Author Topic: Be a guest star in my game (sort of)  (Read 4934 times)

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
Be a guest star in my game (sort of)
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
MY PLAYERS: don't read this thread. I'll know if you do, and what happened to Lydia will seem like a pleasant experience compared to the fate that you will incur. Just so that ignorance is no excuse, this applies to ARGYLLE, RITTER, ARU, GOODWICK, and IXCHO.

[spoiler]The party recently pissed off a wizard who wants to have a little chat with them, so he's sending out an associate of his to arrange a meeting. The wizard is a 7th level Necromancer, doesn't have much of a build, but has been shown to have an unhealthy obsession with necromantic spells, which are ill-suited to persuasion.

What I'd like: the Associate: a 5th level conjuror who can more or less take the party captive without accidentally killing them. Any amount of optimization is allowed, short of TO. Assume gratuitous support from a higher level necromancer with institutional backing.

What you get: The character will be named after your forum handle or the name of your choice, and I'll provide a diary of exactly how your build performs. If you're interested but feel that my proposed compensation is too paltry for your efforts, I could possibly be persuaded to create some art in return (a character portrait or the like), if you're in to that sort of thing.

Why: Well, two reasons. Firstly, I'm a lazy SOB. Secondly, I'm away from my books at the moment and would like to run this encounter first thing when I return from vacation.

Relevent items of note: The setting is a custom Ravenloft, so undead are available as fodder, up to a certain point. Be reasonable about relying on undead, as there isn't much time for requisite paperwork and clearances from the institution backing the necromancer. Simple undead like zombies and skeletons, up to a total of 16HD are ok. Also available is the Necromancer's familiar (an Imp which would very much not like to get physically involved, could UMD a wand or something).

Your opponents: The Necromancer doesn't have a lot of information to go on, but is aware that at least 4/5 of the party (he ran them out of town with the help of the town guards) are able to fly. They appear to be primarily beatsticks with some small ranged abilities and potential blasting from a psionic character (transparency is in effect). There are at least 5 characters, between 4-6 ECL (highest HD is 5), and they may have allies present. Optimization level is roughly 5.5/10, with 10 being a Beholder Mage/Incantantrix.

Feel free to assume a favorable terrain of some kind, but nothing too specfic.[/spoiler]

Thanks in advance for any help.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Be a guest star in my game (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
So I'm thinking an elementals theme for this guy would be appropriate.

Would you allow rashemi elemental summoning and oeirnomancy feats to apply to the summon elemental reserve feat?

The former gives him unlimited elementals with mini cones of cold; the latter makes them attack the party's dreamselves (and thus deal nonlethal damage).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
Point buy?

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
Fuck yes rashemi, oneirnomancy no, if only because they would completely shit themselves if I beat them up in their dreams and made it affect their waking selves.

For stats we use 4d6 drop the lowest, re-roll ones...so, from hamete: ... Oh shit, 13, 14, 14, 15, 17, 18... Haa ha, they're gonna be pissed.

Edit: actually, lemme think about the dream stuff, I've been thinking about leaning more towards the horror/Freddy Krueger kind of game. Call it a backup, or possible foreshadowing kind of thing. Don't worry about spending feats on it, though. If I include it, it will more than likely be item based. Or skill. Or something.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:13:58 PM by BruceLeeroy »

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:46:08 PM »
Rashemi elemental summoning requires caster level 5 to take, need to wait till level 6.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
Hrrm. Well, all the players have some form of free LA, so if that's integral to your build, TML, go ahead and use RES as the wiz5 bonus feat, I'm fine with that.

If it's not obvious, I'm trying to take down the whole group with (more or less) a single character of their level. Mooks are just to balance the action economy and obfuscate the real threat, these characters eat undead for breakfast.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »
Idea so far:
Fight indoors so they cant fly, corridor is perfect.

