Author Topic: Your new Boss  (Read 9022 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Your new Boss
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »
Each of you were tracked down and hand delivered a letter and a pouch by a messenger. The seal on the letter is one of of dwarven make. In the pouch you hear the clink of some coin.
[spoiler]The seal:
[/spoiler]
Dear Sir
I have heard of your talents and abilities. Your skills and actions have garnered you enough fame to earn my notice. I have interest in hiring you for a job that someone such as yourself may find intriguing. Please join me at my home on the 3rd of Rumbling. The coin provided should be sufficient to accommodate your travel needs.

Trian Aeducan

On opening the pouch there is more than enough coin for you to hire passage or rent an animal to get from where you are to the location of his home listed on the letter.

You may roll a Kn(Nobility) to get information about the seal and Kn(History) to know about the man upon reading his name if you so choose.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:51:31 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Your new Boss
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
Tosc looks up from among the books strewn about him as a young man enters the small library announcing that he has a message to deliver to 'the Pilgrim'.  

Raising his hand he says, I am Tosc, called the Pilgrim by some.  Bring forth this missive.

Reading it's contents he finds himself intrigued.  Nearly finished with his studies here it was time to move on anyways.  Perhaps more could be learned along the way to see this Trian Aeducan.

know (history) (1d20+3=7)

Though vaguely familiar the heraldry of on the message would not come to his recollection.  Silently he cursed the knowledge he had lost but whispered thanks to the gods for preserving as much of his person as they had.  

Over time, bits and pieces of his memory had emerged, usually after coming upon the information in old texts from his time.  

After a the long pause as he mulled those thoughts he gave thanks to the messenger and gave him thanks and a few coppers for his work.  

Surely Acros would be along before long.  They had made arrangements to meet after Tosc had taken time to study the histories found in this small community's library.

Standing Tosc signals the archivist that he is done with the texts and heads out the door gathering his coat.  He would go and await Acros as he mulled over what he had gleaned.

[spoiler]I have assumed myself and Acros are traveling together at least to some degree.  If this turns out to not be the case due to Innabinders character needs/preferences I will modify those aspects accordingly.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:22:40 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:08:49 AM »
Danny's rolls
[spoiler]
Nobility+Royalty and History
1d20+7=19, 1d20+4=19
[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
Glancing up at the courier Nevin looks away from his book he nods to him and gives him a few silvers from his pouch.  after reading over the letter he gathers his things up and closes his book. and nods the the courier "Thank you. No return is needed.

[ooc]
[spoiler]since no general knowledge or knowledge arcana is an option i guess no further info for me.[/spoiler]

after a short while Nevin goes and buys a horse and bridal and begins to make his journey to the meeting.  taking any time he can to glance over another page in the book he was reading before hand

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »
For Danny:
[spoiler]The Kn(nobility) roll is enough for you to recognize it as an authentic insignia of the Aeducan family. They were a noble Dwarven family who were kings of a Dwarven city-state up until it was wiped out by the great eruption, most believe they were all within the city when it happened.

Kn(Hist) lets you recall that this guys name is that of one of the grandson's sitting king at the time of the eruption. This name has also popped up repeatedly throughout the time since as a master stone mason and builder of castles.[/spoiler]
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
Calmly reading the letter presented to him, Danny pondered its meaning, his brow furrowing. "But they were all..." Well, apparently, they weren't. "No reason to miss something this big." And it'd kill some time, at least.

Once Danny finished reading, he looked up and smiled. He handed a few coins from the pouch he was given to the messenger. "Thank you for your delivery. If you are to report back at once, tell your master that I will be there at the stated time. Fare well."

It would take a day to prepare, so there was still a bit of time left. Better enjoy this city (and its maidens). With a slight smirk, he set up his gear for the day's performance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:30:52 AM by Epimetheus »

Mandoor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 02:25:03 AM »
The messenger found Tivus telling a hunting story in the Inn.

... that impossible shoot dropped the old boar in mid-charge.

The messenger walks up to Tivus and hands him the message.  Tivus takes the message.  Looks at the seal on the message and shakes the pouch then smiles.  Thank you my dear friend. Here have a drink on me. This message looks very important judging by the seal. Tivus buys a drink for the messenger and gives him a some coin. The ching of coins always gets Trivus's attention.

Kn (History) roll: (1d20+1=18)

Tivus then opens the message and reads it.  Tell your master, I will be delighted to meet him. Tivus then gives the man some coin for his trouble.

Tivus thinks to himself I love a boss who pays the travel cost up front. This is worth further investigation.

[spoiler]Tivus's alignment is Chaotic Greedy "CG" but that Good always gets in the way.[/spoiler]

Tivus buys a horse on the proper day to travel to meet this new boss at his house on the 3rd of Rumbling.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:38:48 AM by Mandoor »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »
The messenger found Carl in the seedy dockside bar where he worked as a bouncer when he wasn't pursuing employment chasing spellcasters of any sort. The lower city areas often had grudges they wanted settled.

