Author Topic: E6 What are the best races? Optimal races are different for E6.  (Read 8823 times)

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: E6 What are the best races? Optimal races are different for E6.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
Phaerimm are playable with this. As are Sharn.
Not sure about that; the LA+HD is >6.
La does not matter....
As lobg as HD is <6 then it will be playable....

LA has to be equal to or less than 4, too. Or then you can extrapolate and make negative point buy, but that'd be just a houserule.

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
Goliath.  +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con; Always considered running for jumps; And the Powerful Build means a fairly large portion of your damage since PA caps at 6.

And Pixie is ridiculous at every element.  I guess when True Seeing becomes common it goes down in value, but otherwise, your undetectable and constantly catch your opponent Flat Footed. 

If you can get rid of that LA, Thri-Kreen Ranger 2/Warblade 4 will get you Improved Critical and 4 Attacks with Kukris.  Can I get some Blood in the Water?
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »
If allowed, savage species races like Drider, astral deva, or trumpet archon would all be quite good.

Phoenix00

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
Some of the Dragons are ridiculous powerful under e6

Mercury (DoF) 3HD/2LA tiny - high speed (200' perfect flight!), apply the Shadow template for 300'

Shadow (Dcn) 4HD/3LA tiny - breath weapon: energy drain (negative levels suck in e6)

Phoenix00

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
Hobgoblin Warcaster (MM5)
4 HD+3 LA
Casts as a 4th level Wizard
Str -2, Dex +4, Con +4, Int +6, Wis +0, Cha +2
So put your remaining 10 points into Int and you start at 16 with a racial bonus of 6 for a total of 22 Int.

Arkamoi (MM5)
4 HD+4 LA
Str +0, Dex +4, Con +4, Int +4, Wis +2, Cha +4
Casts as a 4th level Sorcerer
Arkamoi gain bonuses to their spellcasting for each previous arcane spell cast.  These bonuses top off at to a maximum of a +5 bonus to save DCs, a +10 bonus on damage rolls, and a +10 deflection bonus to AC. At the end of that minute, all these bonuses disappear.

Zemyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rampant Changeling Fetishist
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »
Unbodied (4 HD +4 LA)
- Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha
What 6th level monster will be able to hit an incorporeal creature?  You also get 4th level psion (telepath) manifesting.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
Ghaele Eladrin racial class. Take LA+1 point buy(or buyoff) and go to level 7(6 hit dice). Probably split the stuff at level 6(the one with the LA) between levels 5 and 7.

level 1 stats:
50 ft base speed
Darkvision 60 ft/low-light vision
+4 vs poison (actually relevant at low levels)
(no stat adjustments...yet)

The class:
d8 Full BAB All Good Saves
Full Cleric Casting - 7th level casting(4th level spells) from 6 HD...though expect 6th level casting in an actual game.
8+Int skills/hit dice
+4 Str +2 Dex +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha
+2 Natural Armor
SR HD+8

CL6 SLA's
3/day - aid, color spray, comprehend languages, continual flame, cure light wounds, dancing lights, detect evil, detect thoughts, disguise self, see invisibility
1/day - chain lightning, charm monster, dispel magic, greater invisibility, hold monster, major image, wall of force

Protective Aura - continual magic circle vs evil (+4 bonuses instead of +2)

Alternate Form - Incorporeal Globe w/ 150 ft perfect fly speed and two light rays (2d6 damage ranged touch attacks...eat that, Warlock!) as a standard action. Can use SLAs but not spells/physical attacks/gaze.

Gaze - kill evil creature with 1 HD die or non-evil/evil with more than 1 hit die suffer a Fear spell for 2d10 rounds. Cha-based Will save. Radius is 5 ft, but it's a no action ability, so nothing lost. Use against beatsticks and their low will saves.

Abilities are very random, some potent, some not. But consider it a Cleric with a solid Chasis and an "ACF" that trades Turn Undead for a shit-ton of stuff.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
 :) ... on the Ty.

