Author Topic: D20 Martial Monk Base Class  (Read 7336 times)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
D20 Martial Monk Base Class
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:06:45 AM »
d20 martial monk base class
In progress, not done, unfinished!

Not a monk fix, a different class.
Not sure why I wouldn't just use the Tome one. :-/
I also find Pathfinder's implementation to be rather okay, albeit they could've done better.

Anyway, the point is, a D&D martial monk has little to do with actual martial monks, or martial artists who go through all that incredible training, or even the tropes they're involved with or...

You get the point.
Still in progress. I don't like the 72 arts name, and I need to write up all the different arts (hopefully less than 72, actually.) Training from Hell is a key feature. I think the initial push was "Fix MAD by giving more stat points".
'Kenji' manga was one additional source of inspiration.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: D20 Martial Monk Base Class
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
Hard to say more without seeing what the arts do yet.
Why keep the lawful btw?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
Hard to say more without seeing what the arts do yet.
Why keep the lawful btw?
Well... a Neutral might pull it off, but if you're a chaotic flake, you can't handle the training without goofing off. Because it's hard and boring, and surely there's an easier way of doing it and why do I have to run around wearing lead weights anyway. Lawfuls are most likely to stick to the training.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
False stereotyping I'm afraid. Discipline has more to do with Wis than L vs C.
And in the original literature for these monk types, the lawful ones train at the monastaries, the chaotic ones are more likely to retreat to some cave, island or mountaintop to train their unorthodox but nonetheless effective self improvement.

Quite a few have a strong streak against authority in fact. Please, don't let the Chaotic Stupids have their way.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
False stereotyping I'm afraid. Discipline has more to do with Wis than L vs C.
And in the original literature for these monk types, the lawful ones train at the monastaries, the chaotic ones are more likely to retreat to some cave, island or mountaintop to train their unorthodox but nonetheless effective self improvement.

Quite a few have a strong streak against authority in fact. Please, don't let the Chaotic Stupids have their way.
Well... I view alignment differently. It's probably not worth the hassle to keep it there, just mention in fluff that martial monks must be both disciplined and diligent.

*edit*

would 'Secret Arts' be a good replacement for 72 arts? Need to differentiate from the actual arts a bit, and allow for DM flexibility.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
Alright, now on to more fun matters.
Which famed skills are you basing the special arts off?
The known eastern martial arts extended to mystical level? Ba Gua, Tai Chi, etc etc
The semi mythical arts of Iron Cloth Vest and Qing Gong? They do exist, but reports are greatly exaggerated IRL of course(since it's just endurance and acrobatics/athletics training really)
Or more wholly fictional stuff like the Eighteen Dragon-Slaying Palm Strikes.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »
Oh, I'll start with the Shaolin ones; not sure where I go with them, as it comes to mind, training techniques may go in trees - without a certain base training, you can't do a more advanced one, after all.

Ideally, I'd like a mixture of soft and hard techniques, but I want to base them on stuff that has been rumored to exist, at least, at some point. Basically, no over-the-top anime or wuxia stuff. That's... more of a Mage than Mystic thing, on the Hero / Adventurer / Mage / Mystic scale, and Monk is definitely a Mystic type.

The idea for Grandmastery is synergy combos - for an example, if you have the poison hand and something that allows you to, say, use combat maneuvers at range, you could do poison hand hits at range, or if you have damage absorption training done and you take some internal manipulation style, you could throw opponent's attacks back at them.

Not sure what to do with Great Grandmastery yet.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Well, if you're going for T3(rather than a good T4), you're going to have to start working with weird shit like poisonous ki(the myth) inspired by secret recipes of poisons, antidotes and hidden weapons(the reality), gliding around, etc.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 03:07:14 AM »
Well, even RL Poison hands training sounds pretty hardcore, and possibly lethal, just to gain a secret weapon...

Style  benefits should probably be along the lines, Novice being equal to abilities of creatures with no more than CR 4, or 2nd level spells, Advanced CR 6 / 3rd spells and Master CR 10 / 6th 5th spells.

So, some sort of a lightning fist style, could allow adding 1/2 your level in d6 dice as lightning damage to your attacks, Haste, and eventually the ability to teleport as a line effect on material plane, while dealing lightning damage on the area you pass.

This, however, wouldn't be nearly enough. First level should also grant some sort of actual skill - say, K:Arcana, and maybe lightning resistance 5, upped to 10 at Master level.

Advanced level should grant some further variance, say Evasion, and Master level could allow your blows to deal damage in 5ft. bursts on each blow.

Or somesuch 

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 04:18:03 AM »
I simplified the structure, although it broke the Incarnum-derived order of advancement.

Hey, feats:
- Novice Training: choose a secret art; you gain Novice training in the art.
- Advanced Training: prereq: BAB +6 or Monk level 6.
- Master Training: prereq: BAB +11, or Monk level 11.

I still have trouble coming up with the training-thingies.