Author Topic: So...anyone heard of this Dresden thing? lol  (Read 4184 times)

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
So...anyone heard of this Dresden thing? lol
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
So my friends/gaming group all read dresden and are all about the books....me? i'm on chapter 6 of book one  :blush

anyway, we got our hands on the rpg, and are now in the midst of statting characters. I've decided to go with something not too hard to grasp ruleswise. But as i'm not familiar with the source material, i needed to know if the books ever mention giants, or half-giants? i know theirs ogres tho. I'm lookin to build a brawler type...i described him as "A more hooligan version of Hagrid" lol

any ideas?
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: So...anyone heard of this Dresden thing? lol
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
Hmm, you can play a half-ogre changeling(that is, half fey, with the ogre being the fey half). Full ogres(which changelings can choose to become as a one way trip) tend to be dumb, hideously big and strong, as well as sharing the typical fey resilience to magic. Until they change fully however, half-fey are not particularly vulnerable to iron.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »
Of course, your GM could quite easily rule that you're still partially vulnerable (the template mentions it as a possible compel), so it's something to keep in mind.

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
Looks like I'll be goin with ogre after all, at least as a guideline...gonna be a half-fey, gotta figure out how to bring this thing down to a playable level without sacrificing too much of the full blooded, ogre beefiness. 
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:38:11 AM »
If you really need to you can Choose and it's a one way trip to giant smasher land!
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:12:12 AM »
Of course, if you do that, you get taken over by the GM, but it can be a nice way to go out.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:33:23 AM »
There are worse ways to go, and you don't lose your MIND, you just get drastically altered.
Not that an ogre, being faerie folk, can't pick up illusions relatively quickly and somewhat pass for mortal.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:35:24 AM »
I think it's more that you lose your free will. Not that it wouldn't be possible to keep playing that way; it'd just be less enjoyable.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »
Well, Faeries DO have free will though.
Ogres are not explicitly either court, so all you have is a brand new suite of instincts.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
That's what having a refresh of zero or lower represents, though: losing your free will and becoming able to act only according to your nature. So presumably even if you were able to keep making decisions normally, the Faerie Courts would get their hooks into you one way or another (you'd probably count as a Wyldfae).

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
Yeah, refresh of 0 or lower = NPC.  You can finish playing out the scene, but after that you're character is basically on autopilot.

That's one of the mechanics that makes me think dresden is the best mode for F/SN, given the ending of HF.  Every time Shirou uses the arm, he picks up an additional lawbreaker (third).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:26:09 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
I dunno, though. The Lawbreaker bonus only applies to using magic that would break the law again. Then again, tapping into the arm would probably provide its own benefits, so I can see how that would work.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 07:36:57 PM »
I dunno, though. The Lawbreaker bonus only applies to using magic that would break the law again. Then again, tapping into the arm would probably provide its own benefits, so I can see how that would work.
Yeah, and every time he uses it he's stealing knowledge from the future and getting better at stealing knowledge from the future.
Planetouched Handbook

neko128

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »
Ogres are not explicitly either court, so all you have is a brand new suite of instincts.

I thought that the entire distinction between a Fae and a Human in Dresden-world terms that the Fae don't have free will? 

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
iv just finished the first three books, i have little to know idea what most of you are talking about!!!
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 03:53:25 PM »

I thought that the entire distinction between a Fae and a Human in Dresden-world terms that the Fae don't have free will? 
Consider how Aurora can act against the wishes of her Queen, I dare say most of them have SOME free will. Maybe on par with a White Court vamp really.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »

Consider how Aurora can act against the wishes of her Queen, I dare say most of them have SOME free will. Maybe on par with a White Court vamp really.
Aurora was nuts, though, and acting against the spirit of their orders while complying with the letter is faerie nature.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »
Well, my view on it is that for the most part the Fae are just really low refresh(maybe at 1 even) and heavy on compelling Aspects(multiple of which usually apply with the speaking no lie thing). Its hard to draw the line, but they're falling under the 'have a little free will' thing to me by a hair.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

neko128

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »
Well, my view on it is that for the most part the Fae are just really low refresh(maybe at 1 even) and heavy on compelling Aspects(multiple of which usually apply with the speaking no lie thing). Its hard to draw the line, but they're falling under the 'have a little free will' thing to me by a hair.

Full Fae are, by definition, 0 refresh.  In the rules books, it does talk about the Younglings who are close to the choice, and specs them out; it also talks about how, once they make a choice about their nature, they either descend to 0 refresh or lose their Fae powers (an example of this from the books is, when HD is fighting at the Altar, one of the younglings makes the choice to become a troll - instead of troll-descended - because while she loses her humanity, it gives her the power to save Harry). And as the above poster mentioned, it's not that Aurora rebelled against the Queen - it's that she didn't rebel against her nature.  She was insane, and while she owed Loyalty to the Queen, her bigger responsibility was to trying to increase Summer's power - even at the expense of the Summer Knight...  Or her own people.  I want to say that there's actually a discussion about this later on in the novel, but I don't have it handy to look it up, so I can't say.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »
^^
Yes, but fully nonhuman creatures can have free will(plus other than PCs, starting Refresh can be rather high too), seeing as Mouse is at a playble Refresh.
So from that, full Fae MAY retain free will, but most of them don't.

Also, Aurora was trying to give Summer power to Winter. By her own nature thats completely against everything she stands for.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]