Author Topic: Trying to use history to base a villain for a campaign off of ideas wanted  (Read 9989 times)

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George

weenog

• Grape ape
There's always Carl Panzram, if naught else than for having some of the most badass last words ever.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The Russian Czars had a few that were pretty nasty.

More modern could include the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc...

I would say your best bet is to look at what several of these people had in common. All of those listed so far were rulers, it may sound a little basic but if you aren't in a position of power no matter how nasty you are you still can't impact that many people. Most were very charismatic and excellent speakers. Most had a firm understanding of human psychology, this tied with their lack of empathy toward other people leads to a very dangerous and manipulative person. The list goes on and on, just find the links and use that as a framework to build your psychopath.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Aristocrat, every single one.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Take a look at the Assyrians. 

"I built a pillar against his city gate and I flayed all the chiefs who had revolted, and I covered the pillar with their skin. Some I walled up within the pillar, some I impaled upon the stakes, and others I bound to stakes round about the pillar . . . And I cut off the limbs of the officers, the royal officers who had rebelled . . . "
"Many captives from among them I burned with fire, and many I took as living captives. From some I cut off their noses, their ears and their fingers, of many I put out their eyes. I made one pillar of the living and another of heads, and I bound their heads to tree trunks round about the city. Their young men and maidens I burned in the fire."
"Twenty men I captured alive and I immured them in the wall of his palace . . . "
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
depends on the flavor of villain you're looking for (in addition to those already mentioned):

crazy cult leader -- good ol' Uncle Charlie.  there's even plenty of video to study to really capture his personality.

crime boss who's pulling the political strings behind the scenes -- Al Capone?

oppressive dictator -- Chairman Mao.

manipulative adviser --  Rasputin

rampant terrorizing from the shadows -- Jack the Ripper

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
crazy cult leader -- good ol' Uncle Charlie.  there's even plenty of video to study to really capture his personality.

This
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:04:52 PM by Pimpforged »

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
Saved this quote from a Den thread arguing about evil PCs:

Sorry Lago, but Hell yes do I want to play a character that is evil with a capital E.

Achilles fits the "Complete Monster" trope pretty fucking well - he turned down a successful, happy life with his wife and family in order to go to war and eat people. He once murdered an amazon warrior, and while he grieved over losing such a beauty, somebody made fun of him for this, so Achilles punched him in the face so hard that he died. He came close to committing genocide multiple times, and promised to make somebody's afterlife a living hell for thinking that they'd killed him, before desecrating his corpse when he went for a victory chariot ride. He sabotages a war effort because his favourite rape victim got taken away from him for a bit. He even rapes a young couple to death, and is still regarded as a legendary hero.

And he's also a great character, adventures just fine alongside other characters in a party and is so popular that he gets actual, real life temples built to him, all the way up to being the central theme for a palace built in 1890. He is a fucking amazing mythical character who is only slightly less popular than motherfucking Hercules, and if I said I wanted to play a character based on Achilles then it would be a shitty dm and a shitty party that would be unable to deal with one of the most serious and legendary heroes in the history of human achievment.

The Illiad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, The Ulster Cycle, The Arthurian Legends, the legends of Uruk and Japanese mythology and blah blah blah all feature similar characters - they're more evil than half the shit in the book of vile darkness, and yet they are capable of adventuring and so on just fine. Even in the dnd videogames, characters like Edwin and Korgan and even motherfucking Sarevok can adventure alongside Aerie and Imoen and Keldorn and Mazzy and still not have major, party ruining conflicts. People can be actually evil(Korgan and Sarevok sure were) and still adventure just fine. To say that they can't is to say that pretty much every mythological cycle and dnd videogame NEVER HAPPENED.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
I am APPALLED that Rasputin hasn't even gotten passing mention in this.  :mad WTF, people? :shakefist
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

BrokeAndDrive

I am APPALLED that Rasputin hasn't even gotten passing mention in this.  :mad WTF, people? :shakefist
Somewhat related: GIS'ing for Rasputin with the safety off, the second image is a woman staring very interestedly at a giant penis in a jar.

True story.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Ah yes, the classic "Rasputin's dick was THIS big" part of the museum...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

BrokeAndDrive

THAT'S 'Putin's peter?? Did he have the half-horse template? :o
~

==

~

~

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
According to myriad reports, it may or may not be the real thing.

At least one time it was a desiccated sea cucumber.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.

Yeah, lots of people seem to have a fascination with the penises of historic figures. I think someone once stole Napoleon's.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder

Yeah, lots of people seem to have a fascination with the penises of historic figures. I think someone once stole Napoleon's.

Arguably, it was freakishly small...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

BrokeAndDrive

That WOULD encourage one to act like a total hardass to make up for it.
~

==

~

~

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Yeah, and the poor guy didn't have much going for him to begin with. He was already short and French.

Although, oddly, one of the best writers of my province (arguably one of the best in Brazillian history) had a micro-penis. Yet he was somewhat well-known as a bohemian - the story about his pecker didn't get out until years after his death, when his urologist decided to be an asshole about it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Yeah, and the poor guy didn't have much going for him to begin with. He was already short and French.

Although, oddly, one of the best writers of my province (arguably one of the best in Brazillian history) had a micro-penis. Yet he was somewhat well-known as a bohemian - the story about his pecker didn't get out until years after his death, when his urologist decided to be an asshole about it.
He wasn't that short. He would have been about 5 feet, 6.5 inches in modern measurements, according to the first source I found, which is below most modern averages, but not by much. Plus, he was largely what made France awesome back then. :p

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder

He wasn't that short. He would have been about 5 feet, 6.5 inches in modern measurements, according to the first source I found, which is below most modern averages, but not by much. Plus, he was largely what made France awesome back then. :p

Or pretty much the only thing that made France awesome back then.

I guess he was shorter than the average Frenchman, then?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]