Author Topic: Ban discussion  (Read 8261 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Ban discussion
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
While outright bans are very rare here (I think i've only seen 2), the recent banning of AndyJames has brought something to light. Andy was running a game as well as in the process of joining another in the PbP section. His disappearance caused a fair bit of confusion. Can there be a sticky thread in this forum that will let us know when someone has been banned? That way we won't have the same situation as we did here, with us having to ask a mod what was going on.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Ban discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »
im not defending andy in particular.

but im anti banning people for personality disorders.

he was in a off topic sub forum, so the proper place for showing your ass...

his behavior in the rest of the on topic areas has been fine, that i have seen.

and once banned they cannot be interactively ridiculed.

thats my 2c.

banning and closing threads is not how i think of bg.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
He really crossed the line there.

I would think that locking the topic, a warning, and a couple week ban from BG (along with a longer ban from the particular forum in which it took place) would be enough for a first offense, though
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »
^^
Agreed, on all counts.
While outright bans are very rare here (I think i've only seen 2), the recent banning of AndyJames has brought something to light. Andy was running a game as well as in the process of joining another in the PbP section. His disappearance caused a fair bit of confusion. Can there be a sticky thread in this forum that will let us know when someone has been banned? That way we won't have the same situation as we did here, with us having to ask a mod what was going on.
Might want to redefine that to proper members.
Spambots have to be banned as they're spotted and it can get really tiring.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
^^
Agreed, on all counts.
Might want to redefine that to proper members.
Spambots have to be banned as they're spotted and it can get really tiring.
Yes that is baring Spam Bots, unless it is Phaedrus since he is an advanced spam bot  ;)
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »
hmm ... I thought this had happened before ... and I was right !!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4508.msg184455#msg184455

:banghead
I bet someone from a New Zealand hack factory, has been impersonating him all this time ...

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »
To be entirely fair, that thread had gone on for quite some time relatively unchecked. I'll agree that he might not have merited a perma-ban for a first offense, but it was a hell of an offense.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:26 AM »
I'm kind of also assuming he was posting drunk at the time, given the date and time.
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:24:18 AM »
I'm kind of also assuming he was posting drunk at the time, given the date and time.
Was he posting from New Zealand?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:28:04 AM »
Was he posting from New Zealand?
I think he was.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »
To be entirely fair, that thread had gone on for quite some time relatively unchecked. I'll agree that he might not have merited a perma-ban for a first offense, but it was a hell of an offense.

idk if he's mentally deficient or just an ass, but he was within the generally established board parameters. he was rude in an off topic 'bitching' aka 'rude' thread.

it goes against my nature for holding 'speech' against someone.

had he done that as derailing an on topic thread, or displayed repeat abusive behavior, then discipline may have became called for. but lapses of judgement are a key reason any of us are online / on a dnd forum / born. you cant go around holding people 'that' accountable for being an ass online. half this forums off topic content is from japan for godsakes... where is the good judgement there?

i submit that peer rebuking would have been the proper response, not totalitarian smiting.

and again not defending him, but i want to be able to give the old 'esad' every now and again. violence and abuse are not the answer, some times their a good guess.

on that topic i'll refer to the recent joe rogan faggot debacle. check the rogan interviews regarding his defense.

i dont care if he was drunk or sober, 13 or 30. he played by the rules (minus the not pissing meg off one) and 'you' bunch of 'andyjames'es over reacted.

now its my bed time, im all worked up, my dog is still dead, i dont have my ar inhand yet and i left half a beer in the bathroom (litteraly, its on the sink, ima go get it)

till next time, unless im promoted to emperor in absentia.

Anim-manga sux.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:32 AM »
Yeah, there's a certain amount of being an ass that's allowed, but andy crossed the line when he started in on another poster's recently dead relative.  That's just uncalled for.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:19 AM »
Pretty much.

Though given that the post was actually civil before editing in the attack, I suspect much alcohol was involved.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
okay, so johnny comes over to your house after work every day to hang-out.
sometimes he hits the bar before coming over.  when he's drunk, he likes to smash-out your windows and break your furniture.
sorry, but even if he only gets drunk on fridays, johnny's not coming to my house anymore.

another analogy might be:
if you get caught speeding, the cop might let you off with a warning.  if you intentionally run somebody over, the cop's not gonna be real concerned with how fast you were going ... and it doesn't matter if you were drunk or not.

as to the whole speech thing -- one person's rights end where another's begin.  one should have a reasonable expectation of being able to post in a thread (regardless of the topic) without what happened to SkyDragonKnight.

and just chalking it up to "oh well, he was probably just drunk" ... that's just making excuses.  he really did cross the line -- and that should have consequences.

as far as the rippling effects:
having a sticky or something seems like it would be akin to celebrating when it happens -- which just seems unhealthy (for the board in general, that is), and would seem to encourage a certain level of immaturity that just wouldn't be needed.
as inconvenient as it may be, that's just how things work out sometimes :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
Eh, if you post your email up to /b/, you're kind of asking for it.
Planetouched Handbook

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »
i see a big difference between my house and an internet forum.

the forum is a public gathering place, a mostly public gathering place...

i may kick you out of my house for being an ass on the first offense, but i will not kick you out of a public place for it.

drunk is not an excuse, you need no excuse for speech.

rights do not end where other begin, they dont come with responsibilities either. rights are 'inalienable', you have the right to speak, and to shut up, most of us can barely do either. some can do both at the same time even.

sticks n stones. if someone calling you a name or making fun of you on the internet ways heavy on you, please refrain from interneting. its not safe out there.

Banky: That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously. Stopping the flick isn't gonna stop that.
Jay: This isn't fair. We came to Hollywood, I fell in love. Fuckin', we got shot at, we stole a monkey, and I got punched in the motherfucking nuts by a guy named Cock-Knocker.

Anim-manga sux.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
Thing is, this is their house to an extent. The BGs have a podcast - you may have heard of it. :p Potential listeners will come here, and they don't want to lose audience because someone is scaring them off.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
a better comparison would be a mall. and yes it is privately own, and signing up for an account means you agree to terms.

im not saying banning was legally/technically wrong, im saying it was disappointing and i would not have done it and do not condone it.

Anim-manga sux.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
Yea, I was quite pleased to see the thread locked with such haste after such a comment.

I was saddened to hear that a member that had actually been rather positive and decent everywhere else on the boards was permanently banned outright as a result.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
as my biology prof point out today about a former prof of his, "he is a bastard but also a very good scientist."

Anim-manga sux.