Nerveskitter > Sleet Storm > Summon Swarm (Bats) > The End.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:56:51 AM »
Oneiromancy lets you decide that your spells deal nonlethal damage to anything that dreams ... but on double checking,  it only works on spells thatdon't have target:area.  Doesn't require you to be in a dreamscape to use.

Still, firing off some nonlethal orb spells in conjunction with elementals shooting cones everywhere should be just as effective for nonfatal incapacitiation.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:06:11 AM »
Venerable Spellstitched Kobold Necropolitan Dragonblood Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4
Str 4*, Dex 10*, Con --, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 22 (24)
Flaws: Noncombatant, Fussy
Feats: Precocious Apprentice, Practiced Spellcaster [Sorcerer], Lifesense, Necromantic Presence, Draconic Heritage [.Green] (Dragonblood Sorcerer Sub-Level).
Full Skills: Concentration, Move Silently, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Partial Skills: Craft [Trapmaking] and Knowledge [Arcana, History, Planes, Religion].

*If you want to make the case that this guy died first, and then became venerable, and therefore doesn't lose Physical ability scores, then more power to you.  It's not terribly important.

Spells: Wall of Smoke, Cause Fear, Web
Invocations: Earthen Grasp, Spider Walk, Darkness
SLAs**: 3/day- Ray of Enfeeblement, False Life
1/day- Identify, Comprehend Languages, Desecrate, Magic Circle Against Evil, Greater Mage Armor, Dimensional Anchor, Dimension Door, Magic Jar, Wall of Stone, Planar Binding
Wands: Invisibility, Inflict Light Wounds
Misc Gear: Ring of the Diamond Mind [Mind over Body], Cloak of Charisma +2, Ring of Blinking?

**SLAs are mostly infrastructure-type stuff with some defense and/or multi-purpose.  The kind of SLAs a Necromancer wants around to help maintain his evil empire.  That said, he wasn't actually spellstitched by the BBEG.

Harass, harass, harass.  Stay invisibile while harassing the party with Darkness and Earthen Grasp invocations as well as the Magic Jar SLA, taking pot-shots with EB when available and escaping with Invisibility or, in a pinch, Wall of Stone.  If you take damage, heal up between skirmishes with the Inflict Light Wounds wand, throw up a new False Life and repeat.  When the time comes for a showdown, break up the battlefield with 1 or 2 walls of smoke and move about the walls.  Use a couple of Ogre Zombies to make it difficult to target you with ranged attacks and use Ray of Enfeeblement and Earthen Grasp to incapacitate and slowly damage opponents.  Cause Fear will make sure that the party can't screen off the Zombies with 1 or 2 characters without having to make some tough Will saves.

Once the party takes out the Ogres and starts focusing on the LBEG, he uses Dimension Door and abandons the castle.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »
How well does the party deal with incorporeal undead? Level 5 is just enough for an early entry Master of Shrouds to spam out Shadows. If you go by the interpretation that damage increasing effects will increase the Str damage, then go to town. Use some spell or item or ability which applies a Str penalty to take them down to 0 without killing them, making them all helpless.

I think there's a weapon enhancement that allows undead draining abilities to channel through the weapon right? Give the shadows some reach weapons and let them pick at the party (cramped into a tunnel of course) through the walls.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:07:17 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »
When you say "conjuror", do you mean a Wizard specializing in the Conjuration school of magic (i.e., conjurer)?
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
NiteCypher: I did. I am giving the other ideas presented some serious thought, though. The kobold warlock would be completely out of the blue, as they know i don't care for the warlock and have never bothered to play one.

Surreal: I believe they have ghost touch available, so shadows would only represent a minor threat unless I wtfpwned them in ambush.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9731.msg328809#msg328809

InnaBinder's wizard encounter in the above thread represents the style of Mage I was contemplating, however for this scenario, it would need to be 5th level and rather well optimized in order to succeed.

I do like the other ideas mentioned, so please don't feel as if I'm criticizing the ideas laid out thus far.

Integral

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
How easy would it be to get the jump on the party?

