Author Topic: Fair PC LA for DMG2 "NPC" Templates  (Read 7134 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Fair PC LA for DMG2 "NPC" Templates
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:18 AM »
Hmm... I could get wildshape as a level 11 druid, a fifth level sorcerer spell as a SLA OR best of all I could get a fighter bonus feat.  Those are totally the same level of power!
Maybe if Leadership were a fighter bonus feat.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 01:58:15 AM »
Yeah, if you could meet the prereqs for it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 02:05:19 AM »
"Special: Must not smell of onions and unwashed socks."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
"Special: Must not smell of onions and unwashed socks."
Makes me cry just thinking about it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
Hmm... I could get wildshape as a level 11 druid, a fifth level sorcerer spell as a SLA OR best of all I could get a fighter bonus feat.  Those are totally the same level of power!
Judging by divine minion it must be LA +0. :p

What about gaining (a) class feature(s) as an X of half your level, and adding one of X's class skills to your list for all classes? So an lv20 fighter with past life (wizard) could cast as a wizard 10 and have Spellcraft as a class skill.
  • Wizard/sorcerer/cleric: Spellcasting (half level)
  • Druid: Spellcasting (half level) OR wildshape (half level) OR animal companion (half level)
  • Ranger: Favoured enemies (half level) OR animal companion (full level)
  • Bard: Bardic knowledge and Bardic music (half level)
  • Paladin: Spellcasting and smite evil (full level)
  • Rogue: Sneak attack (full level)
  • Barbarian: Rage (full level)
  • Monk: Unarmed strike and flurry (full level)

Yeah, those aren't all at the same level of power. Maybe introduce more fractions like 2/3
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:49:13 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »
One thing's for sure, prodigy is not worth even +1LA.

Guardian spirit is crap as well, since you eventually get rings of protection, superseding its benefit.

In fact, I think the LA was based off the assumption you get them at 1st lv. If you had the benefits scale (ie: start off weaker, then slowly improve), the LA would drop dramatically.

Alternatively, make them cost a feat (the most I would pay for the weaker traits).
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
Int Prodigy can be a little ridiculous in low level games if you set up for it. I let PCs take these at about the levels discussed here, and had a Factotum grab Int Prodigy, and Knowledge Devotion. It threw a wrench in the game I had to get really creative around. All the others were fine, that I saw, but the Int one has issues as a +1/
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »
Prodigy would be a really nice template to slap onto a factotum. Prophet isn't too great (comparable to Uncanny Dodge, perhaps?). Vestigal Twin would be nice on any sort of caster or someone with UMD. I don't have LEoF, so I can't compare it to a sharn.

Wow, I never thought of that.  An Intelligent Prodigy Factotum would suffer 2 La (1 in this system) and get away with +2 Int and +4 skill bonus to all Int, Str, and Dex based skills.  Pretty nice synergy, although I think A Charisma prodigy on a Sorceror would be better because Charisma powers the best skills.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »
Prodigy would be a really nice template to slap onto a factotum. Prophet isn't too great (comparable to Uncfanny Dodge, perhaps?). Vestigal Twin would be nice on any sort of caster or someone with UMD. I don't have LEoF, so I can't compare it to a sharn.

Wow, I never thought of that.  An Intelligent Prodigy Factotum would suffer 2 La (1 in this system) and get away with +2 Int and +4 skill bonus to all Int, Str, and Dex based skills.  Pretty nice synergy, although I think A Charisma prodigy on a Sorceror would be better because Charisma powers the best skills.
or a 1 level dip with cha motivating Marshall diplomancy...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
Prodigy would be a really nice template to slap onto a factotum. Prophet isn't too great (comparable to Uncanny Dodge, perhaps?). Vestigal Twin would be nice on any sort of caster or someone with UMD. I don't have LEoF, so I can't compare it to a sharn.

Nah, you wouldn't get the bonus to Str and Dex based skills. Brains over Brawn just gives you a bonus equal to your Intelligence modifier on those checks; it doesn't replace the modifier. You would get a pretty nice bonus to Knowledge skills, though.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 01:17:59 AM »
The phrasing
additional +4 bonus on any of her check modifiers that are based on that ability (including ability checks and skill checks), improving those modifiers by a total of +5.
And
You gain your intelligence bonus as a modifier on

Seem to indicate the synergy works.
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 01:22:08 AM »
Hmm. Yeah, okay, I can see that.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
I have to admit, though, both of them have rather unusual wording. 
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:39 AM »
It's kind of hard to put a definite LA on that template, really. It'd be a steal at LA +1 for a factotum or even a wizard (as long as you can buy it off; +2 Int and +4 to Int-based skills probably isn't worth a caster level), but a warblade or something wouldn't get nearly as much mileage out of it.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:05 AM »
They come with racial Hit Dice on top of their LA though, right?
4 RHD and 5 LA.

Of course, the race grants spells cast as spell-likes as a 6th level favored soul and sorcerer, plus a stupid ton of goodies.  The designers were on crack when they designed it.
Then it was a pity they didn't smoke more of it. Then we wouldn't have stinkers like complete psi or savage species (which I admit was a novel concept, but the ECLs were way inflated to the extent that most monsters just weren't worth playing).  :(

That said, +12LA for dominate monster 1/day? Were they afraid you might go around charming tarrasques at 1st lv or something?  ??? If they are that paranoid, maybe let it start off as charm person, then slowly upgrade to dominate monster over the course of 20 lvs, I guess.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
Hmm, is it even OK to have class-based bonii to LA? What if a character takes Intelligence Prodigy, and then takes a level or two in Factotum a couple levels later? Would you have the LA increase, or something?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
I had assumed it was more than a dip (3+ levels). I suppose there's no harm in Factotum 2 with prodigy.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r