Author Topic: Spirit Detectives game - anyone interested?  (Read 9408 times)

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Spirit Detectives game - anyone interested?
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
One concern though is that such an arrangement leaves NK's character as the odd one out.
Bardiche/Raising Heart OTP.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »
I like the idea of a dormitory.

The exchange students host family could live across the road from our student dorm?

He could also be living in the dorm?

Or he could be taking the same classes as us.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Neon Knight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
Well, as kami noted, if I'm going to be a stalking target, it would be more interesting if I lived apart. Which, if everyone lives together, means that I'd be the odd one out.

Everyone living together grants or at least implies a stronger connection/familiarity with one another; it works best if it includes all of us. Chen Yi will be the stranger of the group in a group that is otherwise composed of more than casual acquaintences, which while not being an insurmountable obstacle might still make things a bit awkward. I'm not opposed to the dormitory idea, except in the fact that it causes this.

I'm not sure what to suggest as an alternative. We could always drop the current stalkee status from Yi and just have her live in the dorm with everyone else, but that's really just simplifying the matter and probably shouldn't be our first course of action.

Well.... let's think for a moment, actually. Under this set-up, Shizuka knows Yi because she's stalking her, the damn hippie commie pinko knows her because she's a better child than he ever was... both of those are pretty good initial dispositions. If we can somehow tie Mixster's teacher to Yi in a similar matter, and thus have her be a figure that all three of them know and have a level of interest in beyond acquaintance, I think it could all work out.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »

RL stalking or anime-style stalking?  :D It actually makes a difference. RL stalking involves distance and not being seen. This precludes Yi from living in the dorm. Anime stalking is the creeper always poorly hidden in the doorway, gazing obsessively at you from under his/bangs. You'd be the creepy kid whos always aloof socially, quiet and doesn't let the stalkee out of sight.

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
RL-style played for laughs. Shizuka follows people from afar, learns their habits, imitates them in small ways. She latches on to people who appear to be Good and assumes she's nowhere near Good Enough to actually approach them.

Yi could be a former target just by virtue of actually having gone up to Shizuka and said hi, been nice, and otherwise unintentionally taking herself out of the Perfect and Unapproachable bracket (but not via the usual methods, i.e. freaking out or having her friends beat the weirdo up). In fact Yi might not even realize she ever was a target, except that Shizuka sometimes displays a worrying knowledge of her. Depends on why NK wants to be a current target and whether this satisfies it at all.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Neon Knight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
RE Current vs. Former: I went with current mostly because I assumed it would have more material to work with. I also assumed it would turn out to have more opportunities for interesting developments/ humorous developments. I suppose I don't have any particular strong reason for it, although some of my reluctance is perhaps due to not understanding as to how Yi would move from current to former, given that she would be unlikely to either freak-out or arrange for a pummeling. It makes it sound like Chen Yi was just painfully boring, or something, and Shizuka wandered off at some point, which makes the whole detail seem... underwhelming and not that interesting.

I suppose my problem with former is that I'm not certain why it would be former, given that the only mechanism that moves people from current to former are actions that Yi would not take. In addition, with former, it seems like the majority of the dynamic and interaction has already occurred and is in the past, and that the only real effect it has is the occasional off-hand joke where Shizuka knows a bit too much about Chen Yi's personal life, possibly coupled with the joke that it is somewhat easy to convince Chen Yi that this knowledge is innocuous through preposterous means.

Chen Yi is definitely the sort who would try to give the weird outcast girl a chance and be nice to her; she's also the type who might try to interfere and stop one of the oft mentioned ganging-ups on that Shizuka ends up getting as a result of her activities. Yi is kind, trustworthy, responsible, honest and charismatic, but not particularly clever or perceptive, and is therefore more vulnerable to subterfuge and sneakiness.

In short, I liked current more simply because it made it more of an issue. It's just more interesting to me because there's more to it.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
I like the idea of having a group with two characters stalking eachother, makes for interesting roleplaying.

So how's this?
Flowers that Blossom Lives in a student dorm. On the other side of the hallway lives Yi. Yi and Martin (flowers real name) got to know eachother when Yi first moved in to be an exchange student, having many questions she turned to Martin, who is more used to the country. They've got the sort of friendship you get with people you share a kitchen with. It's a practical relationship, where they are friends merely by merit of them living next to eachother, since both of them are sort of helpful, they help the other when needed, but apart from that they haven't really talked much. Martin, has a childhood friend, Kamikaseis character, who lives a few blocks away, they were neighbours when younger and thus grew up together, but stopped seeing that much to eachother when Martin took his fancy hippie name, and started smoking too much. He is somehow sad that their friendship grew apart, but doesn't know how to say it. All of them are taught English, by GKs character, who is also the "homework helper" of the school, he's got a place where you can go to get help with your essay of which some of us use more than others.

It's all just suggestions for a Background story, written from my characters point of view, but what do you think?

Alternatively or in addition to this GKs character could be a friend of my parents if he'd like to?

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »

Sounds workable. Has a good Smallville dynamic going  :p

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 12:41:10 AM »

Hey Cubey, what would a dog that giggles, drinks only oolong tea and occasionally acts creepily intelligent be? Could we get one?

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 09:48:07 AM »
The proposed common background is consistent and I do not have any issues with it. Unless someone decides otherwise, so far let's go with that.

As for how Yi and Shizuka got to know each other:
Bullies: Hehehe...
Shizuka: Oh no, stereotypical evil behavior!
Yi: Stop right there, criminal scum! *kicks their asses*
Shizuka: Onee-sama~!

Okay, you don't have to go with this idea. You probably shouldn't in fact.

Dog? Zoinks, Scoob - what a detective teenage team would be without a loyal pet! I have a feeling you referenced something here and I didn't get it though.

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »
I'd suggest a modification to Mixster's suggestion: GT's teacher lodges in Shizuka's family home while her parents are away, making it two and two. The rescue scenario for meeting Yi sounds good and amusing. GT's teacher could be very lax regarding curfews, or perhaps Shizuka has had to work around him up to now, but paranormal business will find them both in cahoots once the game starts.

That does leave Yi without a host family, but otherwise seems to fill most requirements we all have. (A thought: what if it's Jiang Ya who's staying with Flowers' family?)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Neon Knight

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »
That sounds good. I'd recommend going with both Mixster's proposal and kamiaksei's suggestions. Yi doesn't really need a host family; it was just a suggestion, and these accommodations seem to work out better. So, we have this so far:

Chen Yi lives in the dorm across from Flowers, and the two are mutual casual acquaintances. Shizuka is a childhood friend of Flowers who has grown distant over time. GK's teacher lodges with Shizuka, and teaches the English class that they all attend. Yi has become the target of Shizuka's stalking when she rescued Shizuka from some bullies/friends of someone she stalked. Jiang Ya (if its all right with Mixster) is the host daughter of Flower's family.

RE Pets: I have the ghost of a long dead warlord and strategist as my pet. :D

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »
That sounds good. I'd recommend going with both Mixster's proposal and kamiaksei's suggestions. Yi doesn't really need a host family; it was just a suggestion, and these accommodations seem to work out better. So, we have this so far:

Chen Yi lives in the dorm across from Flowers, and the two are mutual casual acquaintances. Shizuka is a childhood friend of Flowers who has grown distant over time. GK's teacher lodges with Shizuka, and teaches the English class that they all attend. Yi has become the target of Shizuka's stalking when she rescued Shizuka from some bullies/friends of someone she stalked. Jiang Ya (if its all right with Mixster) is the host daughter of Flower's family.

This sounds great! I like it :)

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »

This sounds great! I like it :)

Let me think about it. I'd rather be in the dorm myself, but as long as I have good reason to pop in at odd hours it'll work.

The names Aiden Percival Wyden Dharkovour by the way, which he mumbles a lot. Its a mystery to him how his parents could mispell his name so badly *shrugs*. His Mr. D in school, or Val outside of school.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
The names Aiden Percival Wyden Dharkovour by the way
This does not sound familiar at all.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »
The names Aiden Percival Wyden Dharkovour by the way
This does not sound familiar at all.

Tell me! This names been rattling around in my head for weeks, and I don't know where I got it from. Its a mental equivalent of an STD picked up from a drunken night you don't remember - and IT BURNS!  :P

kamikasei

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
It puts me in mind of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »
It puts me in mind of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

:lmao

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
The more references the characters have in their names and whatnot, the more references I will throw at you from the game master side! And I'll make sure they are cringe-worthy.

On a more serious note, where would you prefer to play? I like plothook.net, and I can set up a subforum there. Or would you rather do it here?

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »

I'd rather it be here instead of adding another site I need to check up on.

Reason I'm amused: [spoiler]The character idea is an outgrowth of fanfic pitch involving Harry Potter. Potters gormless IMO, so I was tempted to do a parody fic where they lost him as a baby, found him as a twenty something but decided to make him a wizard anyway. Living with the Dursleys had made him a pretty cynical dude that thought the entire thing was a mental breakdown hallucination, but hey, why not enjoy the fantasy, got youthened and basically Mary Sued up Hogwarts as a flippant adult pretending to be a kid. Kind of a parady of the Covenent books if Thomas decided to actually enjoy being in a world he didn't believe was real where he was hero worshipped.

Then I got sober and skinned it like the horrible plotbunny it was  :rollseyes But the idea of a chosen hero who was lost in the mail, and when discovered by his 'real' people, refused it overwork hallucination tickled me as a PC concept. The fact I'm a teacher and my subconscious riffed with Dumbledore's name amuses me to no end.  [/spoiler]