Author Topic: Replacement game for Athanos Players  (Read 11724 times)

mthor

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Replacement game for Athanos Players
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »
I'm gone for 1 day......1 DAY!! and you guys all go have fun without me. it hurts  :shakefist
anyway 2 binders = fun... I'll throw up my sheet the first day I don't work. 
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Finally home. I'll read your questions and give answers tonight.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »
wondering if Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium is okay as far as feats go. and i should have a character sheet up later today

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »
Thought about playing two different characters, and PS the setting is balls-out awesome.
I'll take this a a complement. Glad to see I have the Flay seal of approval.

First off, doers the Spellfire wielder feat act as a 3.5 rod of negation, i.e. no action needed to absorb oncoming spells (which I'd like to say I always read to mean you couldn't be buffed), or is it a move/standard/whatever it was in 3.0?
Second, if that's out, how would a changeling wild-shaping ranger ex-convict, heading towards warshaper and master of many forms (or something like that) sound to you? If anyone's confused, think the character Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist, but slightly more DnD suited. It'd be my schtick to transform into creatures I learn about and use their bodies for combat.
I would like to see the Spellfire wielder but need to come up with a way to make it work without being broken, both Pun-Pun style and Truenamer style.

Nope. Will defense focused class against tier ones? I'm not that masochistic :)
Arcanis, can I take the flaw Lover of Nature?  It nails and aspect of my character perfectly.  http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Love_of_Nature
That looks good to me. It just means that I need to throw plants and animals early while there is still a chance at failure.  :devil

So, Primeval requires the Endurance feat as a prereq. I'm a warforged, I would never have to make any of the checks that would apply to, if I'm not mistaken. There a possibility that could be worked to something different?

edit: Also, I am coming up short for gear ideas, since I don't use weapons and anything I wear is subsumed into my form when I shapeshift. Fun. Maybe I should look into VoP instead.
Lets find something to use in place of endurance. Also no VoP, I'm trying to avoid exalted/vile and don't see a good way of making that one work. I'll work with you on gear that has properties that function while transformed though.

wondering if Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium is okay as far as feats go. and i should have a character sheet up later today
I Don't have DC so I'll need to see the feat before I can ok it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:11:42 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »

He can have it as long as he is always using it to buff everyone else but himself  :P

It increases the stat buffs from various spells by 2.  Bull's gives +6 str, Animalistic power gives +4 to all three, other spell... listed stat bonus +2
Placeholder - T'tosc

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »

He can have it as long as he is always using it to buff everyone else but himself  :P

It increases the stat buffs from various spells by 2.  Bull's gives +6 str, Animalistic power gives +4 to all three, other spell... listed stat bonus +2
Sure I'll let that go. But only on spells that add +x rather than those that change to a specific number, in case they didn't specify that in the feat.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »
Are there spells that do a variable amount now?  Are they not all static like Bull's Strength?

edited for dumbass grammar... and spelling
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:21:15 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
Is there spells that to a variable amount now?  Are they not all static like Bull's Strength?
More in reference to Polymorph or Fiendform type spells where your stats become a set number not just a bonus to stats.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »
Okay, yep.. the way the feat is worded it doesn't boost poly type stuff.

Here is the text of the feat.
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Ability_Enhancer
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:37:07 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
thaks for doing the leg work hallak.  i will be putting my sheet up in a matter of moments

Nevin Reswald
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=265110
need okay on a few of items
Arcanist Gloves MIC pg 72
Healing Belt MIC pg 110
Crystal Arcane Steel MIC pg64

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_76jVt7UUOFc/S1AgFWJluWI/AAAAAAAAAfw/SxCULEdCaHQ/s1600-h/Elric_AF.jpg
Image for the character since i am having trouble linking it to the sheet
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:52:40 PM by raith0 »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Still need an go-ahead on my magic items from the MiC.
Healing Belt.
Everlasting Rations.
Iron Ward Diamond, least.
Crystal of Life Drinking, least.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:10 PM »
Still need an go-ahead on my magic items from the MiC.
Healing Belt.
Everlasting Rations.
Iron Ward Diamond, least.
Crystal of Life Drinking, least.
All are good to go.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »
Spellfire Wielder? I like this.

I'm tossing around three ideas, one of which is a wilder gish using the above. Another is a spellthief/X/Anima Mage, using the feat entry, just because this party seems to be binder friendly. Third is an eternal blade build... but I'll find a way of making it feel more hunter-like, probably with a ranger taking favored enemy: caster as a start. And probably some binding anyway.  :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:49:22 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
Is there anyone without at least one arcane hunter ranger level?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »

Yes, Tosc is pure Spirit Shaman and may even remain so.

Also, I'm guessing Innabinder's character will not have it either.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:51:27 AM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
I'll be without as well, as it seems that I wont be able to fit it in with all the other awesome I wanna shove in there. It's really hard to cram it all, though....

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2011, 11:13:25 AM »

Yes, Tosc is pure Spirit Shaman and may even remain so.

Also, I'm guessing Innabinder's character will not have it either.
Yup.  Current plan has Crusader, Dread Necromancer, JPM, and Dread Witch.  No Ranger levels with which to take the Arcane Hunter variant are included.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
Spellfire Wielder? I like this.
That Version of Spellfire will work. The original feat from FR is just messy in its implementation.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
Arcanis, If allowed I'm going to spend some of my starting wealth on scrolls I scribe.  Character RP wise all these scrolls will reflect one of his methods for coming to understand his new magics.  Coming from and arcane background he still has a very methodical bent even though he does not remember his old knowledge.  

Along the same lines, can I use the cost reductions listed in DMG?  Requires a Skill -10%, Requires Align -30, requires class -30%.  I figure you may not want me combining all of those so how about Skill/Class (Nature/Spirit Shaman) for -40%?

I figure scrolls are going to have to go a long way in helping Tosc's versatility.
Placeholder - T'tosc

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »
Yeah 40% reduction will work. Be wary of the XP costs too, since you are already 1 level down and 2 would make you fragile.