After reading the missive he nodded acceptance to the messenger, retrieved his few belongings from the closet that was his as part of his employment, and headed out of the city, becoming a silvery-white wolf once he passed the outlying farmsteads. It will take all night, but I should be there by dawn if I push it, he thought to himself as he set out at a dead run for the long trip to the Aeducan residence.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
Director took the message that had been addressed to him. The mercenary band was located nearby the home in either case, but all of his best were out in the field. The Sergeant peered over Director's shoulder, a curious but skeptical look on his face. After reading it three times, Director placed it back in the envelope, and turned to the messenger. "Thank you, no further messages."

He turned around to face the Sergeant, who stood at attention. "Unfortunately, all the 1st Class are out on duty, and most of the 2nd Class are on the caravan mission....."

The Sergeant understood, and nodded. "It still seems like an interesting opportunity sir. Should I try calling back to camp Sephir-"

"No no," Director interrupted. "I actually would like a chance to see how one of the up-and-coming might fare. I think it's about time we tested for promotions. Why not send out..... the spellfire boy. He hasn't been tested since his...... recovery, has he?"

"No sir, he hasn't been permitted to leave the keep in the last few years."

"Then this seems like a fine time. Fetch him.... Fino, that's it. Sergeant, order Fino Ishim, SOLDIER/GHOST 3rd Class, to undertake Current-Year Mission no. 86, in response to the letter of Trian Aeducan. Bath him, arm him, and release him."

"It shall be done, sir. SOLDIER Fino Ishim! RECEIVE AT ATTENTION!"

With that, a young man stopped dueling with a peer, and immediately shot over to the Sergeant, helmet still on. The Sergeant slapped it off of the youth somewhat heavy-handedly. The youth didn't flinch at all, though the helmet was knocked off, revealing his brown, stiff curls, and his oddly glowing misty eyes. He was ready; it was time.

Less than half an hour later, he was in a carriage with Director, flashing off to the determined location with his briefing.

[spoiler]
Knowledge (History): 4
Knowledge (Nobility): 3

Fino doesn't know shit about this guy, so probably best he just be sent as an order.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:54:15 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »
As each of you approach the location given you see a well crafted manor atop what appears to be a step pyramid the size of a large hill. There is a staircase ascending the side all the way up to the stone walls. The gate is a strange black metal.

You are greeted by a human man outside the gate as you approach.
May I see your invitation, please? On examining your documents, and holding a gem to his eye at one point.
Enter. One of the servants will meet you at the door and show you to a room where you may freshen up before the boss speaks with you.
You are each brought to a small, but comfortable room. You are told you may leave your equipment here it will be safe. You are then lead to a dining hall in which there is a flute player playing.

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
Seeming to step out of the shadows a man of no inconsiderable height presented his invitation, completely crinkled as if haveing spent a long time in his pocket, to the door man. He did not speak at all to anyone who addressed him in fact he often stopes and started mumbling to himself often causing mini-collisions with the men who followed him. Besides his height his most disconcerting aspect was his visige with his black eyes that seemed to see a completely different scene then the one before him.  His mouth, seen periodically as he stopped to smile at a funny memory or inside joke, that was pure jet black.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Mandoor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »
Tivus,

Is a talkative wood elf, he will talk turkey with anybody until someone pays him to do a job.  He follows along admiring the rooms asking questions about one art peace to the next.

Cool, dinning hall every dining hall should have wine and I beat this one has the best. Everyone in a dinning room this size should have a glass of wine. Hinting about getting wine offered to him.

If someone does something magical Tivus instantly goes quiet like a cat seeing a bird flying through a window.  He then scans them to see if they have any arcan power with his Nemesis ability then makes a mental note for future jobs.  :D

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:49 PM »
It was quite evident that by 'talents and abilities', Aeducan was not referring to performances alone. Well, there went a cushy life of being minstrel to a nobleman. The flute player wasn't terrible, but his harp's lighter notes would sound much better.

Technically, Aeducan might not be recognized as a noble, but it seems he did have the funding... After all, he seemed to need quite a few people for whatever task he had in mind. Warriors even... Danny felt a bit out of sorts. "What is this? Some sort of mercenary troupe?"

OOC: Note that what Danny thinks is kept in italics. Always.

[spoiler]I'm just practicing with all these knowledge checks. It's the first time I've had a character with the ability to use all skills, even untrained. These checks can probably be ignored.[/spoiler]

The main thing that stuck out was that they were all men and that some were far too tall to be allowed. How dull... Some did seems stranger than others though. For all he knew, there might be nothing inside the man encased completely in armor.
Knowledge (whatever is relevant for warforged): 1d20+4=13

Danny felt a chill of death around two of them, who were talking quietly to each other.
Knowledge (religion): 1d20+4=17

Another was a rather chatty wood elf... going on about the wine and art of the place. It was slightly disconcerting, to say the least. Weren't wood elves very... isolationistic and territorial? You'd think they'd be antisocial or something, or so he'd assumed. Was he wrong?
Knowledge (nature): 1d20+4=7

Well, never mind that. Observing the manor, he marvelled at the solid architecture and artistic design, wondering approximately how long it would take to build such a building...-
Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 1d20+4=18

until he was bumped into by one of the men, a rather odd fellow with strangely dark eyes.