Precast Suspended Silence on a few undead mooks using a Lesser MM rod (Extend). If possible, have Invisibility up when you confront the party. Nerveskitter, Improved Initiative and a Hummingbird familiar (maybe a luck feat for a reroll?) to hopefully win a surprise round and initiative, and open with two successive Sculpted Glitterdusts, and activate the Silences. That should leave them in a fairly rough situation, with silence to hinder anyone who isn't blinded from communicating what's going on.

Just a thought!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:00:32 PM by Integral »

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
May i suggest a Lawful Evil Juvenile Steel Dragon Lore Drake.

It has an CR of 5, and if you like i can stat one up for you with feats and such.

The beauty of a Steel Dragon NPC, is that it got massive racial spell casting, and can alter its form to humanoid forms to blend in.

It could even be Lawful Neutral, but be under contract as a trouble shooter, and would have no problem being a "bounty hunter" getting people back in 1 piece.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
I'm not familiar with steel dragons. Is the caster level equal to their HD? Or more specifically, do they get 3rd level spells? If it can cast well enough, it could fit the bill.

Lo77o

• Email
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 07:44:07 PM »
It would cast 4th level spells at least. Juvenile Steel Dragons casts as lvl 7 sorcerers, and a loredrake cast as 2 levels higher. So that would be 9th lvl.

Ill try and stat one up for you.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Lo77o

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 09:34:58 PM »
Juvenile Steel Dragon Loredrake

The following stat block is assuming the dragon is using a human form.
If it is in its normal form (and it never should be) add the following
Breath weapon, +11 natural armor, natural attacks.
And Speed: 60 ft. fly 200 ft (poor), swim 30 feet.

Medium Dragon (Air)
Hit Dice: 13d10+26 (102 hp)
Initiative:+0
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class:10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+16
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Alternate Form, Immunity to Acid, Poison Resistance, Moderate Arcane Shield, Enthrall, SR 22, Darkvision 60, Dragon Traits.
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +10
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 10, Con 14 (15 in natural from), Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 14 (16 with cloak)
Skills: Bluff +19, Disguise +19, Craft (any 1) +19, Profession (any 1) +18, Knowledge (any 3) +11, Concentration +10, Spellcraft +11
Feats: Hidden Strength (Dragons of Eberron 15), Fey Bloodline, Practised Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, Invisible Spell, Storm Bolt (Reserve Feat, Complete Mage 47)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: (Average Value of Treasure for a CR 5 dragon is 4800 gp and 9sp. The gold is used on a Cloak of Charisma +2 and some manacles)
Alignment: Any (Usually Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral)

Breath Weapon (Su): A steel dragon has two breath weapons, a line of acid and a cone of poisonous gas. Every creature within the area of the poison gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution damage per age category of the dragon. It must then succeed on a second save at the same DC 1 minute later or take the  same amount of damage. The dragon can create an area smaller than its maximum, I fit so chooses.

Alternate Form (Su): A steel dragon can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action five times per day. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on itself at its caster level, except that the dragon does not regain hit points for changing form and can only assume the form of an animal or humanoid. The dragon can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Moderate Arcane Shield (Su): A steel dragon gets a +10 bonus on its spell resistance against all arcane spells of 4th level or lower.

Poison Resistance (Ex): Steel dragons have a +10 racial bonus on Fortitude saving throws against poison.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—enthrall

Spells: The steel dragon casts spells as a 9th-level sorcerer. Caster level 13
Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/7/7/4; save DC 13 + spell level):
0 – Electric Jolt, Detect Magic, Launch Item, Caltrops, Prestidigitation, Message, Acid Splash, Light
1st- Detect Secret Doors, Blockade (Complete Scoundrel), Ventriloquism, Obscuring Mist, Healthful Rest, Lesser Vigor
2nd – Glitterdust, Invisibility, Web, Silence, Mirror Image
3rd – Tongues, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, Major Image
4th – Solid Fog, Summon Monster IV, Hallucinatory Terrain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combat: Healthful Rest is cast in the morning.
Trying to make sure the fight takes place somewhere with both pools of acid, and pools of water.
Use Hallucinatory Terrain to conceal what pools are of acid and what are water.

