Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 8890 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 04:29:26 AM »
Call me a noob, but I jump around the stage with (Toon) Link flinging bombs and boomerangs at people until they're upwards of 80% on damage, then I smash them into the air, jump up and knock them upwards to the top of the screen, then double jump up next to them again and hit them with up-B in such a way that they get hit with the whole attack, the final hit launching them off the top of the screen.

I've also come to appreciate using Yoshi, by the simple fact that he can be the third pinkest character behind Peach and Kirby and that bugs the hell out of people I commonly fight.  Combine with the lamest egg-crapping tactics ever conceived and you've got my favorite character to use when my goal is simply annoying people.

Also, it's true that I like Ike.  I played him first against my cousin in a stock 10 match with two computers, and while he won the match, I got 22 KOs while he got about 8, and my max launcher speed was over 20k.  Seriously, Ike is the hardest-hitting medium character in the game and the first one I beat the 150 man brawl with, and that's just plain awesome.

Finally there's DK.  I really have got to start playing him with swing-smash enabled on the controls, because his clap attacks are brutal.  If you headbutt someone and then super punch or clap someone, they can easily get smashed off the screen even if they're only at some 60% or so.  I also love his final smash, as I once got it to cover the whole New Pork City stage for a bunch of KOs, and using it on small maps like Pictochat and Flat Zone 2 is just plain unfair.

I also have to mention Snake.  Snake is a panzy-ass bitch and needs to die.  He always breaks the smash ball in 2 hits and his Final Smash is just plain gay.  That with all the stupid remote mines means he needs to die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »
Meta Knight's gliding ability is gold. I've used this to escape several Final Smashes that hit everyone else (e.g. Ice Climbers, Olimar, Lucario) and then mopped up, stealing KOs from the one who executed the smash.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 01:56:31 AM »
It's not that hard to avoid lucario's final smash, ya kinda just move to the edge to the stage and if he's about to hit you jump because it takes so long for it to get there by the time you jump it will be over.

I used to be good with snake, but I didn't play for a while and never bothered to learn mortor gliding cause it was cheap and now I'm stuck playing Ike if I want to be decent.  So main Ike, and Snake Secondaries Marth, Toon llink, wolf, Pit and pokemon trainer.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 05:20:34 AM »
Ike, Toon Link, Wolf, and Pit seem to be the most popular characters.  Kinda makes me feel unoriginal. =P

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
I play a mix of King Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, Metaknight, Kirby, Mario, Link, and C. Falcon. Note that I don't own the game, but can use any of the above to compete at least evenly with my friends who do own the game. Of course, this may be more an indication of their skill than anything.

With Dedede I weaken from a range with forward tilts and Waddle Dee's, then lay on the hurt with fairs, bairs, down/up smashes, and occasionally the Jet Hammer or a forward smash. The Final Smash leaves something to be desired, but with the powerful aerials I can usually break it.

With Pokemon Trainer I use Squirtle to take on most of the ranged characters by dashing in with his up smash into a Surf. Anyone that needs to be at close range, C. Falcon or Kirby, is susceptible to Razor Leaf poking and Bullet Seed general winning. And Charizard is my bruiser and my main protection against other bruisers, he uses fair to advance, then uses Flamethrower to damage, and finishes with Rock Smash. All three are great at getting the Smash Ball, and the effect is decent when aimed well.

With Pikachu, for me, it's all about Thunder juggling. I still know how to use his other moves effectively, but I love keeping the enemy suspended in mid-air while Pikachu adds his "Pika!" with every strike, such a great annoyer.

With Metaknight I play a standard weaken with normal attacks/neutralb then finish with up b/down smash and Wall of Pain if necessary.

Kirby's my favorite close range fighter. He gets right in people's faces and beats the crap out of them. Advancing got a whole lot easier with his new dash attack, as well as the improved/changed aerial hammer attack. His final smash is alright, but there are better ones.

I play Mario very close range 90% of the time, but I occasionally switch to Fireball sniper mode to score some hits and generally annoy my opponent. All his aerial attacks are great, and the Cape needs no introduction. The FLUDD seems a down grade from the Mario Tornado, but it does have some limited uses.

Link I play as very annoying and ranged, hitting with bow, boomerang, and bomb before closing in for a quick smash/dair kill. Standard Link.

With C. Falcon I weaken to about 30%, then start setting up exclusively for Falcon Punches. It's more of a comedy strategy, but it has scored me early kills on numerous occasions.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »
I'm a complete opposite on Pikachu and C. Falcon. To me, Pikachu has good weakening aerials, and a fairly well-protected forward smash, as well as a fast up-A and up smash. Thunder juggling is just for the finisher, right at the top of their flight.

I disagree on Kirby vs Ivysaur; Ivysaur wants to juggle with Bullet Seed, and Kirby kills people who try to juggle him. Razor Leaf is annoying, but I tend to just poke back with Cutter. That, or jump over them and Rock. Really, Rock is an answer to most of Ivysaur's threats, and if you dodge, I can just break and land a bair. That, and whenever anyone tries to switch Pokemon, they've just opened themselves up to a free smash, thanks to the hang time at the end. And yes, his rush attack is pretty cool. Still, I like the Cutter combo as a weakener.

