Author Topic: Lovecraftian campaign set in colonial america  (Read 15605 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Lovecraftian campaign set in colonial america
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
Forgot about them; most of them deserted, so you would have some areas where German was quite common...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
By 1800, Pennsylvania was about 25% German something.
And the concern of the time was that  "They" would take over.
Hessians and Prussians and Silesians ... Oh My.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Okay I'm leaning towards d20 Modern with some possible modifications.  Maybe add some occupations.  I'll need to come up with some mental health rules a little better than cthulhu d20, and then there's magic...

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
I'm guessing there'd be very few in-combat spells--they're mostly reserved for out-of-combat sanity draining rituals.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 03:25:19 AM »
Can I request magic be more subtle, in the style of spells like Synchronicity?

Because that spell, at least, could be reflavored to favor the whole "I'm fucking up reality for personal convenience" angle.

Does anyone know of any rules for the d20 system for magic directly screwing reality? Because I don't think magic should be at all safe, because of it's presumed source.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:24 AM »
How unsafe are we talking here? Sanity-draining unsafe, go-see-a-doctor unsafe, and-then-John-was-a-zombie unsafe?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 04:25:21 AM »
Alerts every monster in a 1 mile radius to a vague idea of your location unsafe?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 04:57:12 AM »
And-then-John-was-a-zombie unsafe. Or even using-the-Net-Libram-of-Random-Magical-Effects unsafe for higher levels of magic.

Because nothing says "I hate you" better than magical failure forcing you to roll on a 1d10000 table, which includes some really weird stuff.

Not to say we should use it, just that the consequences should be that dire.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:08 AM »
well you guys will be starting at level one we you have time to figure out spells.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 04:16:09 AM »
Okay if we do the d20 modern thing hows this for mental stress rules:

Any time you fail a Willpower Save against a Fear effect you gain 1 point of 'stress' for lack of a better word.  When your stress equals your Wisdom score, you temporarily acquire some form of insanity.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »
Will there be more potent threats that cause more than one point of stress?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »
Yes but you won't see much of that immediately (not in combat anyway).  You'll be a little low level for that.  Stress points will go up based on how powerful the critter is.  For example is you see one of the Old Ones in the distance that's gonna be upsetting even if it doesn't know you are there.  We'd just have to work up a stress scale.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »
Shall I move this to the PbP section now?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »
I'd say probably. I won't be able to commit to being available until near the end of Feb right now though. If characters won't be done until then or if you're ok with me being inconsistent then I'll be fine, if not I'll just sit it out.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
Go for it. I've got my foot in the door already. :p

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
As do I.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
I'd say probably. I won't be able to commit to being available until near the end of Feb right now though. If characters won't be done until then or if you're ok with me being inconsistent then I'll be fine, if not I'll just sit it out.

We'll need to work a few things out so you has time.

Reserve your spot here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10892.0
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:29:07 PM by bhu »

beardman

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
I just had lengthy reply typed up detailing the historical and geographical context.  This post will have to suffice as a tag for when I get home to my desktop.

EDIT:  First of all, I'd like to apologize for reanimating this thread but since I did I may as well add some content.  I also like the Deadlands system.  It has a horror and sanity mechanic built in as well as rules for divine, arcane and spiritual magic. 

Here are a few things I've thought of that may need to be taken into account.  This is taken off the top of my head mostly so be sure to double check anything you find suspect.

-Slavery:  The post revolution and pre-cotton gin slave based economy was not particularly fruitful.  While it was certainly sustainable, importation of African slaves had slowed to a trickle.  With the cutting off of exportation of crops it's reasonable to assume that slavery would become unfeasible based on economic grounds although this wouldn't immediately end the institution.  Furthermore, fighting in the revolution had resulted in many slaves being granted freedom.  Many went north while some remained in the south and farmed or practiced a trade.  A few even came to be slave owners themselves. 

-Debt:  The US was under a crippling debt following the revolution.  The federal government owed France a great deal of money while the states owed an even greater sum to private citizens and businesses.  This created a lack of trust in the government as well as a movement from within the government to default on the debt to prevent speculators from profiting.  This could be used as a plot device to reflect how little the populace expects from the government.  "You expect them to protect us from that thing?  They only gave me a promissory note for my horses a few years ago and haven't actually paid yet."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:32:35 AM by beardman »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2011, 04:04:13 AM »
Thanks man, sorry I missed your post I've been distracted.  

Oh and for anyone reading we still only have 4 players so 1 or 2 more are okay.

Since we'd be cut off from France though, that debt is null until it can be re-established.  I wonder how that would be handled in rl?