Author Topic: Swift Hunter Cohort help- with RP restrictions  (Read 2738 times)

MalcolmSprye

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Swift Hunter Cohort help- with RP restrictions
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
So, I'm in a low/mid optimization game right now.  I'm level 11 at the moment, playing a Bard/ Troubadour of stars, with some home brew fixes my GM came up with to make Troubadour not suck (i.e. full spell progression, and bardic music as immediate actions instead of celestial spells).  We also have a Champion of Gwynhwary(fear monger), a wizard/sea witch, and a monk(decisive strike variant, tripper).
 I have leadership, and I picked one of the NPC's that my character had grown close to in game as my cohort.  He's currently a ranger 9.  Up until now, the GM has been handling his leveling/spell selection, but I've decided to take a more active interest in his progress.  So, I spoke with my GM to find out what sorts of things he had planned to do with him, so I'd have some idea what I could work with.  Skald(the ranger), has been acting as our scout mostly(he has Spiritual companion instead of animal companion, for a bonus to spot, etc), though his ranged support has been useful.  The GM had planned for his next level to be a dip into Scout, with his next feat being Swift Hunter.  I like the idea, but he has multi shot + imp. multi shot, so I'm looking for ways to allow him to full attack while skirmishing.
Here's the rub: it has to fit into the campaign flow.  Scout is no problem, since that's what he's been doing.  But all the ways I've found to (repeatedly) move 10+ feet as a swift action have some issues.  In particular, the recommended way, Travel Devotion, requires a dip in Cloistered Cleric to be effective.  There's really no way to justify that, while we're charging around the Isle of Dread hunting demons and dinosaurs.  The closest I've found to an acceptable solution is a dip into warblade or crusader to pick up the level 5 White Raven stance that allows 2 5 foot steps a round.  But even that isn't totally cool with my GM, since warblades are described as reckless, and taking joy in battle.  Skald is level headed and skilled, but not one to take joy in killing. Crusader, on the other hand is a bit too... zealous?  He's good aligned (CG), but his loyalties are personal, and he doesn't particularly champion a particular cause.
So, are there any other ways that I can get him full attack with skirmish a reasonable number of times per day?  If not, I'll try to spin warblade or crusader...

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Swift Hunter Cohort help- with RP restrictions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
Do you mean he has Manyshot and Greater Manyshot?  Because if so, you don't need him full attacking, you just need to crank his accuracy up enough that he doesn't miss.  The whole point of Greater Manyshot is that precision damage (such as that from Skirmish) applies to each arrow fired.  Move as a move action, greater manyshot as a standard action, damage.  You're a bard, you can buff his attack roll, right?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
Do you mean he has Manyshot and Greater Manyshot?  Because if so, you don't need him full attacking, you just need to crank his accuracy up enough that he doesn't miss.  The whole point of Greater Manyshot is that precision damage (such as that from Skirmish) applies to each arrow fired.  Move as a move action, greater manyshot as a standard action, damage.  You're a bard, you can buff his attack roll, right?
Sorry, I'm at work... I meant he has RAPID shot and imp Rapid.

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
Item wise there is the Chronocharm of the
Horizon Walker and Quicksilver boots will give you moves as swift actions 3/day 2 for boots 1 for charm

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
Have him retrain Rapid Shot and Improved Rapid Shot to Manyshot and Greater Manyshot...
BG's other resident furry!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
Have him retrain Rapid Shot and Improved Rapid Shot to Manyshot and Greater Manyshot...

Rapid Shot is a prerequisite of Manyshot.  I'm wondering how the ranger wound up with Rapid Shot but not Manyshot.  Maybe he DCFSed Manyshot to Imp Rapid Shot?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Eardatch

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »
Must have manyshot, it's a pre-req for improved rapidshot.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
Oh right, I keep forgetting that...

sorry... I guess the order needs to be...

Point Blank Shot
Rapid Shot
Manyshot
Greater Manyshot

You might even want Precise Shot...

GOD Archery has sooo many feat taxes to be competent at doing your basic combat style, ugh!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:18:24 PM by Gavinfoxx »

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, he has:
Point blank shot
Precise shot
Rapid Shot(class feature)
Manyshot(class feature)
Improved(greater?) rapid shot

For his future feats, I had been thinking of Swift Hunter and Improved precise shot, since skirmish is precision damage.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, he has:
Point blank shot
Precise shot
Rapid Shot(class feature)
Manyshot(class feature)
Improved(greater?) rapid shot

For his future feats, I had been thinking of Swift Hunter and Improved precise shot, since skirmish is precision damage.

You have read this, right?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0

Just get as close to what they mention as being good, and you'll be fine... Remember retraining!

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 05:13:46 AM »
Yes, I read that, and while Improved multishot is nice, it is obviously nicer to be able to full attack; 50% nicer, assuming no misses.  Hence, my looking for ways to fit swift action moves into his character.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Yes, I read that, and while Improved multishot is nice, it is obviously nicer to be able to full attack; 50% nicer, assuming no misses.  Hence, my looking for ways to fit swift action moves into his character.
Well, if you want to move and shoot without shenanigans, get a mount or use Greater Manyshot. Yes, its less than a full attack.
Its also all you really need.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

stranglebat

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:01:34 AM »
or net the items for him i mentioned earlier which will give him 3 a day full attacks then manyshot the rest of the time :)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
There is the training dummy of the master that allows 10-foot steps all day.  However, it's 3.0
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »
There is the training dummy of the master that allows 10-foot steps all day.  However, it's 3.0

And it needs a monk dip, or having an extremely reliable way to constantly  make DC 21 UMD checks to fake being a monk

MalcolmSprye

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
While I was checking out quicksilver boots in the MIC, I noticed skirmisher boots.
Quicksilver: 2/day move 1/2 your move speed as swift.
Skirmisher: +2 damage on all skirmish attacks. 2/day gain an extra attack as a swift action, if you've moved 10+ feet.
So it looks like skirmisher wins out?

Chronocharm looks good though.