Solid Fog, Stinking Cloud, Sleet Storm and Web are all cast as invisible spells. Use them to cut up the party. And make sure you don't show them an outline of the spells area. Make them guess where to go when inside a solid fog :)

Major Image is there to give you a creative outlet. Be it “summoning” something nasty, or adding features to the dungeon that would make the group go in the direction you want.

Make sure you are invisible, and then start using Summoning to put boots on the ground if needed.

Remember to use Blockade, its a swift action spell that adds an obstacle to the battleground for 3 rounds. Force the players back into one of the clouds.

Using Ventriloquism to lure them into rooms, or use it to disguise your spellcasting by making your voice originate a few hundred feet below the ground.

An invisible obscuring mist is a nice spell to drop on your self, if you notice any of the players casting see invisibility, or true seeing. That way you can still see them, but they can only see all your clouds.

If shit hits the fan, retreat and cast Lesser Vigor. With healthful rest going, it will give you fast healing 2 for 15 rounds. So healing you 30 hp in total (not bad for a lvl 1 spell).

Have your summons grapple, drag or incapacitate one or more players if possible. If you summon something you cant communicate with, cast tongues.

Someone hiding, drop a glitterdust or two. You might even end up blinding someone :)

The trick here is that you dont DONT ever try and go toe to toe in melee combat with the entire group. Hit and Run, and subterfuge is your game. Bonus points if you can start the fight with them divided. Either by bluffing them, or taking advantage of a pre-existing relationship they have with someone they trust. (Use Disguise skill to change your appearance along side alternate form, and remember the extra +10 do disguise. After that make use of bluff)

If you ever need to do damage, you can use your Storm Bolt Reserve feat to make 20 feet lines of lightning that deals 4d6 electricity damage. No Save, No SR. You can do this all day, so long as you dont use all your lvl 4 spells. If you do, and you down to lvl 3 spells, then its 3d6.. and so on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:36:30 PM by Lo77o »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »
NPC wealth?
The build:
[spoiler]
Strongheart Halfling Conjurer 2/Master Specialist 3. Named Uncle Sam, or if you want it female, Mixxie.
Stats: Str 11, Dex 16, Con 17+1=18, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 14.
Hp: 5d4+20 (33)
Barred Schools: Evocation and Enchantment.
Feats: Improved Initiative (Martial wizard bonus feat), Spell Focus (Conjuration), Precocious Apprentice (Halfling Bonus feat), 3 Cloudy Conjuration, Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration) (master specialist bonus feat)
If flaws are allowed, add Sculpt Spell and Metamagic School focus Conjuration
Trade familiar for abrupt jaunt.
Prepared Spells:
Level 3 Spells (3):
Sleet Storm, Dispel Magic, Summon Monster III
Level 2 Spells (5):
Web, Cloud of Bewilderment, Glitterdust, Alter Self, Invisibility.
Level 1 Spells (5)
Nerveskitter, Wall of smoke, Silent Image, Mage Armor Protection from good.
Level 0 Spells (5)
Presitidgation, 2x Acid Splash, Detect Magic
Items (assuming NPC wealth): Wand of True Strike, Wand of Silent Image,Wand of Reduce person, Wand of Benign tranposition, Anticipate Teleportation focus, Masterwork tools concentration, knowledge Local and Arcana, Spellcraft. A few potions of cure minor wounds. 550g leftover (use them all for deodorant so you don't smell so much from running around in those sewers).

