Author Topic: Help me survive this crazy homebrew setting.  (Read 5749 times)

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Help me survive this crazy homebrew setting.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
Agh! Another 'detail' has come up! Now he wants us to convert to Pathfinder  :grave

He gave us a small intro on how PF was all better than 3.5, but to me it just seems like someone without any real knowledge on how to design games properly went through the core books and changed things randomly. I may have to reconsider making a druid, as they seem to get nerfed hard.

What happened to the old saying, 'If a game is fun, don't fuck it up in your feeble attempt to enforce balance'. Sigh.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 06:06:59 AM »
I may have to reconsider making a druid, as they seem to get nerfed hard.
As someone who's run PF, Druids got nerfed, yes...but they're STILL the best class out of the box. You just can't go monostat on them.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 06:22:47 AM »
3)
Because there is no gods to direct the cosmic energy flows, souls are utterly destroyed once they leave their protective bodies. Enough essence remains for undead to be created, but there is no way of ever bring a dead back to life. The elves are rumored to have been able to cast Raise Dead, but they are extinct, so.. Yeah. I need to simply not die.
"I'm going ghost!"
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
Ghost druid?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Lifat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »
Other people have mentioned it. I am kind of curious though... Would the possible arcane caster group member have to knock out the evil divine spellcasters?
How does the NPCs know that you are a druid?
And if the answer is yes; they just do... Then do what Solo said... Minus the info gathering... That is just crazy talk!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »
I wonder if the DM realizes that going Pathfinder will just mean easier-to-kill druids.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
He gave us a small intro on how PF was all better than 3.5, but to me it just seems like someone without any real knowledge on how to design games properly went through the core books and changed things randomly. I may have to reconsider making a druid, as they seem to get nerfed hard.

You understand D&D better than your DM. I just want you to keep that in mind for the rest of this thread. Chances are, builds that have a high damage output will be banned. So will builds with a high AC. Enemies will likely rely on high AC and being giant sacks of hit points for their defense. You will want to invest in battlefield control and debuffs at low levels for your offense, so that moderate damage output will destroy your opponents. Your defense will be battlefield control again, as well as buffs. When you get access to them, miss chances are good. At higher levels, save-or-dies and no-save-just-suck abilities become more viable, and touch ACs fall further and further behind (so that attacks that rely on them become more and more powerful). Your defenses will become more tactical than statistical; use spells to reshape the battlefield or fly, so that enemies can't reach you. It's likely that several opponents will lack flight capability altogether, but not certain. Do things like give yourself Superior Invisibility, or the Darkstalker feat, and so on to prevent your opponents from knowing where you are. If you can get somebody undead in your party (Necropolitan is a good way to go), Lifesense (see Libris Mortis) is a fantastic feat to take, but it's likely intelligent undead weak enough to be PCs will be banned, and the DM will argue that a rotting corpse isn't socially acceptable no matter what you do, making no allowance for things like Bluff and Disguise checks or gentle repose. See if you can get access to summoning Earth elementals, and make use of Earth Glide to harass your foes. Summon Undead for allips or shadows or something works just as well.

I would recommend having at least 1 Tome of Battle character in your party, but be warned that there's a decent chance it'll be banned. Barring that, druids are excellent at low levels, and while they lose some of their luster at high levels compared to wizards, they're still solid choices. Wizards are going to be extremely powerful in the late game (Celerity is an especially tasty gem), but their fragility at low levels can be problematic before they get enough spells that they never run out, and it seems likely that your DM will steal your spellbooks at some point. Meanwhile, the druid can just grab any tuft of fur (note that your animal companion is likely to be covered in them) or plant (note that the ground is likely to be covered in them) and call it good.

In short, unless you're starting at level 15+, I'd recommend druids for every possible party member.

EDIT: Another reason is that, barring shenanigans, Wizards have a hard time getting access to large amounts of healing without magic items. This isn't so important in battle, but it compounds with their fragility to greatly shorten the number of combats they can fight. At any rate, stick with casters; if magic items are rare, noncasters are screwed; a Fighter of any non-epic level is screwed against a Balor, but can you imagine how fast that fight will be over if the fighter has only a masterwork sword and masterwork suit of full plate? Spellcasters get to keep their toys.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:33:34 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.