Air Elemental 1 is still nuts good.
You have to play an Air Elemental 6 , is still nuts bad.
I'd bet that the large pile of feats via E6, could compensate.
I mean Fly 100' right from the get go, is good stuff.
Salt and Pepper (feats) to taste ...

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 06:00:55 PM »
doppelganger.
also still have room for a level in factotum and a level of chameleon

:twocents:

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »
I am not sure that's how it works, skydragonknight, and when I say that, I obviously mean that that I am fairly certain that that is not how it works.

First of all, you do not get level adjustment when you take levels in a monster class. You ignore it, as stated in Savage Species. You cannot, therefore, take partial LA buyoff and partially advance in the class.

As noted, too, monster classes are kind of against the idea of E6. You see, in E6, characters can advance to their Racial ECL+6. This, of course, means that a Ghaele should be able to achieve ECL 26, not be capped at 6. That, of course, would be horribly broken and is one reason why it should not, and probably would not, be allowed in an E6 campaign.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 07:35:57 PM »
I am not sure that's how it works, skydragonknight, and when I say that, I obviously mean that that I am fairly certain that that is not how it works.

First of all, you do not get level adjustment when you take levels in a monster class. You ignore it, as stated in Savage Species. You cannot, therefore, take partial LA buyoff and partially advance in the class.

As noted, too, monster classes are kind of against the idea of E6. You see, in E6, characters can advance to their Racial ECL+6. This, of course, means that a Ghaele should be able to achieve ECL 26, not be capped at 6. That, of course, would be horribly broken and is one reason why it should not, and probably would not, be allowed in an E6 campaign.

Ah. I thought the idea was "six hit dice or less" for PCs, so that's where I cut off the progression. I then front-loaded the only LA for that part of the progression in the spirit of being fair, so it wouldn't get PB as if LA+0.

Only browsed the E6 rules once, so can't claim to know much beyond the basic concept so I apologize if I missed something.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
Kobold, Dragonwrought and a sorcerer. Aren't they the best at everything?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »

Even if you play it fair and only get 6 levels of the Ghaele Eladrin class, you're still geting 5th level cleric casting, several powerfull high level spells that you couldn't get otherwise, even if just 1/day (improved invisibility, Hold monster, Major image, wall of force) on top of several minor but still usefull SLAs, stat bonus, 8+int skill points per level, SR and some other goodies. Yes, you get wall of force, major image, imp. invisibility and Hold monster all 1/day just for having 6 levels on the Ghaele Eladrin class.

In E6 the lost cleric casting level isn't that bad, because you still get acess to 3rd level spells.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
LOL, this went in a different racial direction than I had intended. 

How about this?  What are the NO LA races that benefit most from an E6 environment?   For now let's disregard Templates as well.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04:19 PM »
Elan, perhaps? The immediate action damage reduction/save bonus isn't half-bad at lower levels.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Dragonborn get limited flight at 6 HD.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
Lesser D'hin'ni have great SLAs.  They get prestidigitation at will.  They can also cast gust of wind, whispering wind, or wind wall once a day.  Plus all the halfling goodies, of course.

With magic in the blood, they've got decent firepower from their slas, and +2 dex, -2 wis,+2 cha makes them good for party face rogues or sorcs.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 03:44:55 PM »
Elan, perhaps? The immediate action damage reduction/save bonus isn't half-bad at lower levels.

Just add Psionic Body and as many Psionic Talent you can take, take levels in a Psionic Class and go to town.
Resilient is to say the least.

Also, I'm a constant supporter of Goliaths in E6 due to Dungeon Crasher Fighter, the Power Attack - Imp. Sunder & Bullrush - Shocktrooper & Combat Brute - Knockback - Weapon Focus () - Cleave - Three Mountains - Leap Attack - feat set-up and their Powerful Build along with standing Jumps.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.