Olimar, on the other hand, annoys the hell out of me. I just can't figure him out, either to play or to fight. Those pikmin are just so random.
I know gameology-fu.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »
Well, I did call my C. Falcon a comedy strategy.  :D

As for Kirby vs Ivysaur, I rarely get hit by a Rock. If you know the move's parameters, it becomes much easier to dodge/punish, and Rock already has high punishablility and is easily dodged. If you break and try for the bair, Vine Whip will help ruin your day. As far as switching, if used incorrectly in can leave you open for a counter, but it can also be useful in dodging a number of Final Smashes, mostly of the the Triforce Slash/Great Aether/Critical Hit variety. I dislike Cutter as a poke, it's slow to get off, can't be used if there's a go-through-the-bottom-platform above you, and is highly telegraphed and therefore easily dodged. Kirby is a better poker than some characters, but that's because some characters don't have any pokes. Kirby is a very-close range fighter with just a hint of a mid-ranged game, Ivysaur is more a mid-range character with a touch of close combat options. So the fight comes down to how well Kirby can approuch/Ivysaur can stay at range.

I've never played a really good Olimar, but I'd imagine the trick would be to take out his Pikmin as a top priority.
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:57 AM »

As for Kirby vs Ivysaur, I rarely get hit by a Rock. If you know the move's parameters, it becomes much easier to dodge/punish, and Rock already has high punishablility and is easily dodged. If you break and try for the bair, Vine Whip will help ruin your day. As far as switching, if used incorrectly in can leave you open for a counter, but it can also be useful in dodging a number of Final Smashes, mostly of the the Triforce Slash/Great Aether/Critical Hit variety. I dislike Cutter as a poke, it's slow to get off, can't be used if there's a go-through-the-bottom-platform above you, and is highly telegraphed and therefore easily dodged. Kirby is a better poker than some characters, but that's because some characters don't have any pokes. Kirby is a very-close range fighter with just a hint of a mid-ranged game, Ivysaur is more a mid-range character with a touch of close combat options. So the fight comes down to how well Kirby can approuch/Ivysaur can stay at range.

I've never played a really good Olimar, but I'd imagine the trick would be to take out his Pikmin as a top priority.

They hardly do anything. It seems that all he is good for is his Final Smash, and even that is lame (hurts like hell, but lame nonetheless).

I just really miss Mewtwo's Disable attack. Its just disgusting! Especially if you know how to time it. Range sucked like hell, but the move was more or less a one-hit KO if you knew what you were doing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 01:02:43 AM »

They hardly do anything. It seems that all he is good for is his Final Smash, and even that is lame (hurts like hell, but lame nonetheless).

I just really miss Mewtwo's Disable attack. Its just disgusting! Especially if you know how to time it. Range sucked like hell, but the move was more or less a one-hit KO if you knew what you were doing.

But the less Pikmin he has, the worse his recovery.
Currently playing:

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 01:08:55 AM »
I'm a Bowser/Ness adept.

Bowser because the Koopa King's a pimp.

Ness because a kid with psychic powers is awesome on so much levels.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »
But the less Pikmin he has, the worse his recovery.
And his recovery move can pass through solid walls to strike things. I don't play him much, but that can be just nasty.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
As with the previous two smash bros. games, I rock with Luigi. It's always funny to watch someone be surprised when I play Luigi and win...
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 04:42:52 AM »
As with the previous two smash bros. games, I rock with Luigi. It's always funny to watch someone be surprised when I play Luigi and win...
You might also be able to play Princess Peach kinda well, too.

But no... only time I'm surprised when someone wins is if they do it with Jigglypuff.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 05:00:13 AM »
Oh, a friend of mine does that fairly often. Especially on flat stages, where rollout is more useful. He's pretty good at maneuvering to catch you with that attack...
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

igotsmeakabob!!

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm on fire!
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 05:38:49 PM »
I used to play Sheik. That is, Sheik was my best in not SSBB. In Brawl, I'm able to fulfill my fanboy-ness and play Sonic. Alot. They seem  to have stolen Sheik's fire.. she just doesn't have a good rhythm anymore.

Other characters I enjoy playing?
Snake is just so damn fun to play, all those explosives.
Pit is cool. I like the glide ability.
Link is a classic. I love his Final Smash animation.
Fire flower Mario and green and orange Luigi are fun when I want to just screw around.
-Civilization is like a herd of pigs. The herd brings many benefits, but no-one should wonder at all the sh*t.
-Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.
-Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there is one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded faith.
-Warding, warning, breeding, keeping, making, healing, storm and shade. Striding, scribing, always guarding, all as dark an end they made!
-How do they rise up?

Skeeve

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Who's Better than Kanyon?
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 03:05:24 PM »
I do my best work with Peach and the Ice Climbers, although I do pretty well with Sonic and Link as well.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »
I was left without a favorite when Mewtwo didn't make it, so I defaulted back to Marth.

I'm somewhere between Marth, Metaknight, and Falco in terms of who I'll probably play.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »
Well, Lucario is basically mewtwo with a different Down+B and appearance. Aside from being visually not mewtwo and having double-team instead of disable, he's basically just Mewtwo 2.0 (in smash bros. terms, at least. I still say they should've stuck with mewtwo)

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
I've played Lucario, and he's actually not like Mewtwo at all.
I played Mewtwo as a main in SSBM, so I'm probably going to be a bit more critical.

Lucario is better than Mewtwo, that's for sure, but he's not really that similar in playstyle at all.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 08:20:18 PM »
I've played Lucario, and he's actually not like Mewtwo at all.
I played Mewtwo as a main in SSBM, so I'm probably going to be a bit more critical.

Lucario is better than Mewtwo, that's for sure, but he's not really that similar in playstyle at all.
I have to echo this.  Any time you take away an attack and substitute a counter-move, you're really changing the substance of the character.