll a 3d6 roll as a 4d6-highest roll. They can trade X number of "luck dice" to level up. I'm currently thinking X could equal (current level*10 +sum of given class modifiers); for example, if a "wizard" has a modifier of +2 from each of his levels, he would need to have 36 to go from 3rd level to 4th, while a "thief" might have a -1, allowing them to reach 4th level with only 27 luck dice; these modifiers will be given out based on a class' relative power.
-Class system limited to 8 levels.

So, does that chassis look interesting at all? I didn't post this in Homebrew because this isn't technically houserules.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

neko128

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: A question:
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »
My biggest concern with this concept is just that 3d6 leads to very strong bell curving.  A d20 (kindof equivalent number range) is a perfectly flat distribution; a 2d10 is a kindof weak bell curve; but 3d6 means you have 25% of your results clustered in 12.5% of your range (10 and 11) - and almost 50% (48.15%, to be exact) of your results in the range 9-12.  You'll get a *lot* of very, very average results, and weirdly, that'll mean it'll act closer to diceless than you may expect - whether a test succeeds or fails will rely much more on the difficulty of the roll (skill vs. difficulty of the check) than on the roll itself.  If that's the flavor you want, then go for it, but it's not one I'd personally like.