Skills: Swift Concentration, Max Spellcraft, Concentration, Knowledge Local, Knowledge Arcana.[/spoiler]

Uncle Sam Small Humanoid
Hit Dice: 5d4+20 (33)
Initiative: +8 (+13 with nerveskitter)
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class:14 (18 with mage armor), touch 14, flat-footed 10 (14 with mage armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-1
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Abrupt Jaunt 5/day
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +7
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills: Concentration +14, Spellcraft +17, Knowledge Local +14, Knowledge Arcana +14, Hide +12, Swift concentration. Skill powers leftover for profession Cajun Chef
Feats: Improved Initiative, Cloudy Conjuration, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Greater Spell focus Conjuration
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Wand of True Strike, Wand of Silent Image,Wand of Reduce person, Wand of Benign tranposition, Anticipate Teleportation focus, Masterwork tools concentration, knowledge Local and Arcana, Spellcraft. 550g leftover (use them all for deodorant so you don't smell so much from running around in those sewers).
Alignment: N
Prepared Spells:
Level 3 Spells (3):
Sleet Storm, Dispel Magic, Summon Monster III
Level 2 Spells (5):
Web, Cloud of Bewilderment, Glitterdust, Alter Self, Invisibility.
Level 1 Spells (5)
Nerveskitter, Wall of smoke, Silent Image, Mage Armor, Protection from good.
Level 0 Spells (5)
Presitidigation, 2x Acid Splash, Detect Magic

Uncle Sams tactic notebook:
Note: If you get the chance to observe the adventurers first, such as at a bar before heading out, use the chance to spot which buffs they have up with Detect Magic and your insanely good spellcraft, in case they have good permanent buffs up, start the combat by dropping your dispel magic on them.
For the love of gods, don't fight the adventurers outdoors. Instead find somewhere indoor, preferably with a few ways to flee, prefereably something that is a long hallway ending in a slightly smaller room. A water way to escape by (such as an open sewer hatch) could be useful. If you must fight the adventurers outside, be sure to make it in an alley where you can use your web to distract them, have several pathways meant for diminutive creatures (such as sewer drains), nearby, they will save your life.
Consider using the sewers to get around, since these will enable all options. As soon as you hear any word of the adventurers being nearby, cast Mage armor.
Ask HQ for 4 ordinary human skeletons, and 3 Ogre skeletons, get bows for all of them, use the ogres between you and the pesky adventurers, their big size will help you stay healthy longer. Keep the human skeletons within 100ft of you, to use as stunt doubles.
When you see the adventurers, immediately assess the situation, and cast Nerveskitter. Categorize them into these 6 categories:
Category 1 (strong will): People with pointy hats and robe (Wizards), People who look extremely charming with magical capes (Sorcerers).
Category 2 (strong ref): People with two weapon and a cloak or some form of headgear (Rogues).
Category 3 (strong fort): Things with double handed weapons who aren't category 5 (fighters, barbarians)
Category 4 (Weak Will): Guys with bows (rangers), that bring along an animal.
Category 5 (weak ref): Guys with loads of holy thingies (clerics or paladins), guy only in leather armor who brings along some kind of animal, most probably a dinosaur (druids)
Category 6 (weak fort): Martial Artists (Unarmed Swordsages), That guy who sings (bards)
First take out any category 1 characters in the enemy group, then take out any Category 5. Therefore you should start by webbing your opponents. Unless all of them have ranged weapons, in which case dropping a Sleet Storm first will be a wiser course of action.
Then you should take down anything attempting to come at you, I suggest casting a glitterdust to blind them so your undead minions can shoot them down with their bows. Then split the party by erecting a silent image of a stone wall between them. Preferably blocking the Category 1, 5 and 6 guys in with you, while the others are on the other side of the wall.
Direct your minions to focus on one target at a time, preferably Category 1 guys, closely followed by category 2 and 4 guys.
If some of their mindless fighters get too close, or you take a hit that seems too hard, remember you can always use abrupt jaunt to teleport 10ft away and dodge the attack, and if you get cornered, there is always the option of switching places with a human skeleton 100 feets away. If you get really cornered, use your wand of Reduce person, and run into somewhere where diminutive creatures can walk normally, so you can squeeze yourself in there as a tiny creature, remember that when you reduce yourself, you are no bigger than a house-cat. Alternatively, turn yourself into some kind of fish-like creature, and swim away.
Always remember that you can re-group if cornered, and all you need to do is to lock the adventurers down, while your spread-out skeletons work them down with bows. If you run out of minions, use summon monster to deal some damage to the adventurers, and act as a decoy for your escape.
Always remember your cloudy conjuration, that can be placed in front of you to grant concealment, and you can possible hide behind it.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »
When you see the adventurers, immediately assess the situation, and cast Nerveskitter. Categorize them into these 6 categories:
Category 1 (strong will): People with pointy hats and robe (Wizards), People who look extremely charming with magical capes (Sorcerers).
Category 2 (strong ref): People with two weapon and a cloak or some form of headgear (Rogues).
Category 3 (strong fort): Things with double handed weapons who aren't category 5 (fighters, barbarians)
Category 4 (Weak Will): Guys with bows (rangers), that bring along an animal.
Category 5 (weak ref): Guys with loads of holy thingies (clerics or paladins), guy only in leather armor who brings along some kind of animal, most probably a dinosaur (druids)
Category 6 (weak fort): Martial Artists (Unarmed Swordsages), That guy who sings (bards)

You are in a world of pain if they have an elf druid...

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 04:42:28 AM »
Build Name: The Unholy Batman!
Race/Class: Human Necropolitan  Cleric 5
Stats: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 13 (--), Int 14, Wis 18(20), Cha 18
Flaws: Noncombatant, Vulnerable
Feats: Corpsecrafter* (Flaw), Destructive Retribution* (Flaw), Extend Spell* (Domain), Blind Fight* (Domain),  Invisible Spell (Human), Persistant Spell, Divine Metamagic: Persistant Spell
Skills: Concentration (8), Spellcraft (8), Knowledge Religion (4), Knowledge Arcana (4), Spot (4), Listen (4), Use Magic Device (4)

Gear: Cloak of Charisma +2 (4,000g), Bag of Holding I (2,500g), Eggshell Grenades x20 (200g), Onyx to animate bats (625g if normal or 156.25g if cost is reduced), Chain Shirt (100g), Dastana (25g), Chahar-aina (Oriental Adventures, 75g), Heavy shield steel (20g).

Gear Note: Chain Shirt+Dastana+Chahar-aina+heavy steel shield = +8 AC. This does not reduce the wearer speed unless he is encumbered. It also makes him an effective tank when combined with shield of faith. As for the rest of the gear I assume standard survival gear ect.....

~Domains~Planning & Shadow

~Spells per Day~
5 / 3+1 / 2+1 / 1+1
~Bonus Spells per Day~
0 / +2 / +1 / +1

~Spells Prepared~
0 Level: Detect Magic x2, Light x1, Read Magic x1, Resistance x1
1st Level: Cause Fear x1, Entropic Shield x1, Bless x1, Ebon Eyes x1, Summon Undead I x1, Obscuring Mist* x1
2nd Level: Silence x1, Spiritual Weapon x1, Summon Undead II x1, Darkness* x1
3rd Level: Dispel Magic x1, Summon Undead III x1, Deeper Darkness* x1

Build Notes: Now you might be asking why Destructive Retribution? Well to put it simply you are going to prepare a mobile kamikaze squad to engage the PC's.

[spoiler]Animate Dead's material cost is 1 onyx gem worth 25gp per HD of the creature.
Bat's have a HD of 1d8* (1/4). Now this is where you as a DM come in. Since they are getting only 1/4 the HD wouldn't it make practical sense that the cost should also be reduced by 1/4? A weak creature is easier to animate than a stronger one, hence the cost increase per HD. So from a logical stand point the reverse should be true as well. If you use this option it only costs you 6g 25s worth of onyx per bat you animate.

Using Animate Dead, modified by invisible spell, in a Desecrated area with an alter devoted to your god we animate as many zombie bats as we see fit. Now you have a hoarde of diminutive, flying, 1d6 negative energy stealth bombs. Due to the wording of Invisible spell your zombie would now be permenantly invisible. (DM interpretation pending) Add that that you can store all your diminuative undead in a bag of holding!