"Pardon me for being in your way...," Danny says pleasantly, without a hint of annoyance. He grins broadly at the man in front of him. "I am Daniel Ravenshine. Pleased to meet you. What is your name, good sir?"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:30:49 PM by Epimetheus »

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »
Tosc steps up to the doorman, his shoulder length white hair blowing slightly in the breeze brushing upon the shoulders of his blackened archaically styled  leather armor.

Utilizing customs contemporary to his own time with a slight bow and salute of hand Tosc presents his invitation. I have traveled far at the invitation of your master and now accept the guest rights and hospitality of his House.

Remembering more than a few occasions where he has found traditions of hospitality forgotten he adds, If such is not extended as part of the invitation please let me know.

Pulling a small bag from his person he presents it as well, Your masters funds for my travel were more than adequate to see me this far.  Please see that this excess is returned to him.

After dropping of his travel gear Tosc follows to the dining hall.  He looks about to take stock of who else in is the room (if anyone) as he quietly enjoys the music.  

Well from the amount of talking it seems that the elves were very sociable characters.  Hearing the 1/2 elf ask about being a mercenary momentarily distracted him from his conversation with Acros.  Figuring he was speaking to the others or that one of them would answer he turned back to the quiet conversation with his friend about the things he had learned in his recent research.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:54:17 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
OOC: Whenever I use italics, I mean for it to be something my character thinks to himself, not something he is saying aloud.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »
After removing his greatsword from his hip and leaving it with the others things Nevin follows the group to the den.  casualy reading passages and turning pages in the tome he pulled from his pack. 

[ooc]
[spoiler]wearing the chain shirt Frodo style as my group likes to say.  under his clothes[/spoiler]

after a while of conversation goin on around him Niven startles a touch as he looks up.  "ohh.. sorry Im Nevin Reswald.  I am guessing we arent here for just a dinner party.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 12:26:59 AM »
Standing off to the side, and keeping to himself, Carl keeps his attention turned to the other individuals entering the room. Whatever comes of this, this "Lord" Aeducan certainly must have an expansive network of informants to keep eyes and ears on as group as motley as we are turning out to be, Carl thought to himself. All that was left to do was wait to learn why they were all here. Fortunately, waiting was an activity he had been created to be good at doing. There were some benefits being a golem burdened with a soul hadn't stripped from his construct nature.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 12:53:26 AM »
Arcos shrugs off the brown leather hood he had covering his unruly black hair as he steps in and addresses Tosc.

Do you feel we have everything we need to begin, Tosc? Others may be happy to wait but, despite my...unusual metabolism... patience is not my prime virtue.

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
The carriage pulled to a stop, and for some reason, Fino's heart was not racing. He wasn't excited, he wasn't anxious. It was like going back to work after a short break, despite how this would be his first solo mission, and first mission as a GHOST. 3rd Class never got solos, but he still felt unimpressive.

As he exited the carriage, the director leaned out and tore the helmet off him. "If you are to represent SOLDIER, keep that damned thing off, could you? I know it's uniform.... but I always found it distasteful myself." Fino turned in surprise to Director, who smiled an odd smile. It was as if Director was being friendly instead of just a boss. Then, Fino heard him whisper, "Do your best, kiddo..." Shortly after, the carriage sped off, and Fino moved each step, one at a time, slowly and assuredly.

The doorman was an interesting case; he was asked his name and scanned, but the crystal seemed to respond in a way that the doorman considered a rejection. Fino interrupted the man's polite request for him to leave by handing him the note. "Fino Ishim, 3rd Class SOLDIER, Representative of SOLDIER Director Mst. Shinra."
[spoiler]SOLDIER  is a well-to-do, mercenary-based military organization, as far as I've thought it through. Since no one place seems particularly militant, one could assume they're nomadic, and in another post I alluded to them having a keep, which if they happened to be somewhere nearby could mean it's more of a Howl's Moving Castle kind of keep, though not sure if that magic would exist...[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:07:05 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
You have your wits about you I suppose, he says with a slight smile to his companion.  Given our invitation to this place I expect that will be the asset most in demand.   As we had discussed on the road I do not have great concerns to our safety in this house.

On the long journey they had discussed what may be the purpose for the invitations.  Along with a great deal of speculation Tosc generally concluded that Trian Aeducan must simply need something from them and was not intending harm.  Well, unless he was planning to use them in some horrific way as my master once used me, Tosc had thought.  But that thought he did not voice to his young companion.

Besides, enjoy the beauty of the music.  Consider what such a simple thing would have meant to me three years ago when we met if that will help you abide while we wait upon our host.  I doubt he will keep us waiting long.

Seeing Fino being shown the room Tosc comments, Seems we have another guest and this one has quite the military bearing.

[spoiler]OOC: Innabinder, I'm running with the idea that we met about 3 years ago (you found me) and that we have been traveling together since (or at least often) unless that doesn't work for you.  Would give more backing to your looking to me for direction in some matters if you were 15 when we met.  [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:41:12 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc