Author Topic: Ban discussion  (Read 8253 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ban discussion
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
My guess is Wotmaniac is right. Since bans are so rare here just work them out rather than someone trying to see how many times they can get banned or someone gloating over getting another person banned.

As to the specific instance that provoked this thread, I don't think it was the initial shot that turned it into a ban. Had he admitted that he went over the line rather than furthering his attack I think he may have been allowed to stay. Beyond that Meg's post seemed to suggest that he would be able to bitch about her locking the thread and his account was still logged in for about 3 more minutes. I suspect that he sent a PM during that time that put the final nail in his coffin. So i'm fairly certain the ban was justified even if we aren't privy to all the details.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
someone should do a podcast on 'kicking players out of the group"
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »
Someone was banned? Now I've harped on JaronK for his exception idea a few times and never got so much as a warning, I'd hate to see what it takes to be banned so in a way. I'm sure he deserved it.

As for the podcast about kicking people. They have had one, or fifteen, about not to. Now is a good time to say there are exceptions :)
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
Thing is, this is their house to an extent. The BGs have a podcast - you may have heard of it. :p Potential listeners will come here, and they don't want to lose audience because someone is scaring them off.
I noticed Meg changed her stance from the 2008 WotC migration to some time in 2009 or so, when she got specific complaints from people IRL about the forum.  I can't say I blame her or anything, but she definitely wanted the place cleaner after that point.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Someone was banned? Now I've harped on JaronK for his exception idea a few times and never got so much as a warning, I'd hate to see what it takes to be banned so in a way. I'm sure he deserved it.

As for the podcast about kicking people. They have had one, or fifteen, about not to. Now is a good time to say there are exceptions :)

i should have used the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] or [irony][/irony] tags.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Jim Profit

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:06:57 AM »
Yeah, there's a certain amount of being an ass that's allowed, but andy crossed the line when he started in on another poster's recently dead relative.  That's just uncalled for.
I wish to have this guy's Facebook, I bet he'd be my friend, and he'd make an amusing one... lol

i see a big difference between my house and an internet forum.

the forum is a public gathering place, a mostly public gathering place...

i may kick you out of my house for being an ass on the first offense, but i will not kick you out of a public place for it.

drunk is not an excuse, you need no excuse for speech.

rights do not end where other begin, they dont come with responsibilities either. rights are 'inalienable', you have the right to speak, and to shut up, most of us can barely do either. some can do both at the same time even.
This is exactly what I say, but for some reason when I say it, people don't listen. It's probably because I'm black.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
I totally didn't even see this the first time around- I'm so sorry, I would've given more info then!

I didn't realize AndyJames was running a game and I can see how that would've caused confusion. I'm sorry.

As for the change in my stance- just to give some light, I did have a somewhat change of stance and I want to explain why it matters:

I came from WotC as you know, and am extremely pro-trust-and-respect-the-members.  That hasn't changed- I dislike over-moderation and HATE power for power's sake, whether it's a forum moderator or a cop with a tiny dick. Earn respect, don't demand it because of your own insecurities.

But 2009 was really rough for me. We lost our grandmother. Then my closest (29 year old) collegue died of breast cancer.  THEN my father died. And to top it all off, my dog died suddenly and I'm still heartbroken over.

That all put a lot in perspective. THEN I had a kid. That REALLY put things in perspective.  The feedback we got from potential listeners deleting our podcasts because of the asshole-ness of some of the boards members played into it, but life lessons were even more of a lesson I didn't really want to learn.

Life is short. My patience level for putting up with bratty assholes has gone WAY down.  I just can not stand virgin, pimply college kids who think the worst thing that could ever happen to them is that someone tries to argue that the Monk is balanced. Come on already. Wake up and take a look at the real world and put those arguments where they belong- as an interesting philosophical cognitive study and nothing to have emotional investment in.  Not something to sit and scream about and tell strangers on the internet that you are happy their aunt died.

My stance on over-moderation has not changed. I have a super long leash to give out to the deserving. Just have a life-balanced outlook on life and where gaming belongs and your fine.

So short answer- yes, I will give notice of those who have been banned. What I ask though is we respect those who can't stand up for themselves- if they have been banned, I'll give some info and hope we move on, I don't want that to be an invitation to talk shit. 

I'll start a new thread.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply Meg. I also read the new thread and think it should work out well. You may want to see about making it so non-mods can't post in that thread and risk having to lock it, as a just in case. While it may be a bit late, my condolences on your 2009.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
You may want to see about making it so non-mods can't post in that thread and risk having to lock it, as a just in case.
Mods can post in locked threads. It should probably be stickied though, or at least linked from a sticky. Speaking of which, the Welcome thread hasn't been updated for 3 years - it still references "G-Fu".
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:43 PM »
Not sure if the Ban log thread is meant to be open to responses, so I will post this here. I think the Ban log is an excellent idea, it tells people what kind of behaviour to avoid and since it is maintained by Meg there I am certain it won't be carried out in a demeaning manner. Well done, well done.

Handy Links

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:46 AM »
I am rather pleased. :clap
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 03:18:53 AM »
Well, we rarely ban anything thats not a spambot anyway, so this setup should do fine. It helps to have the reasons and incidents they were banned out there.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."