Average character wealth by level for a 5th level character is 9,000g. If we charge 6g.25s per bat then for a meager 100g we can have 16 bat zombies that each do 1d6 negative energy. That is 16d6 negative energy damage for 100g. Considering Acid flasks (1d6 acid) are 10g a pop and alchemist fire (1d6+1) is 20g a pop. Getting 1d6 negative energy in a 10ft blast for 6.25g a pop is well worth the price. Especially since your source of damage is mobile and invisible. Even if you charge the normal 25g per bat the fact that they are mobile AND Invisible makes the price worth it. [/spoiler]

~Pre-Battle Tactics~
[spoiler]1. Command at least 5 animated zombie bats.
2. Animate your maximum number of undead. (Should be 20 HD worth. So at least 20 bats or 80 bats if DM says the 1/4 of a d8 counts as only 1/4 a HD..)
3. Precast Deeper Darkness on at least 2 of the bats. (It lasts 1 day/level. Refresh as needed)
4. Persistant Spell Ebon Eyes on yourself. This will allow you to use your deeper darkness as full cover. Alternatively, you could persistant spell an invisible spelled Spiritual Weapon spell. This would give you an invisible weapon capable of assaulting the PC's and it is difficult to destroy short of a dispel.
5. Purchase 20 eggshell grenades of dust (200g) and instruct 20 of your animated bats to hold them. (Or purchase 80 if DM allows more bats)
6. Store your bats in a bag of holding.[/spoiler]
~Battle Tactics~
[spoiler]1st round: Regardless of your initiative, open your bag of holding inside out as a move action, thereby releasing all 25 of your bats. It also releases both the bats with Deeper Darkness precasted on them. As a free action command your 20 bats with eggshell grenades to "egg bomb" the PC's and then have all but the ones with Deeper darkness attack them. Each eggshell grenade that hits a PC blinds them for 1d4 rounds with no save. Anyone within 5ft of it must make a DC 10 fort of be blinded for 1 round. As your standard action, cast Silence on one of your 5 commanded bats and then use a free action to have it circle the PC's that look like casters. The silence should help deal with casters as well as possibly preventing the PC's from working together. Keep the remaining 4 commanded bats clinging to your person as backup healing.

(Why blind them when they already have full miss chance from Deeper Darkness? A few reasons.... if they somehow can see in magical darkness blindness negates this, if they dispel both of them somehow blindness would still be in effect, or if they somehow stumble outside the radius.)

2nd round: As a standard action cast invisible Spiritual Weapon and focus it on a caster. Continue using 18 of your bats to assault to PC's in the darkness. Keep the two bats with deeper darkness spread out and out of any area of attack ranges, thus, keeping the PC's  in darkness as long as possible. Keep the silenced bat circling any clothies.
Use your move action to reposition yourself away from your original position, thereby making it harder to target you with area spells.

3rd round: By now the PC's should have either begun killing your bats or possibly all of them with one good Fireball. This will cause all the bats to explode and cause significant damage to anyone within the radius. Now use begin using your summon undead spells. I would start with invisible Summon Monster II and sick it on a healer or clothy. Use your move action to reposition again. Free actions to adjust bats as needed.

Subsequent Rounds: If the PC's are having trouble with the bats and your first invisible summon then use the opportunity to buff yourself and the undead. If they dispatch the bats relatively quickly, follow up by using your invisible summon undead 3. While they wittle down its HP use cause fear on a weak willed member.

If the PC's look like they might lose: Use Deathwatch to monitor their HP and possibly capture one in all the confusion. (Bags of holding make excellent body bags. XP )

If the PC's look like they will win: Use a Dispel Magic to dispell as many of their buffs as possible. (By now they should have at least a few more active.) Then use obscuring mist/deeper darkness to escape.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:45:01 AM by Eviltedzies »
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.